Cheap flooring, what to do?

Posted 14th Dec 2019Edited by:"chance189"
Hi. I need put a new floor in the kitchen/living room. I was looking at vinyl tiles, not sure if the quality is good, but I have a low budget.

Would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
LVT is very good but quite expensive . Wickes have decent tile effect laminate not to expensive looks nice down and is easy to fit
What surface will you be laying them on, ie existing lino/vinyl, wooden floorboards etc.
I would suggest lino for the kitchen (cheapest and easiest to maintain by far) or you can use normal laminate floor and put something like Click Guard (you can get it in Wickes) on the joints. That will make it resistant to occasional "larger" spillages. Looks so much better that lino.

vinyl tiles and low budget rarely go together.
Edited by: "spamabsorbed" 14th Dec 2019
JimboParrot14/12/2019 12:45

What surface will you be laying them on, ie existing lino/vinyl, wooden …What surface will you be laying them on, ie existing lino/vinyl, wooden floorboards etc.

The living room has wooden flooring. The carpet was pulled out so I wonder if I'll need to sand it to get rid of the remnants.

The kitchen has some kind of plasticy gritty base. Was told it was unfinished.
Edited by: "chance189" 14th Dec 2019
vinyl tiles are expensive and time consuming to lay. get vinyl as that will be the cheapest option and will last a while. if you don't mind the pattern, they will often have the less popular pattern on sale. if your kitchen is small you can often get the remnants of a roll, that is the end of the big roll, cheaper if you go into store and say you have a low budget so do they have any cheap vinyl or remnants for sale.
Edited by: "mutley1" 14th Dec 2019
We have vinyl in our kitchen, it’s 4 metres by 5 metres and cost £325 installed. Our floor was just a smooth concrete once I had taken up the tiles that had been there before.
Go to a carpet/flooring shop and checkout there returns/roll ends. Normally a good amount of the RRP.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 14th Dec 2019
Wolfout14/12/2019 15:20

We have vinyl in our kitchen, it’s 4 metres by 5 metres and cost £325 in …We have vinyl in our kitchen, it’s 4 metres by 5 metres and cost £325 installed. Our floor was just a smooth concrete once I had taken up the tiles that had been there before.

That's good. Which company was the flooring from?
chance18914/12/2019 16:57

That's good. Which company was the flooring from?

It was an independent carpet and vinyl fitter, he gets trade discount at the carpet store and passes it on to his customer. If you live in or near Southend-on-sea I can give you his number
He also did the master bedroom in vinyl but because that needed hardboard/ply put down between the floorboards and the vinyl that came to £650. Here a couple pictures of the floors
39368699-NzWOt.jpg

39368699-mo28j.jpg
If you want to reduce costs, sand the wooden floor in the living room then treat it rather than putting anything over it, then use the money saved to get LVT for the kitchen.
Wolfout14/12/2019 17:00

It was an independent carpet and vinyl fitter, he gets trade discount at …It was an independent carpet and vinyl fitter, he gets trade discount at the carpet store and passes it on to his customer. If you live in or near Southend-on-sea I can give you his number

Thanks so much for offering. I'm in London. so it's probably too far.

Wolfout14/12/2019 17:06

He also did the master bedroom in vinyl but because that needed …He also did the master bedroom in vinyl but because that needed hardboard/ply put down between the floorboards and the vinyl that came to £650. Here a couple pictures of the floors[Image] [Image]

It's beautiful. Love the kitchen cabinets as well. Where did you get them?
chance18914/12/2019 21:58

Thanks so much for offering. I'm in London. so it's probably too far.It's …Thanks so much for offering. I'm in London. so it's probably too far.It's beautiful. Love the kitchen cabinets as well. Where did you get them?

Wren kitchens for the cupboards, the range cooker is a leisure from AO purchased when they had a discount and leisure were giving Cashback and the table and bar stool chairs came from amazon.

all in including a new ceiling and replastering the walls and removal of the old kitchen stuff, the kitchen remodel came to just under £7500, and wren had a buy now pay one year later zero interest so got to pay half one year and the rest the next
I've got vinyl click tiles from BQ, They've been down about 8 months and already the joints are busted on some of them. Really disappointed and wished we'd just put normal vinyl down.
.MUFC.15/12/2019 10:38

I've got vinyl click tiles from BQ, They've been down about 8 months and …I've got vinyl click tiles from BQ, They've been down about 8 months and already the joints are busted on some of them. Really disappointed and wished we'd just put normal vinyl down.

Ah, thanks for the warning. That's awful, they should replace it. I thought they had a guarantee?
chance18915/12/2019 13:56

Ah, thanks for the warning. That's awful, they should replace it. I …Ah, thanks for the warning. That's awful, they should replace it. I thought they had a guarantee?

It does but then I would have to to rip it all up etc..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions