Changing wheels - Can I use a long rachet as a breaker bar?

Edited by:"hasnainthehotdeal"Found 4th Nov 2017
Can I use a long ratchet as a breaker bar or would I need a separate breaker bar?

I am looking to buy some tools after my tyre getting punctured a few days ago.

I have seen that there are breaker bars, torque wrench and long ratchets.

What do you guys recommend just to keep in the boot in the event of another punctured tyre + so I can use to change the wheels from summer to winter.

Thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments
Yes - but dont use a torque wrench as a breaker.

TBH I'd be surprised if you can get a ratchet long enough to be worth while - given the costs I'd just get a breaker bar.

depending on the wheels - get a decent deep socket either the plastic sheathed ones for wheels or a normal one and run electricians tape around it. maybe a small extension bar - you dont want to be catching the edge of the wheel or the car bodywork.

Certainly a good thing to carry though rather than rely on the totally shit things usually provided with the car.
Edited by: "mas99" 4th Nov 2017
Original Poster
mas995 m ago

Yes - but dont use a torque wrench as a breaker.TBH I'd be surprised if …Yes - but dont use a torque wrench as a breaker.TBH I'd be surprised if you can get a ratchet long enough to be worth while - given the costs I'd just get a breaker bar.

for the ratchet i had picked a 24 inch one - though it wasn't about being cheaper. Just that I would only have to carry that and use it as a breaker and then to tighten the bolts.

However it seems that the ratchet might end up breaking if I use it like that.

I will get a breaker bar would you recommend a 1/2 inch or a 3/4 inch ?

What do you suggest I use to tighten the bolts with?
A ratchet should be fine - wheel bolts are typically around 100Nm - any decent ratchet can handle that. For a breaker I'd go 3/4 just because it might get used for other things that need it. a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter is a couple of quid.

Personally I always use a torque wrench to fasten them. Although at the side of the road at 2 am you'd be fine to just nip them up. The fastening torques are not that high (especially when using a 2 ft ratchet) and most people overtighten.

Do not put any grease/copper slip on the threads. Fine to put a wipe around the wheel hub.

The issue generally is getting them undone when some fast fit place has done them up with an air gun.
Edited by: "mas99" 4th Nov 2017
I wouldn't use a ratchet tbh, if the mechanism breaks halfway through loosening a bolt you are stuffed, just get a breaker bar or a wheel brace, the simpler the better imho.
Original Poster
I will definitely get a breaker bar - do I need much length on the sockets at all?

I am thinking if I use the breaker to take the wheels off and a torque wrench to tighten them.

Thanks for your advice guys - really helped!
Edited by: "hasnainthehotdeal" 4th Nov 2017
Go for something like this. Screwfix
Yeah telescopic wheel brave is the tool you want.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions