Expired

Cheap insurance for young drivers

Found 18th Feb 2009
Looking for insurance for myself, and as expected the premiums are massive. Can anyone tell me who they got deals with, or who they're sons/daughters got good quotes from?

I'm 18 and trying to get insured on a 1.2 fiat punto. Also, is their any benefit in adding my mum to the policy, even if she has no years no claims, or will that just put the price up more?

1. Ask
  2. Insurance
16 Comments

Adding your mum is likely to put the premium down, as she is older and a women.
Unfortunatly for the first year there is no such thing as a cheap premium, you will just have to work up your no claims.
My first years insurance was over a grand and that was one my mums insurance as well, using her ncb.

it'll vary depending on where you live and a whole load of individual factors, best bet is confused.com

Personal experience, you'll probably not get insurance for less than £1000 unless you buy a 'classic' car and get a limited mileage policy, harsh but thats insurance for you I'm afraid!

drive (very carefully) without it. worst you'll get is your car crushed and a £60 fine. better than paying £1k . . ( your car'll be worth £350 ?)

myaser88;4414137

drive (very carefully) without it. worst you'll get is your car crushed … drive (very carefully) without it. worst you'll get is your car crushed and a £60 fine. better than paying £1k . . ( your car'll be worth £350 ?)

lol bad bad advice

Putting your mum on insurance is a good idea.

But it might be even better to add a lower risk person. For example my Dad has 30 plus years driving experience and full no claims, however my girlfriend's Mum has same but is female (obviously). I get a bigger discount for adding girlfriend's mum; so don't restrict yourself to close family.

By the way I am 25 with 4 years no claims and this trick still saves me money (last quote £325, so it will get better).

Online comparison sites are great for seeing what works out cheapest.

I also don't recommend fully comp if you've got an old banger - which may or may not be the case.

Drive safely and build up that no claims.:)

myaser88;4414137

drive (very carefully) without it. worst you'll get is your car crushed … drive (very carefully) without it. worst you'll get is your car crushed and a £60 fine. better than paying £1k . . ( your car'll be worth £350 ?)

you must be some sort of di*k to make that sort of advice - i only hope he crashes in to you and your car - and then you spend the next couple of years trying to make a claim against him

definitely add your mum to the insurance it will bring your premium down - but like everyone is saying I doubt it very much you will get it much below £ 1,000

Original Poster

I know i'm not getting a quote under £1000, but one under £2000 would make me happy :P

I was getting some alright quotes, then I realised I can't use my dad's no claims on my car as he's using them on the other car.

- Try using your mum as the policy holder and you as an additional driver.
- Possibly use another address, as this sometimes lowers your premium
- Go 3rd party if poss
- Alter your job slightly i.e. if I were a teaching assistant I would put a supply teacher - apparantly they are in the low risk group

Please do not listen to the advice about not bother to insure yourself

I had a Punto before I swapped it last year and moved to a 1.2 Clio. I went on my mum's policy instead of the other way round and I guarantee it will take it down to under £500.
I'm with Tesco Value car insurance at the minute on the Clio and for my mum and me added as a named driver including £70 breakdown cover is £315 fully comp. Plus, as it's Tesco it's powered by Direct Line so I still get No Claims bonus as a named driver.
Might be something to think about. In reverse, i.e. my policy with my mum on it, it goes up to over a grand I think so it saves a lot of money while you're young and lets you build up your no claims.
I'm twenty three by the way lol.

Original Poster

I'll insure myself, there's no doubt about that.

I've been told I have to be put as the main driver, as if I crash and I'm not the main driver, the policy is void, which is ridiculous, because that could have been the first time i'd driven the car is months!

I just tried adding my mum and dad as named drivers on the insurance quote I had with churchill, and they put the price up, not down.

PaulNT;4414579

I'll insure myself, there's no doubt about that. I've been told I have to … I'll insure myself, there's no doubt about that. I've been told I have to be put as the main driver, as if I crash and I'm not the main driver, the policy is void, which is ridiculous, because that could have been the first time i'd driven the car is months!I just tried adding my mum and dad as named drivers on the insurance quote I had with churchill, and they put the price up, not down.

Churchill are quite dear for young drivers, in my experience. Tesco Value (or even Tesco) or M&S have both returned decent quotes for me in the last year.

PaulNT;4414579

I've been told I have to be put as the main driver, as if I crash and I'm … I've been told I have to be put as the main driver, as if I crash and I'm not the main driver, the policy is void, which is ridiculous, because that could have been the first time i'd driven the car is months!.

Never heard of that before. It would be void if the policy holder were not the registered keeper - so you would put the car in your mum / dads name and have them as the policy holder.

Would also recommend Tesco. If you go via a comparison site and are given a quote, go directly to the insurer and do another quote, as this sometimes work out cheaper

Good luck

My first years insurance was £800 with noriwch union, but that was a 1litre, which probably made the difference.

Pass plus is a massive recommendation - pass plus cost me £50 to do and knocked hundreds off my first years insurance. As i did pass plus with my original instructor most of the criteria had already been ticked, so just had to go on a motorway for 3 hours and it was covered.

Third party will knock a load off. Keep your milage as low as possible. Add your mum (you can see what difference this makes by comparing through a comparison site and then changing the criteria and adding your mum). I recommend Tesco compare, because more often than not they try to beat the cheapest quote themselves.

I'm now 23, have been with Tesco's for 4 years, 16k milage, 1.6 car and i enjoy insurance for less than £400 now. It will soon start dropping next year. Another thing to look out for is the NCD accelerators, where you get 9 months worth of insurance and achieve 1 years NCD, thus after 18 months you have 2, 27 months you have 3 and so on.

Also, I would seriously look at QUIDCO as there are some seriously good cashbacks going on there at the moment, and every little will help!!

Hope that helps and good luck

Original Poster

I wish I could get an £800 quote.

The lowest I have so far is £2400, and that's on a 1.2 fiat punto doing less than 7k miles a year.

No where else will offer me anything lower, most other places are around 4k, my mates in school have insurance for around the 1.2k mark, so I must be doing something wrong, but i've tried their insurance companies, and my quotes are nothing like theirs...

spider1986;4414576

I had a Punto before I swapped it last year and moved to a 1.2 Clio. I … I had a Punto before I swapped it last year and moved to a 1.2 Clio. I went on my mum's policy instead of the other way round and I guarantee it will take it down to under £500. I'm with Tesco Value car insurance at the minute on the Clio and for my mum and me added as a named driver including £70 breakdown cover is £315 fully comp. Plus, as it's Tesco it's powered by Direct Line so I still get No Claims bonus as a named driver.Might be something to think about. In reverse, i.e. my policy with my mum on it, it goes up to over a grand I think so it saves a lot of money while you're young and lets you build up your no claims.I'm twenty three by the way lol.

There is no point with this, unless your willing to stay with Direct Line for ever then you cannot take these NCB's to another insurance company, and as I (along with a lot of people) find Direct Line very very expensive, it is not worth it. If you can afford it do put yourself as the main driver so you can claim your NCB, and it will bring your insurance down a lot in the near future.
Another point is that only your mum will be fully comp on this insurance, and even then it will probably mean she cant drive any other cars on this policy.
Yes, its cheaper now, but when you eventually need to get your own policy, then its worth having those NCB
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Consumer Rights - Wrong Description of Fridge611
    2. Xbox one games with gold November!33
    3. Buying Christmas tree after Christmas44
    4. Advice on selling an iPhone?79

See more discussions