cheap 5.1 home cinema setup - no dvd/bluray required own ps3 - ideally below £150 push £200

Hi, all, im just about to buy LG 50PK350 (£515) and want 5.1 setup. Everything i look at has either a dvd/bluray which i dont want or require, as i have a PS3 for all that.

I just need a basic setup to connect the following items, dont want to be messing around and switching wires. Ideally I would like to connect the items via HDMI so it give both sound and video (less wires)

* Sky HD+ Box
* PS3 80GB
* Xbox arcade 20GB

please can someone recommend a setup. i've seen onkyo rxv367 from prc direct for £130 which would be ideal for me, but then i will have to buy speakers pushing over £200. This would be pushing my gaming/cinema setup over £750+ and getting very expensive for someone unemployed LOL

Because of low budget im willing to buy second hand reliable equipment if anyone can recommend.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

23 Comments

Original Poster

Sorry missed some info.

I also want to connect pc to the system, which i will connect to tv via vga - it has an optical port on the back. Also my xbox 360 does not have HDMI so therefore i think i will need to connect via optical cable again.

This looks quite good if you don't mind second hand,maybe worth a look buddy

hotukdeals.com/for…390
Edited by: "time4usall" 10th Feb 2011

You should check out Av forums classified section.

Original Poster

sancho1983

You should check out Av forums classified section.

no one even replies in av forums

heres my post on av forum. have i posted it in the right section

avforums.com/for…tml

I bought the 32LG7000 and HT503 together. Seems to work well but it's not as clear cut on how to connect everything.

It "should" all work through HDMI and on the TV, if your surround amp supports simplink (like the HT503) then you can change the sound source from speakers to home theatre.

I'm still having to shift an optical plug between my Virgin V+ box and my PS3 when changing sources. Doesn't seem to output true 5.1/DTS through HDMI.

You should go to the classified section, in the amp sub section and put a Wanted thread out there.

If people don't reply it's generally because it's been answered several times

What about this?

Sony 5.1

Well overpriced at £400 but people were getting thses for about £200 before xmas

Banned

local classified ads / local ebay searches are great. Got a £200 TEAC receiver for £25 and a £100 sony sub for £20

ps3 / Cable box -> HDMI -> LG TV -> optical -> receiver works fine for me
wii -> component ------------> LG TV -> optical -> receiver
Edited by: "csiman" 10th Feb 2011

Personally – i’d recommend spending that £200 extra on a better TV.. Bump yourself upto a Panasonic.

Then save / wait to get a good 5.1 system.

Original Poster

spritey

Personally – i’d recommend spending that £200 extra on a better TV.. Bump … Personally – i’d recommend spending that £200 extra on a better TV.. Bump yourself upto a Panasonic.Then save / wait to get a good 5.1 system.

i already had to lie to the family about the current tv which i bought. bought it for £600 but told everyone that it was £500. im gona get screwed if i spend £700 on a tv.

also the panasonic tv suppose to have a buzzing problem, everyone on av forums recommended LG 50pk350 or 590 version.
Edited by: "kaisar" 10th Feb 2011

spritey

Personally – i’d recommend spending that £200 extra on a better TV.. Bump … Personally – i’d recommend spending that £200 extra on a better TV.. Bump yourself upto a Panasonic.Then save / wait to get a good 5.1 system.

this ^^ i have a 50 inch panasonic plasma and also a panasonic 5.1 surround sound system, couldn't be happier with them both

kaisar

i already had to lie to the family about the current tv which i bought. … i already had to lie to the family about the current tv which i bought. bought it for £600 but told everyone that it was £500. im gona get screwed if i spend £700 on a tv.also the panasonic tv suppose to have a buzzing problem, everyone on av forums recommended LG 50pk350 or 590 version.

mine doesn't buzz

Original Poster

woz

What about this?Sony 5.1Well overpriced at £400 but people were getting … What about this?Sony 5.1Well overpriced at £400 but people were getting thses for about £200 before xmas

rather buy and av receiver at that price with some 5.1 speakers.

ideally this is what im looking for. ppl on av forums go another level, £500 minimum. Thats toooo much for surround sound expecially for me, no job and spending into overdraft
lmao

Edited by: "kaisar" 10th Feb 2011

Banned

your TV is great. Ignore the brand snobs.

i know it's a bit over you budget OP but i have this play.com/Ele…rch

really really pleased with it

Original Poster

missp27

mine doesn't buzz

according to most on av forum, panasonic 2010 models were not too great. plus this 50" LG tv is cheap, £515.

I dont want all the addons to hike up the price such as freeview hd as i have sky hd, and also internet, load of garbage expecially on sony kdl 40nx703 - exactly the same thing on ps3.

Original Poster

missp27

i know it's a bit over you budget OP but i have … i know it's a bit over you budget OP but i have this[url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.play.com%2FElectronics%2FElectronics%2F4-%2F13620214%2FPanasonic-SC-PT580EB-K-5-1-Channel-Surround-Sound-DVD-Home-Cinema-System%2FProduct.html%3Fsearchstring%3Dpanasonic%2Bsurround%2Bsound%26searchtype%3Dallproducts%26searchsource%3D0%26urlrefer%3Dsearch] http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/13620214/Panasonic-SC-PT580EB-K-5-1-Channel-Surround-Sound-DVD-Home-Cinema-System/Product.html?searchstring=panasonic+surround+sound&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search[/url]really really pleased with it

can you connect all the equipment i mentions. my uncle spent about the same amount on a samsung dvd home cinema about 2 years back. i was impressed with that, anything simple for me will do. only thing i want all the equipment connected without switching wires around.

Banned

kaisar

can you connect all the equipment i mentions. my uncle spent about the … can you connect all the equipment i mentions. my uncle spent about the same amount on a samsung dvd home cinema about 2 years back. i was impressed with that, anything simple for me will do. only thing i want all the equipment connected without switching wires around.

if it connects to the tv, then it should all go down the single optical lead to receiver

kaisar

can you connect all the equipment i mentions. my uncle spent about the … can you connect all the equipment i mentions. my uncle spent about the same amount on a samsung dvd home cinema about 2 years back. i was impressed with that, anything simple for me will do. only thing i want all the equipment connected without switching wires around.

Technical Details

DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-R DL
DVD Video: yes
DivX®: yes
DVD-VR: yes
JPEG: yes (DVD-R/DVD-RW)
MP3: yes (DVD-R/DVD-RW)
MPEG4: yes (DVD-R/DVD-RW)
DVD-ROM
DVD-Video / DivX®: yes
USB
MP3/WMA/JPEG/ MPEG4/ DivX®: yes
+R/ +R DL/ +RW
Video: yes
CD
CD-DA: yes
VCD: yes
SVCD: yes
CD-R/-RW
DivX®: yes
CD-DA: yes
MP3: yes
JPEG: yes
MPEG4: yes
WMA: yes
Home Cinema Mode (RMS)
Total Power: 1000 W
Front: 125W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Centre: 250W (1kHz, 6ohms, 10% THD)
Surround: 125W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Subwoofer: 250W (100Hz, 6ohms, 10% THD)
Home Cinema Mode (DIN)
Total Power: 590W
Front: 90W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Centre: 115W (1kHz, 6ohms, 1% THD)
Surround: 90W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Subwoofer: 115W (100Hz, 6ohms, 1% THD)
RECEIVER SECTION
Output Channel: 5.1ch
Selectable Speaker Layout: yes
EQ (Flat/ Heavy/ Clear/ Soft): yes (4 preset)
Subwoofer Level: yes
Centre Focus: yes
Whisper-mode Surround: yes
Dolby Pro Logic II: yes
Super Surround: yes
RDS: yes
Digital Synthesizer Tuner: yes
Station Presets: 30-FM
Dolby Digital Decoder: yes
DTS Decoder: yes
VIERA Link: yes (HDAVI Control 5)
Easy Setup: yes
DVD/CD SECTION
Dialogue Enhancer: yes
1080p Up-Conversion with HDMI: yes
Deep Colour: yes
Zoom Function: yes (Normal, Auto, x2, x4)
Video D/A Converter: 108MHz/12-bit
UNIVERSAL DOCK SECTION
Universal Dock for iPod/ iPhone: Integrated
iPod / iPhone Playback (Music/ Video/ Photo): yes
iPod / iPhone Full Title List on Screen Display for Music & Video Content: yes
Input/ Output
HDMI Out: 1
SCART: 1
Digital Input: 1 (Optical)
Audio Input: 1 (AUX)
USB Terminal: 1
GENERAL
Weight (kg) [Approx.]: 2.8
Dimensions (mm) [Approx.]
Width(mm): 430
Height(mm): 54
Depth(mm): 287
Front Speaker
Configuration: 1 way 1 speaker, Bass-ref.
Speaker Unit: Full Range: 6.5cm Cone Type
Weight (kg) [Approx.]: 2.3
Dimensions (W x H x D)(mm) [Approx.]: 255 x 1020 x 255
Centre Speaker
Weight (kg) [Approx.]: 0.6
Dimensions (W x H x D)(mm) [Approx.]: 145 x 85 x 71.5
Surround Speaker
Weight (kg) [Approx.]: 0.4
Dimensions (W x H x D)(mm) [Approx.]: 80 x 118.5 x 68
Subwoofer Speaker
Configuration: 1 way 1 speaker (Kelton Type)
Speaker Unit: Woofer: 16cm Cone Type, Passive Radiator: 25cm
Weight (kg) [Approx.]: 4.6
Dimensions (W x H x D)(mm) [Approx.]: 180.5 x 322 x 351
Further Specifications
Television Signal System: PAL625/50, PAL525/60,NTSC

i don't have sky hd but i have my ps3 hooked up to it and my sd sky, not very technically minded but it was really easy to set up

kaisar

according to most on av forum, panasonic 2010 models were not too great. … according to most on av forum, panasonic 2010 models were not too great. plus this 50" LG tv is cheap, £515. I dont want all the addons to hike up the price such as freeview hd as i have sky hd, and also internet, load of garbage expecially on sony kdl 40nx703 - exactly the same thing on ps3.

I’ve seen very little negative comments for it on avforums, mainly as the site itself rate the range so highly.

Lets look at the lineup shall we? Specifically, the actual reviews straight from avforums...

TX-P50VT20B
avforums.com/rev…tml

Rated by 90% of review sites to be the best TV of the year. I have a Samsung 3DTV, while it is brighter doing 3D over the VT20B, i’d much prefer the Panasonic.. I just didn’t have £1700-£1800 to spend on a 3D setup at the time.

TX-P50V20B
avforums.com/rev…tml

Once again, rated as one of the best TVs of the year.. It's basically the VT20B but lacking 3D.

TX-P50G20B
trustedreviews.com/tvs…/p3

Now were moving close to the OPs budget (£100 off if he used the extra) – once again – a highly rated television. All three so far have seen substainial benefits in quality since the deal with Pioneer in developing NeoPDP further.

If anything, the Panasonic 2010 models are some of the best they’ve ever released. The only negative criticism that can be laid at them is the design has changed much.

TX-P50S20B
hdtvtest.co.uk/new…htm

Now firmly within the your budget if you used the speaker money for the TV.

Again, a highly rated television.. Seen as one if (If not the best) in its price range.

This isn’t about “brand bumming”, as i personally buy Samsung TVs. Mainly as i want the high end models for the least amount of money, Samsung offer the best bang for buck in that respect.

If you aren't bothered about 3D – the Panasonic G20 or S20 is a fantastic investment. You’re going to have this 50” TV for a long time, buy something which isn’t going to show it’s age against the competition.

Sound wise – again – i’d save over time for this. An AV Receiver + Separates Speaker setup will set you back around £250-£300. It’s gives you far more options, will last you much longer and will offer you a superior sound quality by far.

If you purchase the LG TV and then a 5.1 all in one system, then you’ve bought not a bad TV.. But not a very good or great one either, you’ve then got an average surround sound to go with your average TV...

Why not invest in a good TV, 4-6 months (The lack of 5.1 isn’t going to kill you).. Then buy a good sound system.. Giving you a great TV and a good surround setup.
Edited by: "spritey" 10th Feb 2011

Original Poster

spritey

I’ve seen very little negative comments for it on avforums, mainly as the … I’ve seen very little negative comments for it on avforums, mainly as the site itself rate the range so highly.Lets look at the lineup shall we? Specifically, the actual reviews straight from avforums...TX-P50VT20Bhttp://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-VT20-TX-P50VT20-VT20-3D-Plasma-Review.htmlRated by 90% of review sites to be the best TV of the year. I have a Samsung 3DTV, while it is brighter doing 3D over the VT20B, i’d much prefer the Panasonic.. I just didn’t have £1700-£1800 to spend on a 3D setup at the time.TX-P50V20Bhttp://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-V20-TX-P50V20B-50V20-HDTV-Plasma-Review.htmlOnce again, rated as one of the best TVs of the year.. It's basically the VT20B but lacking 3D.TX-P50G20Bhttp://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2010/05/12/Panasonic-Viera-TX-P50G20B/p3Now were moving close to the OPs budget (£100 off if he used the extra) – once again – a highly rated television. All three so far have seen substainial benefits in quality since the deal with Pioneer in developing NeoPDP further.If anything, the Panasonic 2010 models are some of the best they’ve ever released. The only negative criticism that can be laid at them is the design has changed much.TX-P50S20Bhttp://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50s20b-tx-p42s20b-20100511647.htmNow firmly within the your budget if you used the speaker money for the TV.Again, a highly rated television.. Seen as one if (If not the best) in its price range.This isn’t about “brand bumming”, as i personally buy Samsung TVs. Mainly as i want the high end models for the least amount of money, Samsung offer the best bang for buck in that respect.If you aren't bothered about 3D – the Panasonic G20 or S20 is a fantastic investment. You’re going to have this 50” TV for a long time, buy something which isn’t going to show it’s age against the competition.Sound wise – again – i’d save over time for this. An AV Receiver + Separates Speaker setup will set you back around £250-£300. It’s gives you far more options, will last you much longer and will offer you a superior sound quality by far.If you purchase the LG TV and then a 5.1 all in one system, then you’ve bought not a bad TV.. But not a very good or great one either, you’ve then got an average surround sound to go with your average TV...Why not invest in a good TV, 4-6 months (The lack of 5.1 isn’t going to kill you).. Then buy a good sound system.. Giving you a great TV and a good surround setup.

i literally just bought it 2 min ago from amazon, amazing price £488 delivered

Original Poster

csiman

tv now £488 … tv now £488 btw[url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FLG-50PK350-50-inch-Widescreen-Freeview%2Fdp%2FB003G2DITY]http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-50PK350-50-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003G2DITY[/url]

i missed your post, just saw it on another thread and ordered.

thanks for letting me know,.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764042
    2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!78
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183115
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846096

See more discussions