Groups

Cheap economical cars?

Hi I urgently need a new car and want some advice on what would be the best option. I will be doing a lot of mileage so want something that is economical, looks half decent (so no nissan micras please!) and that will last me about a year so I can save and get something better. My budget is about £3k. Thanks

17 Comments

Whats wrong with a Nissan Micra?!? lol

Off the top of my head I'd say a 2000-2007 Mondeo 2.0TDCi, cheap due to ex fleet supplies.

ei8hty5ive;8092493

Whats wrong with a Nissan Micra?!? lol

He said alot of miles, so I assume motorways, supermini cars on motorways are quite horrific.

schizoboy;8092496

Off the top of my head I'd say a 2000-2007 Mondeo 2.0TDCi, cheap due to … Off the top of my head I'd say a 2000-2007 Mondeo 2.0TDCi, cheap due to ex fleet supplies.

LMAO

terrible MPG out of these 2 ltrs Diesel

better off with a 1.5d clio or saxo

kjbenja;8092521

LMAOterrible MPG out of these 2 ltrs Dieselbetter off with a 1.5d clio or … LMAOterrible MPG out of these 2 ltrs Dieselbetter off with a 1.5d clio or saxo

Not denying that, I just personally would not want to drive thousands of miles in a clio or saxo

schizoboy;8092526

Not denying that, I just personally would not want to drive thousands of … Not denying that, I just personally would not want to drive thousands of miles in a clio or saxo

Wouldn't want to drive any miles in a Saxo.

Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions so far, i'm going to be doing a mixture of motorway and urban miles so something with a high combined mpg would be nice, at the moment I've seen a 2004 honda civic 1.7 cdti and a 2003 ford fiesta 1.4tdci, anybody had any experiences with either? every time i google economical cars it only shows the latest models which are out of my price range at the moment

i don't like cars micra/saxo/yaris because they are too small, i'd prefer a medium sized hatchback or even possibly a saloon. thanks for the input so far!

galactico;8092557

thanks for the suggestions so far, i'm going to be doing a mixture of … thanks for the suggestions so far, i'm going to be doing a mixture of motorway and urban miles so something with a high combined mpg would be nice, at the moment I've seen a 2004 honda civic 1.7 cdti and a 2003 ford fiesta 1.4tdci, anybody had any experiences with either? every time i google economical cars it only shows the latest models which are out of my price range at the momenti don't like cars micra/saxo/yaris because they are too small, i'd prefer a medium sized hatchback or even possibly a saloon. thanks for the input so far!

Fabia vRS. One on Autotrader now close to your budget after haggling! Low mileage and full Skoda service history. Not mine, but it would be if I were in your position!

autotrader.co.uk/cla…e=p

galactico;8092557

thanks for the suggestions so far, i'm going to be doing a mixture of … thanks for the suggestions so far, i'm going to be doing a mixture of motorway and urban miles so something with a high combined mpg would be nice, at the moment I've seen a 2004 honda civic 1.7 cdti and a 2003 ford fiesta 1.4tdci, anybody had any experiences with either? every time i google economical cars it only shows the latest models which are out of my price range at the momenti don't like cars micra/saxo/yaris because they are too small, i'd prefer a medium sized hatchback or even possibly a saloon. thanks for the input so far!

Micra/Saxo/Yaris is same supermini range as the Fiesta.

Civic is good but is still a family car/hatchback which is why I suggested the larger, bigger wheelbase Mondeo which I found to be fine around London.

Also compare Mondeo to the Civic in terms of servicing/parts/insurance i bet in total, in the end I bet the Mondeo wins in lowest costs.

Toyota Corolla - 40+ mpg from the 1.6 but get a pre 2000 model the later ones drink almost as much oil as petrol

I'd look at a Ford Focus (old model). Good car to drive, fairly economical, a lot out there in your price range.

Check out the vw golf gt tdi's.
    Get about 400+ miles on about £35

deek72;8092550

Wouldn't want to drive any miles in a Saxo.

You'd be lucky to drive any miles in a Saxo.

galactico;8092557

We've got a 2005 Fiesta 1.4tdci. It's very economical and reliable - trip computer on the dash is always set to display mpg and it's always 50-52mpg combined.
    The only thing I've had go wrong was a wheel bearing which cost

vauxhall astra 1.7dti eco can get upto 80 mpg on a run according to their figures and only £35 a year tax:thumbsup: you would be looking at an 03-04 reg i should think:thumbsup:

Where about are you?? I do have 2 for sale..

jl4jl;8093670

Where about are you?? I do have 2 for sale..

What 2 do you have for sale?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2240
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346
      4. What would be HELL to you?2634

See more discussions