Charity Shops

Found 26th Jul
Does anyone here, like myself, love to go into charity shops just to have a look around searching for a good bargain
Community Updates
Misc
38 Comments
deleted1132166
Trick is to go into well heeled areas, there you can find designer cast offs at silly prices
Nope, might in 20 years when they are overflowing with lots of geeky tech.

The closest Charty shop to us is quite upmarket. Sells old books for £50 and watches for £200etc.
Oneday7738 m ago

Nope, might in 20 years when they are overflowing with lots of geeky tech. …Nope, might in 20 years when they are overflowing with lots of geeky tech. The closest Charty shop to us is quite upmarket. Sells old books for £50 and watches for £200etc.

wow where do they get their donations from?
deleted79467
best charity shop find was when ,
my mrs nabbed a 1970s pucci handbag for £15
was worth about 500 quid
I got a whole outfit for a friend's wedding once. Nice principals one. My sister found some designer shoes. Think they were laboutins
Niixxxy25 m ago

wow where do they get their donations from?

Local donations.
It's a couple of miles from me but there is a lot of Oil money in my area.
Charity shops used to be great. Most are run by young managers or have young volunteers now so have access to buy it now on eBay, never what they actually sell for. Sometimes, well more like most of the time they really take the pee with their prices.
Edited by: "caverncity" 26th Jul
I found some new timberland toddlers sandals for £5. No box but still had tags on. Turned out too small for my lad so flogged them on eBay and got £16 😁.
I donated 1/2 the profit to the collection tub next time I passed Always worth a look.
Edited by: "BFCsider" 26th Jul
Primark is a out 50% cheaper than equivalent goods in my local charity shop.
caverncity1 h, 8 m ago

Charity shops used to be great. Most are run by young managers or have …Charity shops used to be great. Most are run by young managers or have young volunteers now so have access to buy it now on eBay, never what they actually sell for. Sometimes, well more like most of the time they really take the pee with their prices.

I used to volunteer, I have in a number of shops. The staff have the first pickings of the donations for half the price. One manager put most of the donations on eBay for a ridiculous price & ran the place like it was a designer shop!
I love looking around charity shops. I never buy the clothes but I find things for my home. The best thing I bought were curtain rings, a bag of 40 for £1.99 Also a foot stool for the garden £2.50.
I donated some jewellery to a charity shop a few years ago, it was never put out for sale
summerof762 m ago

I love looking around charity shops. I never buy the clothes but I find …I love looking around charity shops. I never buy the clothes but I find things for my home. The best thing I bought were curtain rings, a bag of 40 for £1.99 Also a foot stool for the garden £2.50.

nice find.
summerof761 m ago

I donated some jewellery to a charity shop a few years ago, it was never …I donated some jewellery to a charity shop a few years ago, it was never put out for sale

Obviously a member of staff had it!
Each week I pop into charity shops, round here they are super cheap for some things (blu rays, books and console games all get lumped in at 50p each) but I find clothing is similar to budget shops (primark, asda etc) Always find it cheeky when they are charging a lot for a used George t-shirt
They were once excellent off the high street, off the busy streets, but they have moved from quiet side streets into the high streets.

The charity shops (and coffee places) dominate my high street (and elsewhere); to an extent that they (with Amazon etc.) toxified and killed off all normal shops because landlords are happy to host them. When they (and coffee shops) do exist in low numbers in the High Street, move off the High Streets, even with Amazon pumping away, the landlords would have to lower the rent, then normal shops are more financially viable, such as hardware stores, stationery, toys, butchers, greengrocers, clothes.

Other reasons as to why charity shops are toxic to normal shops: they have free volunteers, they are subsidised by donations (making them almost impossible to fail as a business), they have no audit trace of all incoming inventories...etc. While big businesses in the High Street suffer, do you see big charity shops announce the same fate?! Do they ever merge for business operational efficiency?!
Edited by: "splender" 27th Jul
I do, I feel my other half doesn't like it tho =(
summerof7618 h, 58 m ago

I donated some jewellery to a charity shop a few years ago, it was never …I donated some jewellery to a charity shop a few years ago, it was never put out for sale

I donated a watch the other week, paid £12 for it in Debenhams and saw it the next day in the charity shop for £45
joesmum47 s ago

I donated a watch the other week, paid £12 for it in Debenhams and saw it …I donated a watch the other week, paid £12 for it in Debenhams and saw it the next day in the charity shop for £45

Niixxxy3 m ago

I should have put it on eBay!
summerof7620 h, 34 m ago

Was it a pearl necklace?
summerof7621 h, 2 m ago

How do you know that? Did you camp outside? If it was a decent piece it could have just sold straight away
Used to be a manager at one, the donations would vary from absolute garbage we had to bin to expensive stuff, best donations we had in terms of value was an oil painting we sent to auction and got nearly £800 for, a pair of swarvoski binoculars we sent to the ebay section £330 and an harrods fur coat that went for just over £500, the binoculars nearly got binned as they was in a dusty case at the bottom of a box filled with mcdonalds toys and outdated (by about 10 years) phone accessories.

We also got quite a few bits of gold and silver jewellery in with costume stuff, I had a knack of being like a magpie and being able to pick the good stuff out on instinct.
summerof7626th Jul

They often move donations to their other shops to maximise sales.
My local charity shop sells vinyl LP's for £1!!!! I kid you not i've had some great albums form there, War of The Worlds, Bowie, and even some decent soundtracks. I always give a bit extra though as they're worth well more. Tip is try and stick to local ones rather than the more clued up popular ones, who i think charge far too much for some of the stuff
Oneday7726th Jul

Nope, might in 20 years when they are overflowing with lots of geeky tech. …Nope, might in 20 years when they are overflowing with lots of geeky tech. The closest Charty shop to us is quite upmarket. Sells old books for £50 and watches for £200etc.

They are now if you know where to look, get some real retro stuff.
I love to pop in and have a browse. Got some super bargains over the years and you like to think you're helping in some way. Some of the shops are a bit cheeky though, like selling stuff clearly from Poundland for twice as much!

Mind you, the public are just as cheeky. I spoke to a volunteer the other day about donations left outside and theft etc. (disgraceful, from a charity) and she said "we do get left some rubbish though..." so I commented that I suppose some donations just can't be sold in poor condition. "No" she said. "We get left ACTUAL RUBBISH like food containers, bottles and refuse in bin bags which we have to pay to dispose of."

You just can't understand humanity sometimes...
themachman9 h, 45 m ago

I kid you not i've had some great albums form there, War of The Worlds, …I kid you not i've had some great albums form there, War of The Worlds, Bowie, and even some decent soundtracks.

What were the decent ones?
deeky5 m ago

What were the decent ones?

i got the terminator original, dawn of the dead and midnight express for a quid each deeky. bargain
just wanted to add I gift aid too and often get a little letter in the post saying I have raise £xx for the charity
themachman2 m ago

i got the terminator original, dawn of the dead and midnight express for a …i got the terminator original, dawn of the dead and midnight express for a quid each deeky. bargain

About 25 years ago I pick up virtually the whole Wishbone Ash catalogue on vinyl from 2nd hand shops, markets and car boot sales. They're still in the loft, all warped
deeky8 m ago

About 25 years ago I pick up virtually the whole Wishbone Ash catalogue on …About 25 years ago I pick up virtually the whole Wishbone Ash catalogue on vinyl from 2nd hand shops, markets and car boot sales. They're still in the loft, all warped

vinyl has become big business and now people are clued up about some of the prices, buying it up until about 10 years ago was dirt cheap as no one wanted it! now everyones on the bandwagon
Yeah, and my collection is worthless
themachman10 h, 38 m ago

My local charity shop sells vinyl LP's for £1!!!! I kid you not i've had …My local charity shop sells vinyl LP's for £1!!!! I kid you not i've had some great albums form there, War of The Worlds, Bowie, and even some decent soundtracks. I always give a bit extra though as they're worth well more. Tip is try and stick to local ones rather than the more clued up popular ones, who i think charge far too much for some of the stuff

Sounds like my Bf’s ideal charity shop yep he collects vinyl
deeky6 h, 9 m ago

my husband had his cousin's Beatles LP collection but he wrote their names on the sleeves (and got some wrong (:I) - think they went in the bin some years ago (after lying in the garage)
deeky8 h, 0 m ago

It could be priceless
What about all those LPs they melted and shaped into plant pots,Bet they would be worth a fortune now.
I prefer using local hospice shops to donate too,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants