Groups
    EXPIRED

Cheap mp3 player for a 9 year old girl?

I am looking for a cheap mp3 player for a nine year old girl. What do you recommend?

37 Comments

Define cheap.
    Colour?
    Pictures as well or just music?

Theres some cheap ones in woolworths...

Also does the girl wanted alot of songs?

Cos theres small one in tesco £4 i think 256mb but u could compress muic to fit ore songs on/

Original Poster

I'm afraid I know nothing about them. I thought they were for music I didn't know about pictures. I don't have any idea how many songs they hold. I thought they were like little walkmans except she wouldn't need to take the cd's out with her.
    She would probably like something that looks girly; and it will probably be used for long car journeys where I prefer to listen to what she calls, "Sad Radio", or for when she is in the garden.
    I had in mind about £20 if this is possible.
    Thanks for your help.

][COLOR="Red"]This[/COLOR] 1gb is £14.99 at play. Seems a decent price and a good company if any problems.

I would get a 1gb minimum as you will only end up getting a larger capacity one when the smaller one is full.

I think a 1gb will hold approx 150-200 songs.

Seeing as you seem to know little about them are you going to be ok getting the songs and putting them on it?

This is a nice one from ]Argos, ony £20.00, in pink
    http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/0841393A66UC286842X.jpg
    but they have a blueish one for £15.00 ]Argos:-
    http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/0841520A66UC286839X.jpg

Gregs is great value for money:-
    http://images.play.com/covers/3230228x.jpg

Original Poster

Dino, will you tell me more about the ones that hold pictures? Are they very expensive?

This one from ]Amazon is nice, only £25.00

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/4109Moe5rQL._SS400_.jpg
    Storage: Nand Flash memory (1Gb)
    Display: 1.8" TFT LCD screen (128x160 pixels) 65,000 colours
    Supported Formats: MP3 (MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5, layer 1/2/3, ID3 tag display), WMA, MTV (video), JPEG (digital photos)
    MP3 bit rate 32Kbps-320Kbps
    WMA bit rate 5Kbps-340Kbps
    Mini-USB port
    USB 2.0 interface for faster file transfers
    Signal/noise ratio 85db
    Audio Frequency Range: 20hz-20Khz
    FM radio with recording function
    Voice recording function
    Video playback: AVI and DivX files can be easily and quickly converted to be played on the V-PLAY, MPEG-4 and other formats may need to be first converted as AVI file
    Power: Rechargeable Li-Polymer battery
    Battery Life: 8 hours (audio), 3 hours (video)
    3.5mm earphones jack
    Dimensions: 74.5x37x11mm
    Weight: 40g
    1 year UK-based warranty

Original Poster

Thank you guys you are all amazing. Please keep your suggestions coming. I have to go to my daughters sports day shortly, but I will be back to look at your suggestions later, and I will leave rep for you all.

To be honest, I would go for a cheap MP3 player, maybe something like this from ]Amazon £10.00 plus delivery or round it up to £15.00, as you know :):-
    http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/31XX3AE5KGL._AA280_.jpg
    And then at Christmas get her a MP4 player. She will have got used to a MP3 player by then.

Original Poster

What's a MP4 player?

Christmasshopper

What's a MP4 player?

As far as I know, some have a few games on, a radio and you can store pictures and maybe watch a movie.

]Wikipedia article on MP4 players.

Original Poster

greg_68

Seeing as you seem to know little about them are you going to be ok … Seeing as you seem to know little about them are you going to be ok getting the songs and putting them on it?

:whistling: No, of course not!
    But I've already enlisted the help of a friend to do it for me. ;-)

Original Poster

greg_68

][COLOR=magenta]£17.99[/COLOR] + del for a more of a 'name'

I like this one best so far. What do you think?

Maybe more than you want to pay, but I got this when there was £10 off via Google checkout ebuyer.com/UK/…085

Original Poster

5757alan

Maybe more than you want to pay, but I got this when there was £10 off … Maybe more than you want to pay, but I got this when there was £10 off via Google checkout ]http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126085

Has the £10 off finished now?

Original Poster

vengod

Theres some cheap ones in woolworths...Also does the girl wanted alot of … Theres some cheap ones in woolworths...Also does the girl wanted alot of songs?Cos theres small one in tesco £4 i think 256mb but u could compress muic to fit ore songs on/

I called in Tesco tonight and they are sold out. Thanks for telling me though. Rep left.

Christmasshopper

Has the £10 off finished now?

Finished last month.:-(

Original Poster

How do the rechargeable one charge up? They don't seem to come with a charger and if they charge with a USB cable she wouldn't be able to use it on holiday, would she? Or am I missing something?

Christmasshopper

How do the rechargeable one charge up? They don't seem to come with a … How do the rechargeable one charge up? They don't seem to come with a charger and if they charge with a USB cable she wouldn't be able to use it on holiday, would she? Or am I missing something?

You can buy 240v chargers for them or Docking stations.
    To be honest, to start with a battery one might be your best choice, in my old mp3 player the battery lasted days.:-D

Original Poster

dinosteveus

This one from ]Amazon is nice, only £25.00Storage: Nand Flash memory … This one from ]Amazon is nice, only £25.00Storage: Nand Flash memory (1Gb)Display: 1.8" TFT LCD screen (128x160 pixels) 65,000 coloursSupported Formats: MP3 (MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5, layer 1/2/3, ID3 tag display), WMA, MTV (video), JPEG (digital photos)MP3 bit rate 32Kbps-320KbpsWMA bit rate 5Kbps-340KbpsMini-USB portUSB 2.0 interface for faster file transfersSignal/noise ratio 85dbAudio Frequency Range: 20hz-20KhzFM radio with recording functionVoice recording functionVideo playback: AVI and DivX files can be easily and quickly converted to be played on the V-PLAY, MPEG-4 and other formats may need to be first converted as AVI filePower: Rechargeable Li-Polymer batteryBattery Life: 8 hours (audio), 3 hours (video)3.5mm earphones jackDimensions: 74.5x37x11mmWeight: 40g1 year UK-based warranty

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have left rep for you all.
    After consideration I have decided that I can probably afford to spend a bit more for something with exras. I like this that Dino posted because she would be able to keep photos on it as well as listen to music, and I think it can be expanded later with an sd card.
    Before I go ahead and order this one, are there any "girly" versions available?

5757alan

Maybe more than you want to pay, but I got this when there was £10 off … Maybe more than you want to pay, but I got this when there was £10 off via Google checkout http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126085

I have that same player and recommend it, excellent bit of kit for the money and you can upgrade it if needed too with the SD slot.

Nice size 2.4" screen too unlike most of the 1.5" inch MP4 players that are circulating, could be ideal for the OP's needs as has games too that would be suitable for a 9 year old and she would no doubt have fun with the built in camera/camcorder also.

Original Poster

Wow... the description didn't even mention the camera / camcorder. It does sound ideal. When I asked my daughter what she would like for her birthday she said a camcorder. We told her she had no chance because they are so dear! So her second choice was an MP3 player. I didn't realise that I could buy something that did both. I appreciate that the picture and sound quality might not be all that good, but she is only nine.

ebuyer.com/cus…085

Click on more images to see the photo of the other side which shows the camera, when I say camcorder I mean that in a loose term as it's obviously not as good as a real camcorder but just for fun it's great.

Original Poster

Do ebuyer have discount codes? Are there any cash back sites I could use?

Do they do it in pink??

Unfortunately the answer to all those questions is no, they did have quidco but I believe that have stopped that now or changed it to 0.1% so it's not worth bothering with.

But the one in question is only available in the silver/black as shown and Ebuyer never release any discount vouchers.

If you needed anything else from Ebuyer though it would be a good time to buy it with that to qualify for free delivery (as I believe it's free if you spend £49.99 or more).

Money Spinning

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=0&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2dhbGxlcnk=&product_uid=126085#Click on more images to see the photo of the other side which shows the camera, when I say camcorder I mean that in a loose term as it's obviously not as good as a real camcorder but just for fun it's great.

That the one I said earlier. Was going to buy my grand-daughter a cheap digi camera. No need this is excellent for a youngster

Original Poster

I just realised there are 2 versions of this little gadget available. There's a 2GB and a 1GB. The 2GB is a fiver more expensive. Is it the 2GB I should be ordering?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Definately worth the extra, you need any help putting songs on it, just … Definately worth the extra, you need any help putting songs on it, just pm me.

Thank you for your kind offer. I have left rep .

Original Poster

Money Spinning

]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=0&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2dhbGxlcnk=&product_uid=126085#Click on more images to see the photo of the other side which shows the camera, when I say camcorder I mean that in a loose term as it's obviously not as good as a real camcorder but just for fun it's great.

I bought this one. It came very quickly.
    Today we tried to put some extra tunes and pictures on it. The tunes went on ok and played back with out any problems.
    Then I put some photos on it. They seem to go on ok then I managed to look at two of them without any problem. Each time the picture started to appear from the top of the screen and gradually fill the screen until the whole picture was there ( a few seconds). On the 3rd one the top half of the picture appeared and then the screen froze.
    I can't get it to do anything now. It won't go back to the menu. It won't switch off. Nothing happens if I connect the USB cable to the computer. The computer doesn't even recognize that there is anything connected. It is just frozen with half a picture on the screen. The battery isn't removable so I can't switch it off that way. None of the buttons are responding. Any suggestions?

You need to reset the player. You should check the user manual for a way to reset the player. It's usually done by pressing and holding a combination of buttons until the player switches itself off or pressing a pin into a small hole.

The player, can then be switched back on, and used as normal.

Original Poster

tamoil

You need to reset the player. You should check the user manual for a way … You need to reset the player. You should check the user manual for a way to reset the player. It's usually done by pressing and holding a combination of buttons until the player switches itself off or pressing a pin into a small hole.The player, can then be switched back on, and used as normal.

Thank you. There was nothing in the manual, but following your advice I put my glasses on, found a tiny hole on the side, poked a pin into it and it's fine now. :thumbsup:

Glad its working. I had some problems with some pics I put on. Couldn't view as they were too big, despite reducing quality considerably. Displays all pics taken by the built in camera without any issues.

Original Poster

5757alan

Glad its working. I had some problems with some pics I put on. Couldn't … Glad its working. I had some problems with some pics I put on. Couldn't view as they were too big, despite reducing quality considerably. Displays all pics taken by the built in camera without any issues.

I am finding that photos taken on a digital camera then transfered to the MP4 player are slow to display. It is automaticaly adjusting the size though. How do you reduce the quality?
    Pics taken by the built in camera are fine.
    My daughter is having great fun with the video camera. She videoed Dad snoring last night!
    :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tower Hill - Explosion reported..44
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767500
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17886407
      4. Bearded chat1224

See more discussions