Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Cheap fix for hole in brick wall after unused vent blown off?

Posted 24th May 2020
Hi guys, during some crazy wind my outside dryer vent has blown away and left a hole. I don’t use it so want to know what’s best to repair/ fill it so no creepy crawlers take refuge. I’ve placed a old worn brick in for now Thanks

3470621-ZqGDQ.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Get some expanding foam, quick and easy to use. Won't look pretty but will do the job.

screwfix.com/p/n….ds
666FU24/05/2020 15:58

Get some expanding foam, quick and easy to use. Won't look pretty but will …Get some expanding foam, quick and easy to use. Won't look pretty but will do the job. https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-expanding-foam-hand-held-750ml/75470?tc=VB1&ds_kid=92700048793315993&ds_rl=1249416&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqj2BRBYEiwAqfzur1O6qRvZpt1mjcuY_dk1UaNiZ2QT6nxfZ3UT91rMzeMdoo64InO6HBoC-zMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We did this, and bought a cheap vent cover and stuck it on over the dried foam to tidy it up a bit
13 Comments
Concrete
Get some expanding foam, quick and easy to use. Won't look pretty but will do the job.

screwfix.com/p/n….ds

Get some expanding foam, quick and easy to use. Won't look pretty but will …Get some expanding foam, quick and easy to use. Won't look pretty but will do the job. https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-expanding-foam-hand-held-750ml/75470?tc=VB1&ds_kid=92700048793315993&ds_rl=1249416&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqj2BRBYEiwAqfzur1O6qRvZpt1mjcuY_dk1UaNiZ2QT6nxfZ3UT91rMzeMdoo64InO6HBoC-zMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We did this, and bought a cheap vent cover and stuck it on over the dried foam to tidy it up a bit
It’s other side of my fence but my vent so not to bothered what it looks like I guess . Would you remove the brick or just push it in a bit more then cover with foam? Thanks
Just now big are the creepie crawlies if you think that brick is going to stop them? Could get a whole plague of locusts through there
rollercoaster6324/05/2020 16:09

It’s other side of my fence but my vent so not to bothered what it looks l …It’s other side of my fence but my vent so not to bothered what it looks like I guess . Would you remove the brick or just push it in a bit more then cover with foam? Thanks

Yours or council house?
I personally would foam around the brick, then trim foam back and then fix a cheap vent over it. Very little outlay and quick and tidy job.

this will useful for me in future
diy.com/dep…prd

Brick face repair will fill that nicely. Just add water. Make sure you get the red brick and not buff. You could then make indents to shape as a brick and mortar
bin bag job
Looks like it was glued on... Just get another vent and use some screws to secure it
I reckon you could use some cement or mortar mix, line up and fix that brick then fill the hole above with more cement. Then to tidy the whole affair up, you can use brick coloured paint over the cement. I use Airfix mortar coloured model paint to touch up the lines between bricks. Sort of thing I do after a builder or boiler fitter has used cement instead of mortar and has left a bit of an unsightly mess on an outside wall.
Used the foam which was great and covered with a replacement vent once sanded back. Job done thanks guys
rollercoaster6326/05/2020 13:21

Used the foam which was great and covered with a replacement vent once …Used the foam which was great and covered with a replacement vent once sanded back. Job done thanks guys

Good job, and cheap as chips!
Post a comment
@
    Text