Cheap small kitchen complete makeover (temporary)

Posted 28th Sep
I am looking to do a complete makeover of our small kitchen and looking for cheap quotes, the kitchen is about 2.5m by 2.6m, so pretty small and will only need the essential like hob, few storage units, oven, sink.

Only looking for temp solution until we do a full refurb in few years time.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Can you just replace or paint the doors? I've done that. Also I believe you can get some excellent second hand kitchens on ebay. Another time I got an ex display kitchen for a fraction of the original price. It was nothing special but way better than what it replaced
psychobitchfromhell28/09/2019 17:28

Can you just replace or paint the doors? I've done that. Also I believe …Can you just replace or paint the doors? I've done that. Also I believe you can get some excellent second hand kitchens on ebay. Another time I got an ex display kitchen for a fraction of the original price. It was nothing special but way better than what it replaced

Yea, I can probably paint over existing doors and walls, just need to replace existing units as those are near unusable.
adamey1928/09/2019 17:31

Yea, I can probably paint over existing doors and walls, just need to …Yea, I can probably paint over existing doors and walls, just need to replace existing units as those are near unusable.

I'd certainly have a look on ebay. They can be really cheap. What you don't need given how small your kitchen is you could resell. If you're really strapped for cash you could roam the streets and find houses undergoing refurbishment. You never know what you could get or rescue from skips. I wish I'd known a month ago. I just chucked out a gas hob with only three months use. I couldn't give it away. You could have had that for free.
psychobitchfromhell28/09/2019 17:39

I'd certainly have a look on ebay. They can be really cheap. What you …I'd certainly have a look on ebay. They can be really cheap. What you don't need given how small your kitchen is you could resell. If you're really strapped for cash you could roam the streets and find houses undergoing refurbishment. You never know what you could get or rescue from skips. I wish I'd known a month ago. I just chucked out a gas hob with only three months use. I couldn't give it away. You could have had that for free.

Will certainly browse eBay and gumtree. Yea, not looking for anything fancy as we will be doing a complete refurb in few years time and just need something to last till then.

Ehh, yea could have done with that hob - hopefully I will find cheap one on Ebay or free one on Gumtree as NorthOfUtopia mentioned.
NorthOfUtopia28/09/2019 17:32

Comment deleted

That's exactly what I did. Bought the house brand new in October but hated the hob and sink which were very cheap and tatty. They were gone by february. You can't give them away. The sink and taps went to a nursery for their play kitchen
psychobitchfromhell28/09/2019 17:53

That's exactly what I did. Bought the house brand new in October but hated …That's exactly what I did. Bought the house brand new in October but hated the hob and sink which were very cheap and tatty. They were gone by february. You can't give them away. The sink and taps went to a nursery for their play kitchen

haha
adamey1928/09/2019 17:48

Will certainly browse eBay and gumtree. Yea, not looking for anything …Will certainly browse eBay and gumtree. Yea, not looking for anything fancy as we will be doing a complete refurb in few years time and just need something to last till then.Ehh, yea could have done with that hob - hopefully I will find cheap one on Ebay or free one on Gumtree as NorthOfUtopia mentioned.

I'm so annoyed. It sat in the garage for three years until I got rid last month. It was virtually brand new. New handles can jazz a kitchen up no end too.
Are you based in London by any chance? and yea just bad timings
adamey1928/09/2019 17:58

Are you based in London by any chance? and yea just bad timings

Yorkshire unfortunately. And I changed all the door handles but couldn't find anyone for the old handles either. They all went to recycling along with enough mosaic tiling to do all your back splash. I'm so sorry. I could've filled the back of my car with stuff and brought it all down for you along with flooring. I hate waste which is why it stayed there for so long. I'm not one for selling, I always try to find someone who could use the stuff. You could've had the lot delivered for a tank of diesel. Oh and paint too.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 28th Sep
adamey1928/09/2019 18:21

No need to feel guilty then

oh sorry about the edit then.
Toptrumpet28/09/2019 18:37

What about this idea? HUKD kitchen makeover

Looks good but the current units are very old and I think they be health issues using them like hob and sink. Probably can wrap or wallpaper doors and shelves though.
Check out your local freecycle groups. See a lot of decent kitchens offered on there - though you may have to dismantle them yourself.
Ringfinger28/09/2019 20:33

Check out your local freecycle groups. See a lot of decent kitchens …Check out your local freecycle groups. See a lot of decent kitchens offered on there - though you may have to dismantle them yourself.

Thanks, will take a look. Wasn't aware of this site
Cheap quote = horrible work = waste of money. Simple as that.
willllllllll29/09/2019 10:59

Cheap quote = horrible work = waste of money. Simple as that.

Agree, but since I will be getting a full refurb in about few years I don't want to spend a lot and only need something that is usable.
I had doors and drawers cut from MDF (used old door and draw front as template) and then painted them plus new handles. It looked fantastic, made such a difference to the kitchen and selling the property.
There was a guy on this thread who was on a tight budget and put in a very cheap kitchen from Ikea. He may be able to help.
Edited by: "PR0METHEUS" 29th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants