Groups

"charity" listings on ebay lottery type listings

Banned
    notice a few "charity" listings on ebay for these go go hamster things, there is a person with a few lisings at .99p with 50% going to charity and the winner of the "lottery" gets the chance of winning the actual items

now these listings between them have sold over a 1000 items so thats over a thousand quid so far in a few days with over a week left to run

obviously some will goto charity but this seems a preety easy way of making a lot of cash for nothing and i didnt think this sort of thing was allowed on ebay but it seems it is?

item numbers
    360212952032 - 557 sold @ 99p 50% to charity
    360213179968 - 477 sold @ 99p 50% to charity
    360213201963 - 41 sold @ 99p 10% to charity

all the same seller
    peoples opinions of this?

19 Comments

does the money go to the charity thou, was it a charity auction or just wrote ion the listing that they would donate some???

im suprised its allowed.. theyre not actually selling an item.. theyre selling the chance to win an item... not sure

i recently set up a donation listing with 15% going towards diabetes UK, basically it adds a "fee" to your account and you can pay it just like ebay fees, i originally thought it would just take it straight off the paypal amount

Original Poster Banned

says in the listings and in 1 of them there are a couple of questions from people......i presume clicking the give to charity box automatically sends it there via ebay but not entirely sure tbh

dont quite understand how this can be allowed as you are not purchasing anything tangible and paypal would refund surely

ebay does nt allow "raffles" to be listed but despite these getting reported they have yet to bother removing them(mind you the more that are sold the more profit for ebay)...........i emailed a seller of these raffle tickets and asked for a pic of the hamsters with her user id beside it...like sellers on hot deals...and she responded with waffle about not having to as she has not got the time.....so really i could list one of my daughters hamsters....raffle it.......and get my mate to buy a ticket and she could " win"....alternativley....i could list a hamster i dont have....and still do the same thing.........there is no proof there are any hamsters...avoid ...and as for giving to charity...well that could be as little as £1 per LISTING.....which is a laugh

If it has the proper eBay 'Charity' logo then the money automatically gets deducted by eBay but they still shouldn't be allowed and if reported will be removed.

bet their mate wins

lorsmanic;7094939

ebay does nt allow "raffles" to be listed but despite these getting … ebay does nt allow "raffles" to be listed but despite these getting reported they have yet to bother removing them(mind you the more that are sold the more profit for ebay)...........i emailed a seller of these raffle tickets and asked for a pic of the hamsters with her user id beside it...like sellers on hot deals...and she responded with waffle about not having to as she has not got the time.....so really i could list one of my daughters hamsters....raffle it.......and get my mate to buy a ticket and she could " win"....alternativley....i could list a hamster i dont have....and still do the same thing.........there is no proof there are any hamsters...avoid ...and as for giving to charity...well that could be as little as £1 per LISTING.....which is a laugh

omg i just thought that aswell theres no proof they have these bloomin things

Original Poster Banned

lorsmanic;7094939

ebay does nt allow "raffles" to be listed but despite these getting … ebay does nt allow "raffles" to be listed but despite these getting reported they have yet to bother removing them(mind you the more that are sold the more profit for ebay)...........i emailed a seller of these raffle tickets and asked for a pic of the hamsters with her user id beside it...like sellers on hot deals...and she responded with waffle about not having to as she has not got the time.....so really i could list one of my daughters hamsters....raffle it.......and get my mate to buy a ticket and she could " win"....alternativley....i could list a hamster i dont have....and still do the same thing.........there is no proof there are any hamsters...avoid ...and as for giving to charity...well that could be as little as £1 per LISTING.....which is a laugh

funny thing is my brother rang me the other night saying someone has made an error in the listing and put them at the wrong price so he bought 10.......... he rang me to tell me then realised it was a raffle ......he messaged the person and they refunded straight away

he not gonna live it down with me for a long time tho:-D

Original Poster Banned

Syzable;7094961

If it has the proper eBay 'Charity' logo then the money automatically … If it has the proper eBay 'Charity' logo then the money automatically gets deducted by eBay but they still shouldn't be allowed and if reported will be removed.

ive reported them all yesterday and by the look of 1 of the comments im not the only 1 but they are all still there

I can't believe that top auction!

They've made £230 so far on a raffle!!

Anyone that ever buys one of these raffle things..........wait till it ends and if you don't win then file a paypal claim as it was a 'intagible' item and against eBay rules and you get your money back. Easy :-D

ilovepink;7094967

bet their mate wins

exactly...........so they can list something they dont have.get a pic off the net ,slap it on and hey presto ...alot of money !!...all those daft people buying tickets

Original Poster Banned

casparwhite;7094934

says in the listings and in 1 of them there are a couple of questions … says in the listings and in 1 of them there are a couple of questions from people......i presume clicking the give to charity box automatically sends it there via ebay but not entirely sure tbhdont quite understand how this can be allowed as you are not purchasing anything tangible and paypal would refund surely

Syzable;7095008

Anyone that ever buys one of these raffle things..........wait till it … Anyone that ever buys one of these raffle things..........wait till it ends and if you don't win then file a paypal claim as it was a 'intagible' item and against eBay rules and you get your money back. Easy :-D

:roll:

parrot:-D

casparwhite;7094980

funny thing is my brother rang me the other night saying someone has made … funny thing is my brother rang me the other night saying someone has made an error in the listing and put them at the wrong price so he bought 10.......... he rang me to tell me then realised it was a raffle ......he messaged the person and they refunded straight awayhe not gonna live it down with me for a long time tho:-D

awww bless ..i bet he couldnt believe his luck getting 10 hamsters:thumbsup: for £1 each...lol

casparwhite;7095020

:roll:parrot:-D

I was merely confirming for you. :whistling:

Original Poster Banned

lorsmanic;7095030

awww bless ..i bet he couldnt believe his luck getting 10 … awww bless ..i bet he couldnt believe his luck getting 10 hamsters:thumbsup: for £1 each...lol

nah he thought he'd got 10 balls and hamster included..........i was like are u sure whats the item number.......then by the time he found it he realised and the mocking began....... and will contimue for some time yet:)

ebay dont allow lotteries but you are right ebay dont seem to care as they are getting their little bit so are paypal, but it is also illegal as to run a lottery you have to have a licence, i am part of a local organisation and for us to be able to do bingos christmas raffles etc we have to pay the local authorities for a lottery licence so there must be someone better than ebay we could report them to.

Original Poster Banned

Jimston;7095663

ebay dont allow lotteries but you are right ebay dont seem to care as … ebay dont allow lotteries but you are right ebay dont seem to care as they are getting their little bit so are paypal, but it is also illegal as to run a lottery you have to have a licence, i am part of a local organisation and for us to be able to do bingos christmas raffles etc we have to pay the local authorities for a lottery licence so there must be someone better than ebay we could report them to.

3 days with over a grand taken and 7 days left........even after fees and stuff this person is likely to be walking away with a grand or so cash by the end

gonna start making a few of my own listings, ill be a millionaire this time next year
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044573
      2. Santander - Compensation1519
      3. Giffgaff New goodybags22
      4. Get an annual MOT reminder66

See more discussions