Cheap Dinner Ideas!

Found 11th Jan
So it's after Christmas as we all overspend, and I guess this year I've gone way overboard. Just wondered if anyone had any cheap dinner recipes/ideas to get me through this month. Hopefully kid friendly ones too?!

Many thankyous in advance
Lou xx
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Groceries
20 Comments
Cheap as chip, adaptable and full of veggies for the health conscious. Oh and delicious
bbcgoodfood.com/rec…ata
Try making some vegetable soup. Some of the major supermarkets were offering free vegetables just after Christmas and New Year. Homemade macaroni and cheese. Easy to make the bechamel sauce and add grated cheese to make a cheese sauce. If you need recipes let me know? Both dishes are ideal for the winter season and reasonably cheap and easy to prepare. You could make stews, stir-fry & pasta dishes too?
Home made soups are cheap and nutritious and a good way to get veg in kiddies who are fussy. They are very easy to make and once tasted you won't buy tinned again.

I use Felicity Cloakes Guardian recipes (I don't like the Guardian but she is a very talented writer on food) and BBC good food for most of my recipes.

theguardian.com/lif…oup

bbcgoodfood.com/rec…oup

Pork belly is a tasty and very cheap cut. If you make it and serve with veggies, you can use the leftover veggies for soup.

theguardian.com/lif…ics

Most cheaper cuts will offer best value when bought from your butcher rather than the supermarket. Plus, he/she will be able to offer you advice on cooking them.

Beef brisket will make you a delicious slow roast, fall apart beef curry or stew (add a pastry top and you've got a beef pie).

yummly.co.uk/

Some budget busters bbcgoodfood.com/rec…eat

There are lots of blogs on frugal feeding/living so have a dig around for some really clever ideas.

thesun.co.uk/liv…ps/
Home made lasagne or tagliatelle bolognaise with garlic bread. Make large batches and freeze. Works out under £1 per meal.
Flahavan's porridge oats with marmite. That's breakfast sorted for starters.
Watch the shpw "Save Money:Good Food" on the ITV Player ...... itv.com/sav…ood

Must admit I find some of the claimed prices unbeliievably cheap - suggested portion size muct be very small.
Salt and Pepper on Toast, or if you want to push the Budget, a 5 Bean Sandwich, a Tin of Baked Beans will last for ages.
Banned
Awesome ideas here! Thanks!
Baked potato + filling (Tuna+Mayo+Springonion / Beans / Cheese @ Beans). You dont need to buy dedicated bakers either as they are the same as normal just big ones. If you can't find big loose ones just stick 2 small ones in the oven.
Omelette? Throw some scraps in (left over chicken or sausages etc) or cheese very filling.
Original Poster
windym9 h, 16 m ago

Home made soups are cheap and nutritious and a good way to get veg in …Home made soups are cheap and nutritious and a good way to get veg in kiddies who are fussy. They are very easy to make and once tasted you won't buy tinned again.I use Felicity Cloakes Guardian recipes (I don't like the Guardian but she is a very talented writer on food) and BBC good food for most of my recipes.https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/mar/24/how-to-make-the-perfect-leek-and-potato-souphttps://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3198/spicy-roasted-parsnip-soupPork belly is a tasty and very cheap cut. If you make it and serve with veggies, you can use the leftover veggies for soup.https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/02/pork-belly-recipe-perfect-crackling-back-to-basicsMost cheaper cuts will offer best value when bought from your butcher rather than the supermarket. Plus, he/she will be able to offer you advice on cooking them. Beef brisket will make you a delicious slow roast, fall apart beef curry or stew (add a pastry top and you've got a beef pie).https://www.yummly.co.uk/#recipe/Steak_-Guinness-and-cheese-pie-with-a-puff-pastry-lid-1705565Some budget busters https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/cheap-eatThere are lots of blogs on frugal feeding/living so have a dig around for some really clever ideas.https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2755845/frugal-mum-feeds-her-family-for-1-each-per-day-with-these-easy-recipes-and-grocery-shopping-tips/

Thankyou for this fantastic ideas! My kids will like this too!
Original Poster
Thankyou for all your replies so excellent ideas x
Original Poster
n15hu9 h, 20 m ago

Try making some vegetable soup. Some of the major supermarkets were …Try making some vegetable soup. Some of the major supermarkets were offering free vegetables just after Christmas and New Year. Homemade macaroni and cheese. Easy to make the bechamel sauce and add grated cheese to make a cheese sauce. If you need recipes let me know? Both dishes are ideal for the winter season and reasonably cheap and easy to prepare. You could make stews, stir-fry & pasta dishes too?

Just wondered, do you have any stew recipes? I really am a useless cook so it would be handy to have a good recipe xx
Thanks for your time and the macaroni idea too! Kids will Def like that!
Edited by: "notforyoureyes" 11th Jan
Sausage Rice mix

1 Mattesons smoked sausage (new spicy garlic one is good for this) , chorizo and/or chicken breast* - sliced/cubed
2 bunches of spring onion or 1 large white onion - chopped
1 large pepper - chopped
2 cloves garlic - crushed
1 teaspoon chilli powder (less or more to taste)
300g long grain rice, washed throughly in cold water
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 stock cube, chicken or vegetable, in 450ml boiling water
1 small can sweetcorn

*Lightly fry the chicken until cooked, then add ;

Gently fry the onion for couple of minutes, add the pepper, garlic and chilli powder fry for another 2 minutes.

Stir in rice, then add tomatoes, heat for 2 mins then add stock.

Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, add more water if required, don't stir too much, or it'll become 'stodgy'.

Stir in sausage and sweetcorn, simmer for another 5 minutes again uncovered - done.

Should feed 2 adults and 2 kids depending on appetite! (if not enough increase the rice and/or meat the next time)
Edited by: "andynicol" 11th Jan
Stews, curries and soups.
Make large batches of them then chill or freeze any extra.
Pad them out with cheap rice or pasta.

Cut back on the meat using beans and pulses for the protein.
Frozen veg are great as it's cheap and lasts ages.
Beans on toast
Soup
Pasta with basic tomato and basil and small sprinkle of cheese
Loulouforgetmenot13 h, 1 m ago

Just wondered, do you have any stew recipes? I really am a useless cook so …Just wondered, do you have any stew recipes? I really am a useless cook so it would be handy to have a good recipe xx Thanks for your time and the macaroni idea too! Kids will Def like that!

Loulouforgetmenot13 h, 1 m ago

Just wondered, do you have any stew recipes? I really am a useless cook so …Just wondered, do you have any stew recipes? I really am a useless cook so it would be handy to have a good recipe xx Thanks for your time and the macaroni idea too! Kids will Def like that!

Vegetable stew

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and chop
2 parsnips, peeled and chop
250g (8oz) swede, peeled and chop
600ml (1 pint) hot vegetable stock
400g can tomatoes or 4 to 6 fresh blended plum tomatoes.
420g can butter beans, drained
2 to 3 teaspoons Salt and Pepper.

(Most root vegetables would work in this stew.)

chop up the root vegetables quite rough and the key is keep them all the same size. (So they all cook evenly)

Method
Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add the onion and fry slowly for 5 mins. Add the other vegetables, cover and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes, so they start to soften.
Pour in the stock and tomatoes, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Sprinkle the salt and pepper into the vegetable stew.

Taste the stew and try some of the root vegetables to ensure they are softened.

Once the stew has reduced and thickened it should be ready to serve.

Optional extras.
celery, peppers, chilli or chilli flakes, a bay leaf for a deeper, earthy taste, homemade dumplings, large portobello mushrooms.

Good luck and enjoy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants