Expired

Cheap Car Insurance for New Drivers over 30

Found 21st Jun
Hi all,

Does anyone know what is the best way to get cheap car insurance if you are a new driver over 30? I recently moved from London to one of the Home Counties, which meant I needed to sort my driving out. I got myself a run around to practice in alongside my lessons. My run around is a very old Corsa, I want to upgrade to something a little more grown up but the insurance quotes I am getting on a BMW 1 series worth £5k is £1.5k plus £3k compulsory excess Plus £500 voluntary excess.
Being a named driver isn’t really an option.
Any ideas would be grately appreciated.
Community Updates
19 Comments
Is that with a black box, if not and if your life style suits then maybe try a quote with a black box. 1.5k seems abour right tho even for a 1 series
Edited by: "ding" 21st Jun
1. corsa - a chavmobile - insurance premiums higher as default
2. look for black box
3. use MSE insurance search strategy
4. add a named driver if possible
I would guess that £1500 is around what you may have to pay for your first year. Many threads on here on how best to minimise car insurance premium. When you add another driver (older, clean licence) they don't have to drive the car every day or week - they just have to drive the car occasionally.

Websites to try - Quidco Compare, Topcashback, ComparetheMarket, gocompare, confused, moneysavingsupermarket.

it was a few years ago but this is how the insurance for my kids sharing a car went over the first 4 years - £1,560, £1,130, £595 and £370 - so try to stay claim free, makes a massive difference to the premiums.
mattsk22 m ago

1. corsa - a chavmobile - insurance premiums higher as default2. look for …1. corsa - a chavmobile - insurance premiums higher as default2. look for black box3. use MSE insurance search strategy4. add a named driver if possible

the quote mentioned was on a BMW, not the Corsa

I'd suggest starting with a smaller car for a year or 2 while your no claims builds up. My friend(early 30's) passed her test earlier this year, her premium was about £900 with black box on a micra.
What is your occupation? ( never put unemployed) Housewife for women ( household duties for men) If you have a profession play with the similar generic descriptions, the price varies a lot
How long you had your learner licence? Aviva accepts the date from your learner was how long you had your licence for question
Are you married or have a partner? Single people pay more insurance.
gcmarcal27 m ago

What is your occupation? ( never put unemployed) Housewife for women ( …What is your occupation? ( never put unemployed) Housewife for women ( household duties for men) If you have a profession play with the similar generic descriptions, the price varies a lot How long you had your learner licence? Aviva accepts the date from your learner was how long you had your licence for questionAre you married or have a partner? Single people pay more insurance.

Interesting, I had my licence provisional licence for 12 (embarrassing). I am married and full time employed. I am trying to avoid being a named driver on my husband’s insurance so I can build up my own no claims. I will look into Aviva
Van197330 m ago

I would guess that £1500 is around what you may have to pay for your first …I would guess that £1500 is around what you may have to pay for your first year. Many threads on here on how best to minimise car insurance premium. When you add another driver (older, clean licence) they don't have to drive the car every day or week - they just have to drive the car occasionally.Websites to try - Quidco Compare, Topcashback, ComparetheMarket, gocompare, confused, moneysavingsupermarket.it was a few years ago but this is how the insurance for my kids sharing a car went over the first 4 years - £1,560, £1,130, £595 and £370 - so try to stay claim free, makes a massive difference to the premiums.

There is hope then!
ding55 m ago

Is that with a black box, if not and if your life style suits then maybe …Is that with a black box, if not and if your life style suits then maybe try a quote with a black box. 1.5k seems abour right tho even for a 1 series

No Black box. I would mainly use the car for running around since I still commute to London for work.
Check how many miles you do per year .

The good threshold varies between 5000 to 8000 miles per year.

they don't like too many miles or too low either.
gcmarcal7 m ago

Check how many miles you do per year .The good threshold varies between …Check how many miles you do per year .The good threshold varies between 5000 to 8000 miles per year.they don't like too many miles or too low either.

Thank for the tip. I have been going with 10k miles but realistically I have done did 3k miles in the year that I have had the car.
Do your maths and see how many miles you are realistic doing

Don't worry if you are off. As long that there isn't a huge discrepancy they ( insurers) would not be bothered.
gcmarcal1 h, 0 m ago

Do your maths and see how many miles you are realistic doing Don't worry …Do your maths and see how many miles you are realistic doing Don't worry if you are off. As long that there isn't a huge discrepancy they ( insurers) would not be bothered.

You are a legend, Aviva is quoting £600-ish. They are genuinely not distinguishing between full and provisional licence. They’re just happy that I have had some sort of licence for over 9 years. Very odd but yay for me.
chrissyny7 m ago

You are a legend, Aviva is quoting £600-ish. They are genuinely not …You are a legend, Aviva is quoting £600-ish. They are genuinely not distinguishing between full and provisional licence. They’re just happy that I have had some sort of licence for over 9 years. Very odd but yay for me.

My pleasure! They did the same with mine, but it didn't make such a difference as my quotes are cheap due to over 5 years no claims.
Dont forget to go through topcashback:

Aviva Car Insurance Cashback 5 Star car insurance from £176 – That’s all 10% paid for our standard cover*

£50.00
Van19735 h, 16 m ago

I would guess that £1500 is around what you may have to pay for your first …I would guess that £1500 is around what you may have to pay for your first year. Many threads on here on how best to minimise car insurance premium. When you add another driver (older, clean licence) they don't have to drive the car every day or week - they just have to drive the car occasionally.Websites to try - Quidco Compare, Topcashback, ComparetheMarket, gocompare, confused, moneysavingsupermarket.it was a few years ago but this is how the insurance for my kids sharing a car went over the first 4 years - £1,560, £1,130, £595 and £370 - so try to stay claim free, makes a massive difference to the premiums.

Why do they need to drive occasionally?

Who will know haha
chrissyny5 h, 46 m ago

Interesting, I had my licence provisional licence for 12 (embarrassing). I …Interesting, I had my licence provisional licence for 12 (embarrassing). I am married and full time employed. I am trying to avoid being a named driver on my husband’s insurance so I can build up my own no claims. I will look into Aviva

Would also recommend Aviva for that chestnut.

My OH, also as a newly passed driver in her 30's qualified as an introductory on a dual policy with Aviva to inherit my no claims bonus. I had to ring up as was struggling to figure the best offer they would give from the permutations available (trying all variations of named). Operative then asked me a series of 3 or 4 questions in relation to my wife history and stated this qualified for their dual policy which if no accident in 12 months she would be left at the end with my full no claims whilst also being cheaper than anywhere else.

End of those 12 months we went elsewhere as cheaper to split and my wife now has a no claims discount beyond how long she has held a provisional licence for let alone from when she passed.

N.B. if they ask how long you have held a licnce is since issued - the different question is how long have you held a full licence for.
Bertz9921st Jun

Would also recommend Aviva for that chestnut.My OH, also as a newly passed …Would also recommend Aviva for that chestnut.My OH, also as a newly passed driver in her 30's qualified as an introductory on a dual policy with Aviva to inherit my no claims bonus. I had to ring up as was struggling to figure the best offer they would give from the permutations available (trying all variations of named). Operative then asked me a series of 3 or 4 questions in relation to my wife history and stated this qualified for their dual policy which if no accident in 12 months she would be left at the end with my full no claims whilst also being cheaper than anywhere else.End of those 12 months we went elsewhere as cheaper to split and my wife now has a no claims discount beyond how long she has held a provisional licence for let alone from when she passed.N.B. if they ask how long you have held a licnce is since issued - the different question is how long have you held a full licence for.

This exactly the sort of wisdom I was hoping to get!
You can see what changes there are on Mustard - change car , see premium change - change occupation, see change etc.
Why not get an old 530 or something - cheap to buy . . . oh yes they cost a fortune to insure ! So why a bmw 1 series ??
Thanks to all who steered me towards Aviva. I ended up taking out my insurance with them. They even dropped the price by an extra £80 for having my husband as a named driver on the premium.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants