Cheap router that supports VPN install

Found 28th Oct 2017
Afternoon all. Can anyone suggest a cheap router that I can use to set up a VPN connection on? Don't mind something second hand (Ebay etc). Ideally don't want to pay more than £20. I want it to sit in between my existing router and other devices so I can connect to internet via VPN on some devices but not all. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
If you want something cheap then a Draytek Vigor 2830 will probably be a good choice. They are superseded but do still receive the occasional firmware update (last update was September 2017).

Ebay link
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 28th Oct 2017
One option is to buy a cheap computer to act as a VPN server, e.g. RPi or repurpose an old computer.

If the router is not the 'gateway' router, you'll need to deal with port forwarding anyway and possible other complications.

If I was going the router VPN route, I would just get a decent one and make it the gateway device.

Also, check if your current router can support CFW like dd-wrt as this can act as a VPN server:
dd-wrt.com/wik…ces
Original Poster
SUMMONER31 m ago

If you want something cheap then a Draytek Vigor 2830 will probably be a …If you want something cheap then a Draytek Vigor 2830 will probably be a good choice. They are superseded but do still receive the occasional firmware update (last update was September 2017).Ebay link

Thanks for that. Will do a bit of research against these.
Original Poster
tech347533 m ago

One option is to buy a cheap computer to act as a VPN server, e.g. RPi or …One option is to buy a cheap computer to act as a VPN server, e.g. RPi or repurpose an old computer.If the router is not the 'gateway' router, you'll need to deal with port forwarding anyway and possible other complications.If I was going the router VPN route, I would just get a decent one and make it the gateway device.Also, check if your current router can support CFW like dd-wrt as this can act as a VPN server:https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Thanks. I may go down the pi route as I do have one lying around. Was just hoping for something relatively 'plug and play'. My 'main' router is a sky router so re-configuring that is a no go. I wanted to have two 'routes' out so I can just set certain devices (media) to use the vpn and everything else going out directly via the sky router.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions