Expired

Cheap 2gb Ram pc 4200 (i think)

8 replies
Found 16th May 2008
Looking to upgrade the gfs pc, not entirely sure what ram it takes, next post has a photo of what's currently in it, any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated:

1. Ask
  2. PC
  3. RAM
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. PC
  3. RAM
8 Comments

Original Poster

[URL="http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1661/dsc00037uf5.th.jpg"]http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1661/dsc00037uf5.th.jpg[/URL]

Is it from a desktop? Also what make is the computer?

Try scanning the computer using the Crucial website [url]www.crucial.com[/url] and it will give you upgrade options for it.

You can either let is scan it or you can go through the drop-down menu to select the manufacturer and model, etc. If you get types of RAM upgrade then you can take the model numbers and see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but you might just end up saving a couple of quid to be honest. You could check the Kingston Value RAM that was going cheap on Play.com Just try searching for 'Kingston RAM' as there were some 1GB sticks for about £12 each the other week. Get two and you've doubled the RAM in the machine for under £25, the Crucial upgrade kit will probably be just under £30 so it's up to you if you want to pay the extra couple of quid for Crucial RAM or not.

PC2 on the sticker means it's DDR2, I couldn't see whether it was normal size or SODIMM but if you put the model number (the first part of the second line) into a search engine you should get details of it.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;2118478

PC2 on the sticker means it's DDR2, I couldn't see whether it was normal … PC2 on the sticker means it's DDR2, I couldn't see whether it was normal size or SODIMM but if you put the model number (the first part of the second line) into a search engine you should get details of it.

Right, done that - it's 4200 ddr2.

Used the crucial memory checker and it appears the pc have 4 slots - 2 are currently occupied. one with 1x512 and the other with 1x256.

Seen these on play.com:

play.com/PC/…tml

Am I right in thinking this will be compatible? The crucial memory checker says that the mobo may not be able to take a 2gb stick.

Apologies for all the noob questions, all advice appreciated!

try and find the make and model of the mainboard, someone will know if it will take larger or faster sticks.
For top performance try and put memory in, in "matched pairs" so be prepared to bin the old ones

Original Poster

maddogb;2123206

try and find the make and model of the mainboard, someone will know if it … try and find the make and model of the mainboard, someone will know if it will take larger or faster sticks.For top performance try and put memory in, in "matched pairs" so be prepared to bin the old ones

thanks, to be honest "top performance" isn't a concern, really just trying to get vista to run in 768mb of ram aint fun....

just lookin for summat cheap so that i can (or she can) switch between word and firefox in less than 20 seconds.........

grex9101;2123401

thanks, to be honest "top performance" isn't a concern, really just … thanks, to be honest "top performance" isn't a concern, really just trying to get vista to run in 768mb of ram aint fun....just lookin for summat cheap so that i can (or she can) switch between word and firefox in less than 20 seconds.........

lol never even bothered trying with less than 2 gb, with that in mind consider this
ebuyer.com/pro…178

Im selling a 2 gig stick of the same brand and type ram(its from a PC world unit) same specs so would be great for £15 inc postage

Kingston ram of course is a better brand but its not the best to mix ram of different speeds but for the average user you wont notice next to no difference.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions