Cheap Printer Ink

Found 4th Aug
I am looking for recommendations for cheap printer ink and the best place to buy? Is it best to avoid these cheaper inks? Are they likely to leak? I have an Epson XP-700 that I use for general home printing. I purchased Epson 26 black ink as it was on offer, thinking that when the colours ran out I’d just keep printing B&W images. The printer will not let me when there is an expended cartridge installed. I really don’t want to pay £35+ for Epson cartridges that will rarely get used. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Community Updates
AskComputersPrinter
11 Comments
Have you thought about buying a HP printer? We got one and before your ink runs out they send you some more. Can't remember if it was an offer but we don't pay anything for the ink. I think we're just restricted on how many pages we can print
Free HP ink would be worth having (Unless of course you paid top whack for the printer). I've never had a heavier ink consumer than HP.

Which did a full review of compatibles and I went with the recommendation on a Brother inkjet. Works without any problem.
Compatible carts tend to dry up rather than leak, especially if the printer is used infrequently. Previous poster mentioned HP printer option of "Instant Ink", where that solution is effectively ongoing free ink direct from HP for low users (15 pages / month) or low cost for higher users, where most peeps would treat "low cost" as affordable eg. £1.99/m for 50ppm; £3.49/m for 100ppm. Printer must be connected to internet for the system to work (printer speaks to HP to request ink).
HP printers qualifying for i-i often start from £25 from the right places at the right time, often seen on HUKD. Example at time of this post of three HP all-in-one printers from £29.99 sold by Amazon itself all qualifying for the free i-i option, or with free 3 month higher page allowance: amazon.co.uk/dp/…V7H
HP i-i info page at instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en
Epson printers uses coloured ink with the black when printing black, they also use a small amount of each colour when switched on and for head cleaning.

I've used epson compatible cartridges from various suppliers including from ebay.

Ink colours are sometimes less accurate and the ink is usually more easy to smudge and less water resistant when dry. Cheap ink can be less lightly to cause a blocked nozzle, since it more readily redissolves. The cartridges don't have cleverly designed pressure regulation valves etc moulded into there cases so the print quality won't be quite as consistent.

Cheap ink cartridges don't usually leak, although you may occasionally get one that is poorly manufactured. If the cartridges you receive are poor quality, or under filled, or produce inaccurate colours try another supplier.

Sometimes they are under-filled, and run out before the chip on them says empty, which can cause a blockage that is difficult to clear. I used to weigh them to spot ones that were light (the compatible carts will be lighter than genuine Epson ones and black will be slightly heavier than the rest as black ink weighs more.

Some of the compatible cartridge chips automatically reset when empty (depends on printer model) which means you could inadvertently continue printing when they are empty which will cause a blockage and might eventually damage the printer so it won't print that colour properly. Remove cartridges and check the amount of ink in them if you think the ink level has reset so you don't run dry.

Compatible cartridge chips for some epson models have to be used in sets, and won't be recognised if you mix genuine and compatible carts. This is because on some printers the chip cloners have created a set of chips where one is the smart chip and the rest are dummy chips that trick the printer into talking to the single smart chip, I think usually in the black cartridge.

I currently use refillable cartridges in an epson PX720wd photo printer. The compatible cartridge chips for my particular printer model reset automatically and can't be reset manually which is a bit of a nuisance, so I weigh them occasionally and top them up if they are getting low.
Edited by: "melted" 4th Aug
Off topic but buy a cheap b&w laser for everyday printing. You can pick them up for around £25ish on offer. Ricoh do real cheap WiFi ones. The toner doesn't dry out either so it's a good cheap way of printing out coupons and statements etc. Bin the printer once the toner runs out and buy a new one.
melted4th Aug

Epson printers uses coloured ink with the black when printing black, they …Epson printers uses coloured ink with the black when printing black, they also use a small amount of each colour when switched on and for head cleaning.I've used epson compatible cartridges from various suppliers including from ebay.Ink colours are sometimes less accurate and the ink is usually more easy to smudge and less water resistant when dry. Cheap ink can be less lightly to cause a blocked nozzle, since it more readily redissolves. The cartridges don't have cleverly designed pressure regulation valves etc moulded into there cases so the print quality won't be quite as consistent. Cheap ink cartridges don't usually leak, although you may occasionally get one that is poorly manufactured. If the cartridges you receive are poor quality, or under filled, or produce inaccurate colours try another supplier. Sometimes they are under-filled, and run out before the chip on them says empty, which can cause a blockage that is difficult to clear. I used to weigh them to spot ones that were light (the compatible carts will be lighter than genuine Epson ones and black will be slightly heavier than the rest as black ink weighs more.Some of the compatible cartridge chips automatically reset when empty (depends on printer model) which means you could inadvertently continue printing when they are empty which will cause a blockage and might eventually damage the printer so it won't print that colour properly. Remove cartridges and check the amount of ink in them if you think the ink level has reset so you don't run dry.Compatible cartridge chips for some epson models have to be used in sets, and won't be recognised if you mix genuine and compatible carts. This is because on some printers the chip cloners have created a set of chips where one is the smart chip and the rest are dummy chips that trick the printer into talking to the single smart chip, I think usually in the black cartridge. I currently use refillable cartridges in an epson PX720wd photo printer. The compatible cartridge chips for my particular printer model reset automatically and can't be reset manually which is a bit of a nuisance, so I weigh them occasionally and top them up if they are getting low.

Thanks for your reply, very useful information
Thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately I’m not in the position to buy a new printer so just looking for cheap ink options for my current one which works fine when it has ink.
Hastie867 h, 14 m ago

Thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately I’m not in the position to b …Thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately I’m not in the position to buy a new printer so just looking for cheap ink options for my current one which works fine when it has ink.

If you could get a B&W laser printer for about £25 then yes you are. It will massively work out better in the long run.
Oneday7714 h, 31 m ago

If you could get a B&W laser printer for about £25 then yes you are. It …If you could get a B&W laser printer for about £25 then yes you are. It will massively work out better in the long run.

Besides that seeming like a very wasteful option, to throw away a whole printer once it’s used, I’m looking at multiple ink cartridges priced at less than half of that. My finances are extremely tight at the moment so that seems like the better option for me. Thanks anyway.
I used to use Think cartridges from Choice Stationery for all the printers I've had, much cheaper than the originals and just as reliable. A good offer on at the moment for your printer, 8 cartridges, 2 of each colour for £19.99 inc. delivery. They recycle them too, they send an envelope and you send them back free postage.

choicestationery.com/spe…tml
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 6th Aug
melted4th Aug

Epson printers uses coloured ink with the black when printing black, they …Epson printers uses coloured ink with the black when printing black, they also use a small amount of each colour when switched on and for head cleaning.I've used epson compatible cartridges from various suppliers including from ebay.Ink colours are sometimes less accurate and the ink is usually more easy to smudge and less water resistant when dry. Cheap ink can be less lightly to cause a blocked nozzle, since it more readily redissolves. The cartridges don't have cleverly designed pressure regulation valves etc moulded into there cases so the print quality won't be quite as consistent. Cheap ink cartridges don't usually leak, although you may occasionally get one that is poorly manufactured. If the cartridges you receive are poor quality, or under filled, or produce inaccurate colours try another supplier. Sometimes they are under-filled, and run out before the chip on them says empty, which can cause a blockage that is difficult to clear. I used to weigh them to spot ones that were light (the compatible carts will be lighter than genuine Epson ones and black will be slightly heavier than the rest as black ink weighs more.Some of the compatible cartridge chips automatically reset when empty (depends on printer model) which means you could inadvertently continue printing when they are empty which will cause a blockage and might eventually damage the printer so it won't print that colour properly. Remove cartridges and check the amount of ink in them if you think the ink level has reset so you don't run dry.Compatible cartridge chips for some epson models have to be used in sets, and won't be recognised if you mix genuine and compatible carts. This is because on some printers the chip cloners have created a set of chips where one is the smart chip and the rest are dummy chips that trick the printer into talking to the single smart chip, I think usually in the black cartridge. I currently use refillable cartridges in an epson PX720wd photo printer. The compatible cartridge chips for my particular printer model reset automatically and can't be reset manually which is a bit of a nuisance, so I weigh them occasionally and top them up if they are getting low.

Purchased some from Amazon from Office World...they seem to work without having to replace my official Epson black ink. Weighed them all and they’re all the exact same weight. So far so good.

Thanks to everyone that replied
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants