cheap cars with cheap insurance for young driver?

Found 9th Apr 2012
im 17 n passed my test last month, getting a car is no problem its just the insurance is ridiculous for people my age. the cheapest price ive found is to be insured on a classic mini for near enough £2000. can anyone reccommend a car with fairly priced insurance? thanks
Community Updates
37 Comments
Try an insurance company called Insure The Box (www.insurethebox.com). I've got it on both my cars and I cant fault them.
I feel for you! My brother is in the same predicament and quotes r even more then that! The only thing I can suggest is there is a few company's that put a devise on yr car to track it, so u can only use the car at certain times! Still the price r high!! But either way you feel like yr being robbed! Not fair on young people! Good luck!
£2k is pretty cheap compared to what we experienced ... closer to double that for a Corsa

Would you be happy with a box to be installed? Remember premiums can go up or down depending on your driving style or whether you go 2 mph over the speed limit etc
Edited by: "Firefly1" 9th Apr 2012
Smallest engine you can find usually....
Kit car.My insurance is £130.Started off at £500 in my first year.

Edit: £500 for the first year on a 1.6 convertible, 18 years old, zero no claims, first year of driving.Best first car ever.
It's now a 2ltr and £130 per year.
Gorgeous
[img]desmond.imageshack.us/Him…php?server=848&filename=39979410150490582456701.jpg&res=landing[/img]
teh arn

Kit car.My insurance is £130.Started off at £500 in my first year.Edit: £ … Kit car.My insurance is £130.Started off at £500 in my first year.Edit: £500 for the first year on a 1.6 convertible, 18 years old, zero no claims, first year of driving.Best first car ever. It's now a 2ltr and £130 per year.Gorgeous[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg848/scaled.php?server=848&filename=39979410150490582456701.jpg&res=landing[/img]

not my kinda car but how many years ago was this?
lisajohnsonxxx

not my kinda car but how many years ago was this?

The £500 quote was 2007/08, the £130 quote was this year.
You can get any type of kit car, they are not all the same.
Thousands to choose from.

Also if you're thinking of getting a mini, join an owners club and get insurance through them.
You'll save loads of money.
teh arn

The £500 quote was 2007/08, the £130 quote was this year.You can get any t … The £500 quote was 2007/08, the £130 quote was this year.You can get any type of kit car, they are not all the same.Thousands to choose from.Also if you're thinking of getting a mini, join an owners club and get insurance through them.You'll save loads of money.

that was like 5 years ago, times have changed credit crunch and what not
What's the car budget?
Times haven't changed really, I can remember people paying well over a thousand pounds 10 years ago. When you just get your test and you want car insurance you're gonna have a bad time X)

Welcome to the highest risk category of drivers. A lot of people used to get insured as a named driver under their parents name, I'm not sure if that is or ever was legal.

£2k is pretty cheap for 17 without no claims.

Clios are pretty cheap..have a look at the diesel 1.5 DCi circa 2001-2005. If you get the 80bhp version it's group 4 insurance, £20 tax and ~65-70mpg..great little cars. Or theres 100bhp version, group 5 insurance, £30 tax and similar mpg but both surprisingly nippy because of the low weight. Would avoid the 65bhp version.

A classic mini, while lovely cars, aren't ideal for a first car. Sure they're simpler cars, but not as reliable as more modern cars, or as safe. And running costs/economy is much higher.

What's your budget for car + insurance? It will come down each month you wait. Also, adding your parents as named secondary drivers (with you as primary driver!) tends to bring it down a decent amount.

At the end of the day you're gonna get screwed with high insurance, all there is is damage limitation.
Add parent as named driver and it will go down to 1k
worth a look at this co-op where they install a box in ur car its over £500 pound cheaper than anyone else could offer.

and as for cars this is what a google search is saying

Top five cheapest cars to insure
Ford Fiesta - Some Fiesta's fall into the group 1 category, although a more high-spec one can get up to group 6. The Fiesta is a long-term popular car amongst young drivers and parts are amongst the most readily accessible of any vehicle.
Vauxhall Corsa - The basic one-litre Corsa falls into the group 1 category, and slowly rise up the groups the bigger the engine. Insurers like it because it is safe and cheap to fix.
Peugeot 206 - The lowest group the 206 falls into is group 2, but they can go up much higher depending on the performance. Stick with a lower range one and the insurance should be relatively cheap. It's another firm bargain driver favourite.
Renault Clio - The lowest group a Clio falls into is group 2, and again can steadily rise depending on the specification. If you want a cheap insurance car it fits the bill, just avoid the suped-up ones.
Fiat Punto - Newer Punto's fall into the group 3 category and are again popular amongst newer drivers. The older shape second hand cars were hugely popular and their ubiquity is reflected in cheap insurance.
Other group 1 cars:
- Chevrolet Matiz
- Citroën C1, C2 and C3
- Peugeot 107
- Skoda Fabia
- Suzuki Alto
- Toyota Aygo
- Toyota Yaris
- Vauxhall Agila
- Smart Fortwo Coupe
Older group 1 cars:
- Seat Marbella
- Fiat 126
- Fiat Seicento
- Citroën 2CV6

dunno if any of this helps . lol
quezi

£2k is pretty cheap for 17 without no claims.Clios are pretty cheap..have … £2k is pretty cheap for 17 without no claims.Clios are pretty cheap..have a look at the diesel 1.5 DCi circa 2001-2005. If you get the 80bhp version it's group 4 insurance, £20 tax and ~65-70mpg..great little cars. Or theres 100bhp version, group 5 insurance, £30 tax and similar mpg but both surprisingly nippy because of the low weight. Would avoid the 65bhp version.A classic mini, while lovely cars, aren't ideal for a first car. Sure they're simpler cars, but not as reliable as more modern cars, or as safe. And running costs/economy is much higher.What's your budget for car + insurance? It will come down each month you wait. Also, adding your parents as named secondary drivers (with you as primary driver!) tends to bring it down a decent amount.At the end of the day you're gonna get screwed with high insurance, all there is is damage limitation.

this mini im lookin at has been restored tho made in 1987 restored in 2007. the budget would be about 2k seen as its my first car dont want anythin ott. and as for insurance now ive had that quote for 2k i wouldnt really want to pay much more and thats with my mom on the policy. i can't understand how they can make the insurence more than the car, baffles me.
markeh

Times haven't changed really, I can remember people paying well over a … Times haven't changed really, I can remember people paying well over a thousand pounds 10 years ago. When you just get your test and you want car insurance you're gonna have a bad time X)Welcome to the highest risk category of drivers. A lot of people used to get insured as a named driver under their parents name, I'm not sure if that is or ever was legal.

insurence has gone up 40% this year alone.
danmckay

worth a look at this co-op where they install a box in ur car its over … worth a look at this co-op where they install a box in ur car its over £500 pound cheaper than anyone else could offer.and as for cars this is what a google search is sayingTop five cheapest cars to insureFord Fiesta - Some Fiesta's fall into the group 1 category, although a more high-spec one can get up to group 6. The Fiesta is a long-term popular car amongst young drivers and parts are amongst the most readily accessible of any vehicle.Vauxhall Corsa - The basic one-litre Corsa falls into the group 1 category, and slowly rise up the groups the bigger the engine. Insurers like it because it is safe and cheap to fix.Peugeot 206 - The lowest group the 206 falls into is group 2, but they can go up much higher depending on the performance. Stick with a lower range one and the insurance should be relatively cheap. It's another firm bargain driver favourite.Renault Clio - The lowest group a Clio falls into is group 2, and again can steadily rise depending on the specification. If you want a cheap insurance car it fits the bill, just avoid the suped-up ones.Fiat Punto - Newer Punto's fall into the group 3 category and are again popular amongst newer drivers. The older shape second hand cars were hugely popular and their ubiquity is reflected in cheap insurance.Other group 1 cars:- Chevrolet Matiz- Citroën C1, C2 and C3- Peugeot 107- Skoda Fabia- Suzuki Alto- Toyota Aygo- Toyota Yaris- Vauxhall Agila - Smart Fortwo CoupeOlder group 1 cars:- Seat Marbella- Fiat 126- Fiat Seicento- Citroën 2CV6 dunno if any of this helps . lol

sorry forgot the link . try it its quick and easy and i got great prices

co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/ser…Car
I'm 19 now had my first car around 6 months ago i paid £1850 with elephant.co.uk, 2 named drivers on a 59 plate citreon c2, only has a 1.0engine but does me good. When looking i found that 1.2/1.4 seat ibiza's were good on insurance and seat arosa and polos so i'd try some of them. I went with elephant basically so i could drive my car when i want and however i want as so many restrictions on having a device fitted could work out aot more. anyway good luck with the search
lisajohnsonxxx

this mini im lookin at has been restored tho made in 1987 restored in … this mini im lookin at has been restored tho made in 1987 restored in 2007. the budget would be about 2k seen as its my first car dont want anythin ott. and as for insurance now ive had that quote for 2k i wouldnt really want to pay much more and thats with my mom on the policy. i can't understand how they can make the insurence more than the car, baffles me.

because you can hit other things that cost money in your car, unless you plan on going up and down your driveway in it for the year

Where has that 40% come from? They say that every year on the phone, this must be the 7th consecutive year I've heard that.
Edited by: "markeh" 10th Apr 2012
get your parents as secondary drivers , should knock the price down abit
Thats quite cheap tbh I'm getting £2500 and I'm 20 lol.
lisajohnsonxxx

Only if you believe the adverts, mine has gone down every year for 10 years except when I last bought a new one. Play the companies off against each other and try Tesco as they are quoting my partner £1000 as a new driver.
Citroen C3 is great for expense. I pay £20 a yr road tax and cheap insurance, but then again my insurance quote is based on 11 yrs NCB and im nearly 29. I used to have my Dad on my policy for about 3 yrs, until 1 year it was more expensive to have him on there.
lisajohnsonxxx

Times haven't changed at all, at the time i got the £500 quote i was being offered £2600 to get insured on a 1.3 fiesta. No idea where you've got that 40% from.
100% that a kit car is the cheapest and i can guarantee that you will get a cheaper quote if you go through a mini owners club to get insured on that mini.
lisajohnsonxxx

this mini im lookin at has been restored tho made in 1987 restored in … this mini im lookin at has been restored tho made in 1987 restored in 2007. the budget would be about 2k seen as its my first car dont want anythin ott. and as for insurance now ive had that quote for 2k i wouldnt really want to pay much more and thats with my mom on the policy. i can't understand how they can make the insurence more than the car, baffles me.

If you can afford it and want it then go for it. Just saying that tax will be higher, less reliable, go through fuel quicker and probably fewer extra gizmos then a newer, cheaper car.
Take a look at autotrader at some Clios..when you take into account the cheap cost to buy and the cheap running costs I recon they'd come pretty near the top.
I take it you're female judging by your name? Insurance for women is due to rise in December of this year to bring it in line with mens prices, so yours will definitely rise above £2k. A lot of guys your age will probably be looking at more like £3-4k..so that's something to consider as well.
17, passed 21st December, got insured on my 1.2 16V Corsa for little over a £1,000. You just gotta keep looking, putting in different stuff to see which works out the cheapest, whilst making sure what you're putting in is the truth. I could have also got insured on my 2002 BMW 1.8 316i, for about £1,800, but going on that next year instead with my no claims..
my insurance since 18 has been - £800, £750, £500, £250

my tip is to keep playing around with the online form to see what works out cheapest

teh arn

Times haven't changed at all, at the time i got the £500 quote i was … Times haven't changed at all, at the time i got the £500 quote i was being offered £2600 to get insured on a 1.3 fiesta. No idea where you've got that 40% from.100% that a kit car is the cheapest and i can guarantee that you will get a cheaper quote if you go through a mini owners club to get insured on that mini.

Depends where you live. I have a Honda Integra type r (group 17), 3 years ago I was paying £350 per year, now its £1200. The only change in my situation is that ive grown older and built up more no claims. Got a quote for my mates address down south for £250.
lisajohnsonxxx

Your a woman, this year rates between men and women have to become equal.

Thats why your rates have gone up 40%
http://www.caranddriving.com/images/used/large/fiatcin.jpg

I got this car for £200 (28,000 miles R reg) and my insurance with no claims at 20 years old was £692 through elephant.co.uk. Fully comp with £500 excess until I'm 21 then it drops down to £400.
whats a kit car?
lisajohnsonxxx

whats a kit car?

A car you either build yourself or buy from a car company.
Such as a westfield or caterham.
There are thousands of different types.
ive found a car peugeot 107 for 2 grand then insurence 3rd party fire and theft £1,500
For some reason perhaps a glitch. But I was able to get insured on a 2004 Audi A3 for £750 a year fully comp.
Which is amazing, considering I was quoted £15k on my Mum's Z4.

I am 19 by the way.
cejiogu1

For some reason perhaps a glitch. But I was able to get insured on a 2004 … For some reason perhaps a glitch. But I was able to get insured on a 2004 Audi A3 for £750 a year fully comp. Which is amazing, considering I was quoted £15k on my Mum's Z4.I am 19 by the way.

wow seems abit too good to be true
lisajohnsonxxx

wow seems abit too good to be true

Believe it or not, no water off my back
I'm 19 and just bought a Mazda 3 Ts2 1.6L (sport) and it cost £1,200 with a telematics device with no restrictions except for mileage allowance which is higher than i'll probably use, i got a quote on a Ford Fiesta 1.25L for £3,500 remember size is a factor but accidents in smaller cars (new drivers) brings the prices up as they have to go by statistics these days not by common sense...

i also got a quote on a 2.3L Merc convertible for £1.8k so just keep options open if you can afford to run a bigger engine car go for it as sometimes the quotes are ridiculously cheaper :P

Mazda3

I'm 19 and just bought a Mazda 3 Ts2 1.6L (sport) and it cost £1,200 with … I'm 19 and just bought a Mazda 3 Ts2 1.6L (sport) and it cost £1,200 with a telematics device with no restrictions except for mileage allowance which is higher than i'll probably use, i got a quote on a Ford Fiesta 1.25L for £3,500 remember size is a factor but accidents in smaller cars (new drivers) brings the prices up as they have to go by statistics these days not by common sense...i also got a quote on a 2.3L Merc convertible for £1.8k so just keep options open if you can afford to run a bigger engine car go for it as sometimes the quotes are ridiculously cheaper :P

I've got a Citroen c1 first year £1500 second year £950 third year £650 can't complain at that
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants