Expired

Cheap Reliable Memory Card For My Camera

7 replies
Found 4th Jan 2011
Just bought a nice new Panasonic Lumix FZ45 and we need a decent sized memory card (I believe its SDHC card) but I have no idea what I am looking for in terms of reliability and speed so does anyone have any recommendations or has anyone seen any cards going really cheap in the sales or with current discount codes?

We want a 16 or 32gig preferably please.

Thanks in advance.

7 Comments

Try play.com
Their own cards are decent condition. I use a 2gb one in my Nikon.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, thinking about it I reckon 16gb will suffice so we will probably go for the play.com one, unless anyone else knows a decent reliable budget card for cheaper than £14?

Also can anyone explain to me what the difference of Class is with these cards, and which are the best to go for for HD recording, pictures etc..?

Thanks
Edited by: "Bootcutboy" 4th Jan 2011

If you're doing a lot of HD Recording; you may aswell go for a 32GB IMO.

To help you find the right speed, SD/SDHC cards are broken down into four classes: Class 2, Class 4, Class 6 and Class 10. Class 2 cards offer a minimum sustained data rate of 2 megabytes per second (MBps), Class 4 of 4MBps and Class 6 of 6MBps and Class 10 of 10MBps. Depending on which manufacturer is selling the card, the speed class will either be prominently displayed or buried in the specs. Either way, look for it.

For standard definition camcorders, an SD/SDHC card with a Class 2 speed is all you would need. It’s fast enough to handle the highest quality standard definition video you can record. For high definition camcorders, you’re safest going with a Class 6 card. While you may be tempted to spring for a Class 10 card, you'll be paying for performance you don't need in a digital camcorder.

Original Poster

^Joe

If you're doing a lot of HD Recording; you may aswell go for a 32GB … If you're doing a lot of HD Recording; you may aswell go for a 32GB IMO.To help you find the right speed, SD/SDHC cards are broken down into four classes: Class 2, Class 4, Class 6 and Class 10. Class 2 cards offer a minimum sustained data rate of 2 megabytes per second (MBps), Class 4 of 4MBps and Class 6 of 6MBps and Class 10 of 10MBps. Depending on which manufacturer is selling the card, the speed class will either be prominently displayed or buried in the specs. Either way, look for it.For standard definition camcorders, an SD/SDHC card with a Class 2 speed is all you would need. It’s fast enough to handle the highest quality standard definition video you can record. For high definition camcorders, you’re safest going with a Class 6 card. While you may be tempted to spring for a Class 10 card, you'll be paying for performance you don't need in a digital camcorder.

Very helpful, thanks Joe!

Ordered a couple of these via play .com just b4 new year and got delivered today cheap as chips and in the sale which is still on so recommended

Original Poster

Great, I bought the 16gb for £13.99 from Play, thanks for all the help chaps!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4178
    2. Add one, leave one game54415459
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…51113
    4. saying of the day89412

See more discussions