Groups
    EXPIRED

cheap phone with hotspot functionality

I am after a handset which allows me to tether my tablet with it, i don't need a fancy phone so if anyone knows of one which will do the job at a low price then it will be appreciated.

13 Comments

Any cheap android phone

Unless you really need a phone, have you considered a MiFi device?

Original Poster

IamMT

Any cheap android phone

i was thinking that, but i bet its gonna lag like no mans business.

Original Poster

how are the lumbers anybody know?

Original Poster

krazykizza

Unless you really need a phone, have you considered a MiFi device?

how do they work?

TheMo123

i was thinking that, but i bet its gonna lag like no mans business.

If you are only transferring data through, were's it going to lag?

Original Poster

Argoj

If you are only transferring data through, were's it going to lag?

Fair point.
    hows this?........argos.co.uk/sta…htm

TheMo123

how do they work?

Not sure as never used one. But basically, you put in a SIM, and it broadcasts a wifi network for you to connect to.

TheMo123

Fair point. hows … Fair point. hows this?........http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2876892.htm

As that is running Android 4.2 should be fine.

TheMo123

how do they work?

You buy the Mifi unit, remove the back cover and insert a preloaded sim card (3 and EE have great deals from time to time) and turn it on.
    They produce a Wifi signal which you can connect to with anything wireless compatible, the code/password is generally under the cover and on a piece of paper in the box.
    They can either run from battery or be plugged in via usb (mains, laptop, car etc).
    Most of them can be unlocked for 99p so carrier doesn't matter too much.

I think I paid £25 for mine with a 1gb sim from virgin then switched to 3 at ~£5/1gb sim cards when they go on offer.
    Edited by: "joedastudd" 23rd Dec 2014

joedastudd

You buy the Mifi unit, remove the back cover and insert a preloaded sim … You buy the Mifi unit, remove the back cover and insert a preloaded sim card (3 and EE have great deals from time to time) and turn it on. They produce a Wifi signal which you can connect to with anything wireless compatible, the code/password is generally under the cover and on a piece of paper in the box.They can either run from battery or be plugged in via usb (mains, laptop, car etc).Most of them can be unlocked for 99p so carrier doesn't matter too much.I think I paid £25 for mine with a 1gb sim from virgin then switched to 3 at ~£5/1gb sim cards when they go on offer.

Basically what I said.

Original Poster

joedastudd

You buy the Mifi unit, remove the back cover and insert a preloaded sim … You buy the Mifi unit, remove the back cover and insert a preloaded sim card (3 and EE have great deals from time to time) and turn it on. They produce a Wifi signal which you can connect to with anything wireless compatible, the code/password is generally under the cover and on a piece of paper in the box.They can either run from battery or be plugged in via usb (mains, laptop, car etc).Most of them can be unlocked for 99p so carrier doesn't matter too much.I think I paid £25 for mine with a 1gb sim from virgin then switched to 3 at ~£5/1gb sim cards when they go on offer.

krazykizza

Basically what I said.

Can i just use the sim i would otherwise have in my phone?

TheMo123

Can i just use the sim i would otherwise have in my phone?

Yes. It's what I did in my 3G iPad
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767522
      2. Cheer me up please?1017
      3. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1631
      4. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News55

See more discussions