Groups

cheap material

Hi does anyone know of any online sites which sell cheap fabric please? It is for school displays and budget is tight. Thanks

16 Comments

If you are within a reasonable distance of J11 or the M1 there is a shop I can recommend.

Original Poster

dozstanford

If you are within a reasonable distance of J11 or the M1 there is a shop … If you are within a reasonable distance of J11 or the M1 there is a shop I can recommend.

That's too far for me, but thanks anyway

Look on eBay for fabric pieces called a 'fat quarter'. They're not huge pieces but might be big enough for what you need.

Original Poster

squiff

Look on eBay for fabric pieces called a 'fat quarter'. They're not huge … Look on eBay for fabric pieces called a 'fat quarter'. They're not huge pieces but might be big enough for what you need.

Thank you so much, I'll have a look now.

Do you mean you need to drape tables ,walls or notice boards?
    If it is large quantities try your local market .
    Alternatively ,charity shops for curtains ,tablecloths or sheets if you need a lot for a small outlay
    It is hard to answer without a clear idea of what you intend to do with it.
    i have bought whole rolls off ebay in the past ,averaging a very good price per metre ,but often the postage cost puts up the overall cost

Original Poster

All of the above, blue fabric needed for "water" etc. to surround a boat on the floor. Brown to drape on 3 tables and to provide texture on a display board. The charity shop is a good idea thank you, I never thought of that. I know what you mean about delivery charges on ebay though. Thanks for your advice

look on your local Freecycle.

Original Poster

postmang

look on your local Freecycle.

Sorry if I sound thick, but what's that, I've never heard of it?

kiteworld.co.uk/aca…tml
    Lightweight, bright colours, won't get grubby quickly, doesn't fray. From £4.25 a metre (and about £3.95 - £4.95 postage total). Usually 150cm width. You can reuse it later on other projects, even outdoors. Can be slippy, so glue, sew or use duct tape to anchor it. Hope this helps.

Original Poster

aninginaneana

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/acatalog/Ripstop_Nylon.htmlLightweight, bright … http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/acatalog/Ripstop_Nylon.htmlLightweight, bright colours, won't get grubby quickly, doesn't fray. From £4.25 a metre (and about £3.95 - £4.95 postage total). Usually 150cm width. You can reuse it later on other projects, even outdoors. Can be slippy, so glue, sew or use duct tape to anchor it. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, very much appreciated

or check freegle. ..charity shops or small shops...craft

Original Poster

sum786

or check freegle. ..charity shops or small shops...craft

Thanks

shywallflower

Sorry if I sound thick, but what's that, I've never heard of it?

​it's a website u need join and then choose ur local area people put things on there for free if they don't want them and u can have them for free which reminds me I joined years ago and haven't really used it ever.

where about do u live try abakhan if there's one near u or there's Asian shops in most areas selling cloth to make clothes out of some fabrics start at 1 pound per meter.

Original Poster

muddassarsardar

​it's a website u need join and then choose ur local area people put t … ​it's a website u need join and then choose ur local area people put things on there for free if they don't want them and u can have them for free which reminds me I joined years ago and haven't really used it ever.

That sounds like a good idea, one man's rubbish etc

Original Poster

muddassarsardar

where about do u live try abakhan if there's one near u or there's Asian … where about do u live try abakhan if there's one near u or there's Asian shops in most areas selling cloth to make clothes out of some fabrics start at 1 pound per meter.

I do have an Abakhan, I'll check it out thank you.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767258
      2. word association Game73944482
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826370
      4. Lets hope that there are as few injuries as possible - Parson's Green40214

See more discussions