Groups

cheap landline deals

Hi,

Can anyone help please.

Im looking for a cheap landline phone deal if possible. Dont need broadband or tv.

Or if i can get a cheap package deal might just go for that too. Whatever works out better price wise. Thanks in advance!

14 Comments

I wouldn't bother with a Landline. You are going to pay £19 or there abouts without any calls. Is there a special reason you need a Landline????

Original Poster

Its for my mum. She doesn't like to use mobile phone.

Original Poster

Do u think I should go for a package deal. Will that work out better? Will have the tv too and broadband

With all due respect, it will work out significantly cheaper if she used a mobile.

All of the Doro range are easy to use and function similarly to a normal DECT (cordless) landline phone.

Stick a Three Pay As You Go SIM inside (make sure the Doro is 3G capable though) and Pay As You Go for calls at just 3p per minute. Don't like Three? There's also O2 Classic Pay As You Go with calls at 5p per minute.

And I agree with 'getmeone'; you are going to pay at least £18 just for the line on its own. With a Pay As You Go SIM card from Three or O2 you could make loads of calls for that.

same here another friend of mine had similar issues he got a phone that looks lie a landline and just tops it up if she talks alot then a pay monthly sim with a lot of mins may work out cheaper. he didn't tell his mum it was a mobile but u might want be honest instead. if not have u tried contacting BT they have a special discount from years ago which they don't advertise but it's available to certain people il try find its name for u.

ok looking at it I think it's this , BT Basic: the basics

Basic is a social tariff which the telecoms provider runs at a loss in order to meet their Universal Service commitment.

Basic aims to keep phones ringing in the most vulnerable households by charging as little as possible: £5.10 a month.

Who can get it?

Anyone who receives one of the following could get BT Basic:

Income support
    Income based Jobseeker's allowance (JSA)
    Guaranteed pensions credit
    Income based Employment and Support Allowance
    Universal Credit, with zero earnings
    Exceptions

Not saying that this is any good because I have not tried it. But it would appear to do what you want.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41EXViU8YML.jpg

amazon.co.uk/Wir…one

MynameisM

ok looking at it I think it's this , BT Basic: the basicsBasic is a … ok looking at it I think it's this , BT Basic: the basicsBasic is a social tariff which the telecoms provider runs at a loss in order to meet their Universal Service commitment.Basic aims to keep phones ringing in the most vulnerable households by charging as little as possible: £5.10 a month.Who can get it?Anyone who receives one of the following could get BT Basic:Income supportIncome based Jobseeker's allowance (JSA)Guaranteed pensions creditIncome based Employment and Support AllowanceUniversal Credit, with zero earningsExceptions

​I kept that line for 3 years it was £3 or 4 never needed any benefit but only requirement was u never had bt on ur name
    In the start it was capable of running broadband but later they stopped it somehow and phone was only able for send n receive calls
    Replaced it with vonage n kept another 5 years

Original Poster

Thankyou everyone for your comments. I wasnt aware of the BT deal or the doro range. Much appreciated! Will definitely be purchasing it.

I also read about the post office social landline probably similar to the bt one, I think it was on mse and it also includes an allowance for calls too
    Edited by: "slevinkelevra" 25th Jan

I'm in a similar situation, I recently moved out at mums and have talktalk Bb and landline. She doesn't know how to use Internet or mobiles, I've been debating what t doc ant decide as it's handy if people go round and can use Internet, and I have a free mobile sim attached to the deal so it makes it more complicated with leaving.
    As thought of going with another network and getting things like cash back so in effect it pays for itself, but it's just more hassle, I'll do it someday, nearly went for the sky deals they had before xmas

moneysavingexpert.com/pho…lls
    Can't see the post office deal it was a few years back so maybe since the post office has become private maybe they stopped doing it and bt have taken the helm.
    The bt is fifteen pounds a quarter with £4.5 worth of calls it says not bad at all.

getmeone

I wouldn't bother with a Landline. You are going to pay £19 or there … I wouldn't bother with a Landline. You are going to pay £19 or there abouts without any calls. Is there a special reason you need a Landline????

£19? You'd only pay that much if you go for BT, TalkTalk or other provider that hide broadband costs in the line rental price (and they usually have absurdly high prices per minute too, like 10p+)

I'd ignore the big telecoms providers as they all do it and look at an small business/enthusiast provider like Uno or Pulse8. You'll paid around £12-14 per month for the line and 1p per minute for landline calls:

pulse8broadband.co.uk/lin…ges
    uno.net.uk/pac…al/
    (uno show prices excluding VAT)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any advice on mobile networks.88
      2. How to cancel Sky subscription912
      3. Biscuit addiction2262
      4. Just an thought regarding Paypal1211

See more discussions