Expired

Cheap metal free weights(weight training)

Found 6th Jun 2012
Hi guys I am looking for some cheap free weights, I can't find any at a reasonable price. I am looking for plates between 5kg-20kg

Any help is appreciated

4 Comments

Good luck with that! I bought mine about 2 years ago and found there was a lot of competition with other buyers. My best tips are -

look online frequently, forget ebay unless it's BIN at a good price and focus on free ad sites (gumtree, fridayads, freeads and my favorite trade-it [idk if it covers as far down as Newquay though?])

When you find a bargain phone fast and collect asap, as above many will try and gazump if left too long.

Often the best deals are in sets with stuff you already own - buy them up and resell with spare/vinyl lighter weights. I now own over 200k of metal plates dumbbells, barbell and multi curling/tri bar + york bench with attached squat rack(only rated to 100k but strengthened by myself.) I bought at least 6 "sets" at great prices and resold the spare benches/bars and inferior plates very easily as sets(at full used price) - my whole set up probably cost me less than £50.

Ideally I'd like to upgrade to Olympic 2" bar/weights and a power rack but they cost mega bucks. I've tested my 1" reebok barbell with 200k and it didn't bend, and feel quite confidant squatting 160 with it.
Edited by: "Metalwrath" 6th Jun 2012

Original Poster

Metalwrath

Good luck with that! I bought mine about 2 years ago and found there was … Good luck with that! I bought mine about 2 years ago and found there was a lot of competition with other buyers. My best tips are -look online frequently, forget ebay unless it's BIN at a good price and focus on free ad sites (gumtree, fridayads, freeads and my favorite trade-it [idk if it covers as far down as Newquay though?])When you find a bargain phone fast and collect asap, as above many will try and gazump if left too long.Often the best deals are in sets with stuff you already own - buy them up and resell with spare/vinyl lighter weights. I now own over 200k of metal plates dumbbells, barbell and multi curling/tri bar + york bench with attached squat rack(only rated to 100k but strengthened by myself.) I bought at least 6 "sets" at great prices and resold the spare benches/bars and inferior plates very easily as sets(at full used price) - my whole set up probably cost me less than £50.Ideally I'd like to upgrade to Olympic 2" bar/weights and a power rack but they cost mega bucks. I've tested my 1" reebok barbell with 200k and it didn't bend, and feel quite confidant squatting 160 with it.

Yeah I know it's a pain getting this stuff now, it's just sad how much weight is probably sitting in peoples houses gathering dust. I was thinking the same and welding my bench to make it stronger.

Ok I will hit the free ad sites, thanks for that Metalwrath X)

This may not help,but I got my weights free off freecycle

Original Poster

mysmugcat

This may not help,but I got my weights free off freecycle

Yeah i have made a few requests on free cycle. No joy yet though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants