Charged by Amazon USA for prime!?

Posted 15th May
Hi
I signed up for a free prime trial and went to cancel it just before it auto renewed. I was offered another month free so took it. I've just checked my bank statement for this month and noticed a non GBP purchase fee and a non GBP transfer fee. on further inspection I've noticed an Amazon prime subscription fee transaction for Amazon.com

Obviously I haven't signed up for it so can only assume some kind of mistake on their part. I've managed to log into Amazon.com with my Amazon.co.uk details and sure enough I was signed up to prime in the states!

I've now cancelled but has anyone any idea how on earth this can happen?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Did you accidently log onto amazon.com using your normal account, and sign up for prime? That's the only way it could really happen.
19 Comments
Did you accidently log onto amazon.com using your normal account, and sign up for prime? That's the only way it could really happen.
arjanvirdi15/05/2020 23:52

Did you accidently log onto amazon.com using your normal account, and sign …Did you accidently log onto amazon.com using your normal account, and sign up for prime? That's the only way it could really happen.

Well no! I'm not that dumb
wolfee15/05/2020 23:54

Well no! I'm not that dumb

Check your emails you may get a shocker lol joking
Can understand how it'd be easy to log into a .com account rather than a .co.uk account...but to accidentally subscribe to a prime membership would take some doing. I'd have to authorize it etc with my bank details. Even I'm not that daft. I don't even want a prime membership...it was offered free so I thought I'd try it....no way would I sign up to it without the free trial.
So how on Earth can could this happen?
Anyone else ever experienced similar?
MR112316/05/2020 00:14

Check your emails you may get a shocker lol joking

I already have . It did cross my mind that maybe I'd got drunk and ordered a load of unwanted stuff.....then I remembered that I haven't had a drink for months
wolfee16/05/2020 00:14

Can understand how it'd be easy to log into a .com account rather than a …Can understand how it'd be easy to log into a .com account rather than a .co.uk account...but to accidentally subscribe to a prime membership would take some doing. I'd have to authorize it etc with my bank details. Even I'm not that daft. I don't even want a prime membership...it was offered free so I thought I'd try it....no way would I sign up to it without the free trial.So how on Earth can could this happen?Anyone else ever experienced similar?

How long was it since your first prime, that you were offered another month free? It could be the other month free was on amazon.com mistakenly which you can get another free trial even if you had one on .co.uk
arjanvirdi16/05/2020 00:17

How long was it since your first prime, that you were offered another …How long was it since your first prime, that you were offered another month free? It could be the other month free was on amazon.com mistakenly which you can get another free trial even if you had one on .co.uk

I'm still a prime member with the free trial in the UK. I've never had a prime trial in the USA. So definitely not that. Seems the unwanted subscription did start around the same time as the extension to the UK prime trial though.
I'm guessing some kind of system error. It's not a major issue as it's now cancelled and I automatically received a message saying I'd be due a refund if I hadn't used it, which is easier than I thought it'd be.
Just really confused how it could happen. Was also a little worried about potential fraud or other security issues.
Thanks for ideas though

Btw...I use the Amazon app anyway.
Edited by: "wolfee" 16th May
Contact Amazon us, I'm sure they'll understand and issue a refund
Just a thought, do you use a vpn? Occasionally maybe?
deals6916/05/2020 00:38

Contact Amazon us, I'm sure they'll understand and issue a refund

Thanks, I might contact them just to see if they can shed any light onto what's gone on. Reckon it'll get refunded automatically.
Having said that, it's not the real issue, I'm more concerned with how it can happen. What's to say I'm not going to get signed up for prime in every country in the world :/
Ringfinger16/05/2020 00:42

Just a thought, do you use a vpn? Occasionally maybe?

That did cross my mind, and yes I've used one in the past....but not for months. So pretty certain that's not an issue
wolfee16/05/2020 00:45

That did cross my mind, and yes I've used one in the past....but not for …That did cross my mind, and yes I've used one in the past....but not for months. So pretty certain that's not an issue

I've just put my vpn on and googled Amazon. It still took me to .co.uk. .I then went incognito and googled Amazon, it took me to .com. Don't know what this proves, or how it can help, but it shows it can happen. Incidentally, if I use vpn I always go incognito. Matter of course really.
Ringfinger16/05/2020 00:58

I've just put my vpn on and googled Amazon. It still took me to .co.uk. .I …I've just put my vpn on and googled Amazon. It still took me to .co.uk. .I then went incognito and googled Amazon, it took me to .com. Don't know what this proves, or how it can help, but it shows it can happen. Incidentally, if I use vpn I always go incognito. Matter of course really.

I'd guess it'll depend on the server you're connected to. Connect to an Italian server and Google Amazon and I'm assuming it'll take you to Amazon.it

Ha ha...nope, I'm wrong. Just tried it with windscribe. Connected to a German server and it took me to .com site when I Googled Amazon on duck duck go. Amazon UK was first in results through chrome
Edited by: "wolfee" 16th May
wolfee16/05/2020 01:06

I'd guess it'll depend on the server you're connected to. Connect to an … I'd guess it'll depend on the server you're connected to. Connect to an Italian server and Google Amazon and I'm assuming it'll take you to Amazon.itHa ha...nope, I'm wrong. Just tried it with windscribe. Connected to a German server and it took me to .com site when I Googled Amazon on duck duck go. Amazon UK was first in results through chrome

Guess the moral of the story is 'Habits are bad on the internet' or 'check twice'.
Not sure about .com but it’s all too easy to subscribe to prime accidentally. My missus somehow manages it whilst setting up a firestick and it just automatically updates your account. Fortunately they refunded as they could see that it had never actually been used
To be fair Amazon refunded me and apologized immediately. Email was a bit gobbledygook, but they said they were sorry for the "unauthorized transaction" whatever that means. Still don't know how it happened but seems Amazon are a law unto themselves and can sign you up to their services without you authorizing them. I'm about to delete all previous payment methods to ensure they don't do it again.
First I've heard of Amazon signing someone up to prime without their authorization, especially prime for a completely different country.

Most likely human error.
Edited by: "McShane1" 18th May
McShane1:
First I've heard of Amazon signing someone up to prime without their authorization, especially prime for a completely different country.

Most likely human error.

I'm the first to admit a mistake, heaven knows I've made enough of them in the past . And no doubt there was some error on my part...perhaps using an American link to the prime trial.
But even if that is the case I didn't go through with authorising the transaction and Amazon have admitted as much.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions