Groups

Charging a battery for 24 hours

Just bought a new phone. Is it still nessesary to charge a phone for 24 hours before use nowadays with the new Lith- Ion batteries?

I never really understood why....

16 Comments

Original Poster

Nice one mate!

I'm not sure, but it was only 16 hours you needed to do a 1st charge for.

Banned

didnt think you needed to charge them like that now, well i never have with any of my phones, just charge till full

[COLOR=black]Whats best to do is charge it fully 1st time then drain the battery fully then recharge it again.. REPEAT a few times. This stretches the battery life out. Hope this helps. Felicity.[/COLOR]

nokia's battery require a number of charges before reaching its full capacity.... i got mine working for a day only on my first charge... i wonder what happened and did a search on internet... i found out that people been talking about this. So, I give it a try... the second charging allowed me to use the battery for more than a day and it gets better after a number of charges... now i'm getting full 2 days.... hope this info is useful..

Found this info last year after getting a new phone. Looks like you can really just charge your device for a couple of hours for a full charge and then use it. Found similar info at a few other sites at the time via google saying the same thing.

Preparing new lithium-ion for useUnlike nickel and lead-based batteries, … Preparing new lithium-ion for useUnlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack. However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation

]http//ww…htm

Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!

Banned

I think 12 hours is quite enough

Banned

missflic;1611285

[COLOR=black]Whats best to do is charge it fully 1st time then drain the … [COLOR=black]Whats best to do is charge it fully 1st time then drain the battery fully then recharge it again.. REPEAT a few times. This stretches the battery life out. Hope this helps. Felicity.[/COLOR]

Bad advice as not true anymore.

csiman;1611732

Bad advice as not true anymore.

so YOU say

actually, it is good practice to at least once a month let a phone fully discharge then fully recharge again to help maintain life and performance of the battery. also, many batteries these days require a few full discharge - recharge cycles before they reach optimum performance.

I got a new Sony Ericsson recently and the manual said to charge for 3 hours first time - I seem to remember leaving my first mobile to charge for about 4 weeks lol

jamie60509;1616745

I got a new Sony Ericsson recently and the manual said to charge for 3 … I got a new Sony Ericsson recently and the manual said to charge for 3 hours first time - I seem to remember leaving my first mobile to charge for about 4 weeks lol

Very true, lol. Got a new sony last week and it's only 2.5 hours now. Did make me nervous that it wouldn't work so left it on for a bit longer :whistling:

RickyBobby;1618288

Very true, lol. Got a new sony last week and it's only 2.5 hours now. Did … Very true, lol. Got a new sony last week and it's only 2.5 hours now. Did make me nervous that it wouldn't work so left it on for a bit longer :whistling:

wouldnt matter, sony ericssons just stop charging once battery if full

shanecr;1618322

wouldnt matter, sony ericssons just stop charging once battery if full

Thats handy to know actually, thanks!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767383
      2. 5am gym crew20132
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2469
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1319

See more discussions