Groups

Cheap e-reader please?

Hi, looking for a cheap as chips ereader for hols coming up. Doesn't have to be a kindle, just readable outdoors. Probably won't use it again after the hols which is why I don't want to spend much. Cheers!

6 Comments

I love my kindle and don't want to go back to paper, however in your situation I'd just take two or three paper books rather than invest £40+ in an ereader that you wont use again. You will probably get given suggestion for very cheap tablets, but if you are reading outside a lot of the displays will be rubbish for that and you ideally want an e-ink screen (I believe that's what its called).

Alternatively, go into CEX or game and pick up a second hand kindle or similar.

yes, it is e-ink. far superior for reading than LCD screens used in tablets
    there's the regular kindle (and also paperwhite, voyage and oasis) that all use e-ink, but the fire does NOT and is not suitable as a reader in the sun. My recommendation is for a backlit screen. read in the dark!
    if you read through the year, it may make sense to buy one to keep. lots of free books (out of copyright stuff) that you can legally transfer to your device and read for free.
    if you want to go the kindle way for short term, and looking for the cheapest way, I'd suggest getting one from the FS/FT boards here. If you buy a near mint one for £x and maintain its condition, I would expect the market value to remain almost constant by the time you're back, meaning you can have use of it for your holiday for maybe no more than a fiver or tenner.
    (i don't get why holiday reading is so popular, why people don't read on the bus, in queues, in waiting rooms etc, but then pay hundreds of pounds to travel to an exotic place and whip out a book and spend half their time engrossed in literature. i always have a kindle on me and a selection of books for any occasion - although it's a struggle putting my phone away and getting it out sometimes!)

Amazon Kindle 4th Gen No Touch 2GB WIFI 6" - £15 at CEX

chocci

Bargain!

Original Poster

chocci

Definite bargain!

Want the ereader as we're on budget airline so weight us tight. Won't use it much other times as already have a nook but there's two of us so I wanted one each

Original Poster

So I picked up one of the 4th gen kindles in CEX Leeds £18, A grade without a mark on it. Thanks for the tip, wouldn't have thought of looking there, and they go for like £30 on eBay haha.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tooth extraction55
      2. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)23
      3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?66
      4. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?38
      5. iPhone x53

See more discussions