Cheap computer for working from home

Posted 22nd Jun 2020
I’ve been looking for a very cheap computer to work from home. I’m a bit tired working on my laptop so I figured I’d buy a cheap base (I already have two monitors I’m going to use for dual screens). I just need to access Citrix, do basic work (nothing heavy & no gaming) and internet usage. I was aiming to spend around £100-£170 for something really basic but good enough to last for a little while. I came across this:

tech-bazaar.com/pro…ro/

Can someone with computer knowledge tell me if this is a good deal, is there something better I should look at etc? I considered upgrading to 480 SSD cause I heard it would be better (but I’m very novice when it comes to this stuff? Grateful for opinions.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Can you not just get a keyboard and mouse and just connect your laptop to the two screens (you might need an adapter for the second screen)? That doesn't really sound much different to what you're looking for.
unknownuser22/06/2020 10:45

Can you not just get a keyboard and mouse and just connect your laptop to …Can you not just get a keyboard and mouse and just connect your laptop to the two screens (you might need an adapter for the second screen)? That doesn't really sound much different to what you're looking for.

I did that but I hated disconnecting and reconnecting the whole set up when I want to take my laptop out. That’s why I figured I’d just get a cheap used/refurbished base that I could just leave there and use as needed. Hence I’m not going to “break the bank” on it.
So why not a laptop dock then? Most of the cables then go through that, and you either just undock the laptop, or pull out a USB cable or two. Depends on the laptop on what is suitable of course.

No idea if it's any good - but something like - amazon.co.uk/WAV…PD/
Edited by: "alg" 22nd Jun
Must admit I prefer using a Desktop from home than my work laptop so I can see where you are coming from.

Most cheap Dell Optiplex or HP Prodesk base units will do what you need but you will need to check what Video outputs are on your monitors and on the PC's. Many business desktops don't have HDMI out, instead they usually have just VGA and display port.

Always worth going for an SSD if you can, but with your usage you won't need a huge SSD.
Some of the comments in here
hotukdeals.com/dis…397
also apply to you if your an employee. Even if you do buy your own, your employer would be best to advise on a spec.
Also, take a look at these
morgancomputers.co.uk/c/7…ms/
They also sell monitors, keyboards etc
If you don't mind refurbished (most have warranty)

I have bought several laptops and desktops over the last few years from IJT Direct

Never had a problem.
Edited by: "MT2045" 22nd Jun
Firstly I would check with your own IT department if they allow personal computers access to company systems that are not cloud based. I know alot do not.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 22nd Jun
cecilmcroberts22/06/2020 13:39

Firstly I would check with your own IT department if they allow personal …Firstly I would check with your own IT department if they allow personal computers access to company systems that are not cloud based. I know alot do not.

Agree with this - the other things are whether you need to connect through a VPN, and whether you need to allow your IT department access to the machine (through policies etc), and so on. For example, I can use a work provided copy of Office, but need to allow IT to control certain aspects of my PC.
Post a comment
@
    Text