Cheap SDS drill?

Found 16th Dec 2017
Ive come to install some blinds into a window recess and whilst drilling hit a very solid lintel which my standard drill and masonary bits is not touching. So looks like i need an SDS drill and drill bits but as i will rarely need to use it im looking to get the cheapest drill that will do the job. Anyone got any advice on a model to look out for?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments
Could it possibly be a steel lintel?
Screwfix. Toolstation or argos.. Really don't matter. Bought mine 10+ years and still going. Think I paid £45..
Original Poster
cuzzy35 m ago

Could it possibly be a steel lintel?

In all honesty i dont know or how to find out. It might just be concrete.
Original Poster
wayners24 m ago

Screwfix. Toolstation or argos.. Really don't matter. Bought mine 10+ …Screwfix. Toolstation or argos.. Really don't matter. Bought mine 10+ years and still going. Think I paid £45..

Cheers, what brand was that?
Screwfix Titan SDS drills are pretty good for the price and come with a few common drill bits as well
Original Poster
darlodge6 m ago

Screwfix Titan SDS drills are pretty good for the price and come with a …Screwfix Titan SDS drills are pretty good for the price and come with a few common drill bits as well

Cheers. Looks like theyve got a couple at £65 which when you factor in that i wouldnt need to buy extra drill bits thats pretty good.
You can feel and hear its metal. Try your current hammer drill but be gentle with trigger and pull on, off, on, off... Slower speed by tickling trigger may get you in if masonry.. maybe. Going flat out on hammer will burn out the drill end and get you nowhere... As for brand they are all badged up cheap stuff.. Go with any you can find you like the look off..
Edited by: "wayners" 16th Dec 2017
Original Poster
wayners3 m ago

You can feel and hear its metal. Try your current hammer drill but be …You can feel and hear its metal. Try your current hammer drill but be gentle with trigger and pull on, off, on, off... Slower speed by tickling trigger may get you in if masonry.. maybe. Going flat out on hammer will burn out the drill end and get you nowhere... As for brand they are all badged up cheap stuff.. Go with any you can find you like the look off..

If it is metal is there no chance of getting through even with an SDS drill and SDS bit?
What brand drill do you have?
If its cordless do they do an SDS bare unit, utilising your existing batteries..?

If not, I've used this one, and its fine for the DIY use, very light in comparison with others at only 2kg, less than £50 and comes with drill bits, even a good old SDS+ chuck!

machinemart.co.uk/p/c…ry/

32773779-n2gzW.jpg
32773779-peucf.jpg
I think I paid £45 for my 2KG Titan with about 3 drill bits and a chisel so see if they have any in store deals
Original Poster
andynicol13 m ago

What brand drill do you have? If its cordless do they do an SDS bare unit, …What brand drill do you have? If its cordless do they do an SDS bare unit, utilising your existing batteries..?If not, I've used this one, and its fine for the DIY use, very light in comparison with others at only 2kg, less than £50 and comes with drill bits, even a good old SDS+ chuck!https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-con400rhd-lightweight-400w-sds-rotary/[Image] [Image]

I do have a cordless bosch 18v but i think im going to need more power for this job. Ill take a look at that drill you've posted as its a decent price.
R2DEL219 m ago

I do have a cordless bosch 18v but i think im going to need more power for …I do have a cordless bosch 18v but i think im going to need more power for this job. Ill take a look at that drill you've posted as its a decent price.

Could get this for £49.99 from Argos, handy for removing plaster and tiles.
argos.co.uk/product/4533102

With 2 year guarantee.
Edited by: "shadey12" 16th Dec 2017
Just try a better drill bit.. You may find it works fine rather than buying a new drill.. I drill all sorts and rarely use the big sds unless I want to stick 15mm hole through a concrete wall or blocks. Most of the time I drill masonry with a 10.8 volt cordless.. This drill bit is brilliant and fine for a red plug.. Some use a 5.5mm if screws are narrow but I find the 6mm is ok. Worth a try and will fit both standard and sds chuck so future proof just incase you splash out on sds drill. I thinking you will find sds drill to powerful and heavy especially working vertical. Anyway.. Try this bit.. screwfix.com/p/dewalt-6-160mm-extreme-2-sds-plus-masonry-bit/77143?tc=GT1&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo30CcOwmmH6u6P1Nuk_Ek9NjmutqQS1t339ODKA7eDYjp37hX-W7wMRoC-JcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COXhq5qyj9gCFUs4GwodirwKdg
R2DEL22 h, 40 m ago

If it is metal is there no chance of getting through even with an SDS …If it is metal is there no chance of getting through even with an SDS drill and SDS bit?

No chance. Spend all day and nothing will happen.. It is obvious if you hit metal. Like skates on ice. You can see, feal and hear your not in masonry. It's a hard blunt drill tip on metal. You need a sharp edge metal drill to get through the steel.. Bits of steel metal will be coming out and you can feel you are drilling metal not masonry
R2DEL21 h, 49 m ago

I do have a cordless bosch 18v but i think im going to need more power for …I do have a cordless bosch 18v but i think im going to need more power for this job. Ill take a look at that drill you've posted as its a decent price.

Cordless Bosch SDS aren't cheap...

Re the one I've linked from Machine Mart, on further thought, you may want to consider one with 2 year guarantee (Clarke one is only 1 yr I believe), Wickes do one for £59.99, for very occasional use you do want something with the 2 yr warranty, keep the receipt as in 18 months time when you go to use it for the 2nd time it may just not work...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions