Channel 4 HD removed from FreeSat

Found 23rd Feb
Channel 4 HD was removed from FreeSat on 22nd Feb 2018.
I can't find much of an explanation about it. Probably down to money.

This is a heads up to retune any of your HD recording back to SD.

Community Updates
21 Comments
They didn't give much of a warning either, I got an email from them 3 days ago.
I didn't get any warning.
On one box, the channel was working and on another it wasn't.
Working fine for me!
From Thursday 22nd February, Channel 4 HD will be absent from Freesat's channel listings and its catch up service. The reason? The broadcaster says that Freesat has levied "a very significant" fee increase at them, according to Seenit.

However, not every Channel 4 channel will be absent. Channel 4 SD, E4, More 4, 4seven and Film 4 won't be affected, and can still be watched via the usual TV guide.
J4GG423 m ago

From Thursday 22nd February, Channel 4 HD will be absent from Freesat's …From Thursday 22nd February, Channel 4 HD will be absent from Freesat's channel listings and its catch up service. The reason? The broadcaster says that Freesat has levied "a very significant" fee increase at them, according to Seenit.However, not every Channel 4 channel will be absent. Channel 4 SD, E4, More 4, 4seven and Film 4 won't be affected, and can still be watched via the usual TV guide.

Thank you for the explanation
J4GG42 h, 22 m ago

From Thursday 22nd February, Channel 4 HD will be absent from Freesat's …From Thursday 22nd February, Channel 4 HD will be absent from Freesat's channel listings and its catch up service. The reason? The broadcaster says that Freesat has levied "a very significant" fee increase at them, according to Seenit.However, not every Channel 4 channel will be absent. Channel 4 SD, E4, More 4, 4seven and Film 4 won't be affected, and can still be watched via the usual TV guide.

Sky trying to claw back some of the football money no doubt.
Would you not be able to re-add it manually if they haven't encrypted it?

We did something similar years ago with our Sky HD Box. ITV HD was available on freesat but it wasn't on the Sky EPG but you could add it manually.
Edited by: "freakstyler" 23rd Feb
Freesat and free tv in general is going backwards not advancing since update on my Sony tv no all4 no itv player.
And what's happened to text on BBC channels? It disappeared more than a month ago.
Wow! do people still watch live tv? Use catchup/on demand for watching stuff, watching live tv just limits your life too much, free your life and use catchup tv/tv on demand watch stuff when you want to and not when they want to broadcast it!!!!
larrylightweight6 h, 47 m ago

Freesat and free tv in general is going backwards not advancing since …Freesat and free tv in general is going backwards not advancing since update on my Sony tv no all4 no itv player.

It’s because no one is watching live tv. Smart TVs are only updated for 4-5 years, if you want the apps updated buy a Roku box (you can access iplayer, itv player etc plus Netflix, nowtv, prime if you have subscriptions through this, all you need is a wireless internet connection, a spare hdmi slot in your tv and your good to go!
cmdr_elito2 h, 23 m ago

It’s because no one is watching live tv. Smart TVs are only updated for 4 …It’s because no one is watching live tv. Smart TVs are only updated for 4-5 years, if you want the apps updated buy a Roku box (you can access iplayer, itv player etc plus Netflix, nowtv, prime if you have subscriptions through this, all you need is a wireless internet connection, a spare hdmi slot in your tv and your good to go!

That won't help for live events or shows which won't be available on apps
drasim9 m ago

That won't help for live events or shows which won't be available on apps

Some apps allow you to stream live such as nowtv (sky movies).

Who will watch live events in the future? I already don’t and many other people already don’t in increasing numbers.

There’s been a number of YouGov surveys and also surveys from sky and Virgin all showing this trend of moving away from live tv and on demand viewing increasing significantly.

I’d expect within the next 10-15 years for the sky dish network and normal tv transmitters to disappear. Sky is already in process of launching fully a service that uses the internet instead of a dish. This is why the government is trying to ensure broadband roll out to everyone!
cmdr_elito2 h, 15 m ago

Some apps allow you to stream live such as nowtv (sky movies).Who will …Some apps allow you to stream live such as nowtv (sky movies).Who will watch live events in the future? I already don’t and many other people already don’t in increasing numbers. There’s been a number of YouGov surveys and also surveys from sky and Virgin all showing this trend of moving away from live tv and on demand viewing increasing significantly. I’d expect within the next 10-15 years for the sky dish network and normal tv transmitters to disappear. Sky is already in process of launching fully a service that uses the internet instead of a dish. This is why the government is trying to ensure broadband roll out to everyone!

I think you’ll find there’s a massive demand for live tv - that’s why Sky and BT have just paid £4.464bn for the rights to screen just premiership football. There’ll always be a demand for live sport.
Live sport can easily be delivered through say nowtv and is already available in this way. People don’t need sports channels through a box and dish in its traditional sense. Even live sport viewing numbers are falling, yes there is still big demand but I think that will change in time. Ticket sales in grounds and interest in physical sports is decreasing (watching them I mean), this is why many clubs have got into difficulties. Many younger people are more interested in doing sports or exercise like going out running than sitting and watching a marathon on tv with a beer on the sofa. It’s easy to catch the highlights (the few good bits of a game), online after the match!
Curlyman831 h, 17 m ago

I think you’ll find there’s a massive demand for live tv - that’s why Sky a …I think you’ll find there’s a massive demand for live tv - that’s why Sky and BT have just paid £4.464bn for the rights to screen just premiership football. There’ll always be a demand for live sport.

Agreed, but they have actually paid less per match for the first time since the premier league started. It's a slippery slope as they have realised there are easier and cheaper ways for people to watch live sporting events.
deleted1431257
cmdr_elito14 h, 1 m ago

Wow! do people still watch live tv? Use catchup/on demand for watching …Wow! do people still watch live tv? Use catchup/on demand for watching stuff, watching live tv just limits your life too much, free your life and use catchup tv/tv on demand watch stuff when you want to and not when they want to broadcast it!!!!

People still do watch live tv, I watch live tv because of potential spoilers from social circles and news channels.
deleted1431257
cmdr_elito8 h, 54 m ago

Live sport can easily be delivered through say nowtv and is already …Live sport can easily be delivered through say nowtv and is already available in this way. People don’t need sports channels through a box and dish in its traditional sense. Even live sport viewing numbers are falling, yes there is still big demand but I think that will change in time. Ticket sales in grounds and interest in physical sports is decreasing (watching them I mean), this is why many clubs have got into difficulties. Many younger people are more interested in doing sports or exercise like going out running than sitting and watching a marathon on tv with a beer on the sofa. It’s easy to catch the highlights (the few good bits of a game), online after the match!

Live TV Sport viewing figures are falling because of the ease of accessing illegal streams, even on sources like Twitch (just today I watched the Real Madrid vs Alaves match and only having to find a new stream twice during the whole match plus half time). This is partly due to the rights holders spending so much on rights for sports especially football and trying to recoup the cost by clearly fleecing customers.
cmdr_elito15 h, 30 m ago

It’s because no one is watching live tv. Smart TVs are only updated for 4 …It’s because no one is watching live tv. Smart TVs are only updated for 4-5 years, if you want the apps updated buy a Roku box (you can access iplayer, itv player etc plus Netflix, nowtv, prime if you have subscriptions through this, all you need is a wireless internet connection, a spare hdmi slot in your tv and your good to go!

All of these I do anyway in all rooms of the house my Sony tv is just over a year old with no itv player or all4 player. Like I said Freesat and free tv is going backwards.
hibees23rd Feb

Sky trying to claw back some of the football money no doubt.

Except that Freesat has nothing to do with Sky.
C4HD is still free to air, you can tune in manually and set recording manually
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants