Changing Windows on a tablet to Android or similar?

Posted 5th Jun
Ok, nothing but bad luck this month. So today I've smashed the screen on my tablet, so it won't swipe or turn off. (Dropped onto tiled floor of train station ). Had it years, and not a mark on it til now. I only use it to download Netflix or All4 programmes to watch on the train on the way to work, or at the station of i miss a train. Can't afford another, having just damaged my phone (in a different way), and having to replace that.
I have two redundant 7" (I think) tablets. One is a HP and one is a Microsoft Linx. They are both immaculate. I've tried to Google how to emulate Android on them, but it says for gaming. Is it possible to do it just for the purpose of downloading and watching something without bricking them? Its a shame they aren't getting used, but Windows won't let you download to watch later.

Any advice welcome, other than be more careful !
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Personally I'd sell the two working tablets and the broken one (spares and repairs) then use the money to buy a new android one or if it's a common model look at replacing the screen myself.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 5th Jun
19 Comments
I use bluestacks on a windows laptop not sure if it works on tablets
Personally I'd sell the two working tablets and the broken one (spares and repairs) then use the money to buy a new android one or if it's a common model look at replacing the screen myself.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 5th Jun
Try some of these. None will brick the device as they are simply emulators. From memory neither the Linx 7 or 8 is powerful enough to run bluestacks or didn't have enough free space.

makeuseof.com/tag…10/
On another note, you can cast from your phone to a windows device using the win10 connect app (built in)
joedastudd05/06/2020 10:22

Personally I'd sell the two working tablets and the broken one (spares and …Personally I'd sell the two working tablets and the broken one (spares and repairs) then use the money to buy a new android one or if it's a common model look at replacing the screen myself.

That was my first thought but a) I doubt i'd get much for them b) I can't be arsed with the p.i.t.a. that is now ebay c) i wanted to try and use what I already have

I may well have to eat my words though

The tablet is the Sony Xperia, not sure if it would be an easy fix or not 😔
Edited by: "K9sandFelines" 5th Jun
MT204505/06/2020 09:53

I use bluestacks on a windows laptop not sure if it works on tablets

Thanks, someone said below that it won't work on the Linx but not sure about the HP.
cecilmcroberts05/06/2020 10:22

Try some of these. None will brick the device as they are simply …Try some of these. None will brick the device as they are simply emulators. From memory neither the Linx 7 or 8 is powerful enough to run bluestacks or didn't have enough free space.https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-android-emulator-windows-10/

I was looking at that earlier. Was unsure if it would work, but just thought it might be worth a try.
cecilmcroberts05/06/2020 10:27

On another note, you can cast from your phone to a windows device using …On another note, you can cast from your phone to a windows device using the win10 connect app (built in)

I might try that, as once my new phone comes this phone would be spare. I could just use the phone but wanted a bigger screen, would also mean both batteries would run down if i cast it. Nice to know for when not out and about though. Thanks
What os is your hp tablet running?
Google "XDA linx tablet android install"
It can be done if you want to play around.
And
howtogeek.com/179…em/
Maverick7706/06/2020 12:43

What os is your hp tablet running?

I thought it was on Windows 10, but its on 8. I must have missed the opportunity when the upgrade was a available.
Blueskinnedbeast06/06/2020 13:36

Google "XDA linx tablet android install"It can be done if you want to play …Google "XDA linx tablet android install"It can be done if you want to play around.And https://www.howtogeek.com/179691/4-ways-to-run-android-on-your-pc-and-make-your-own-dual-os-system/

Thanks for the first suggestion. I came across the link the other day, which made me wonder whether it was. doable.
K9sandFelines06/06/2020 16:17

Thanks for the first suggestion. I came across the link the other day, …Thanks for the first suggestion. I came across the link the other day, which made me wonder whether it was. doable.

Which version do you have and how old is it?

The custom android ROMs are older versions but should be okay for your needs.
You can download on W10 with the Netflix app.
W10 was still free via the Accessibility route the last I heard.
Blueskinnedbeast06/06/2020 16:39

Which version do you have and how old is it?The custom android ROMs are …Which version do you have and how old is it?The custom android ROMs are older versions but should be okay for your needs.

Windows 8 on the HP and 10 on the Linx
PeacePipe06/06/2020 16:46

You can download on W10 with the Netflix app.W10 was still free via the …You can download on W10 with the Netflix app.W10 was still free via the Accessibility route the last I heard.

I can't see the option on the tablet, is that only on the desktop?
K9sandFelines07/06/2020 09:16

I can't see the option on the tablet, is that only on the desktop?

Are you talking about Netflix or W10?
PeacePipe06/06/2020 16:46

You can download on W10 with the Netflix app.W10 was still free via the …You can download on W10 with the Netflix app.W10 was still free via the Accessibility route the last I heard.

It turns out the apps needed updating. So thank you, I can now indeed download via Netflix (on the Linx anyway). I don't think you are able to via All4, but unsure... maybe that just needs an update aswell?
K9sandFelines07/06/2020 16:24

It turns out the apps needed updating. So thank you, I can now indeed …It turns out the apps needed updating. So thank you, I can now indeed download via Netflix (on the Linx anyway). I don't think you are able to via All4, but unsure... maybe that just needs an update aswell?

Nice one.

I didn't know there was an All4 app.
Post a comment
@
    Text