Cheap gaming pc question

Found 3rd Sep 2017Edited by:"lumsdot"
Have seen a fujitsu esprimo C710 i5 3470 8GB on ebay for 120 or near offer.
Was tempted to buy and add a second pc power supply (joining grounds and switch on signals) and add something like a r9 280x from CEX and use the 2nd power supply to power the 280 via a cable direct to the card
ie. PC i guess about 110 and the graphics card about 90
i have a second 500 watt power supply and I have a IDE hard drive, would purchase an IDE to SATA convertor from abay for about 5 quid. What do you think, is this a good idea , would it work? link to ebay item in first post
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I'm not knowledgeable of small form factor (SFF) PCs, but I'm guessing you would need the SFF version of the RX280 if that exists?
Have you double checked what power the pcie slot supplies.
the pc only has a 230watt power supply.
the slot,is a pci 3.0 x16 slot

if the card does not fit the case, i would remove everthing from the case and make it fit
ps motherboard has non standard 16 pin power supply socket, hence the need to piggy back another psu.
I would keep an eye out for something in a normal matx case. Trying to find a good deal on a sff gpu is hard work. This appears to be a normal micro atx case: uk.webuy.com/pro…01B
Edited by: "emodan" 3rd Sep 2017
Every bit of that Frankenstein-build sounds like a disaster. Sometimes, it's better just to spend an extra few quid on something good instead of trying to cobble together something cheap from a load of scrap, spares, old parts and adapters.
lumsdot3rd Sep

the pc only has a 230watt power supply.the slot,is a pci 3.0 x16 slotif …the pc only has a 230watt power supply.the slot,is a pci 3.0 x16 slotif the card does not fit the case, i would remove everthing from the case and make it fit

what if the card is wider than the case (as per the type you have suggested)? also bad idea btw31909047-ayFx2.jpg
Edited by: "Bertz99" 6th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants