Cheap smart phone

Posted 29th Sep
Anyone know what is a cheap smartphone for a 13 year old?
Doesn't have to be flash or powerful. The more simple the better as I dont want her to be "addicted" to it. Just something that enables us to keep in touch mainly over WhatsApp.
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Depends on your budget, what's cheap for one person is extravagant for someone else.

Good phone at the moment is the Honor 8s, great reviews, good size screen and reasonable specs for £90-£100. You could go the secondhand route, though my take on it is 'someone is getting rid of it for a reason', and if it's someones 'end of contract phone' it will already used at least one year possibly two of it useful shelf life.
Not being funny but whatever phone you get will be addictive to them. It's not the phone that's addictive - it's what the phone does. If it's a smartphone then all the usual 'social' apps are what interests them. If they are not an issue, you could get a simple £5 phone from Sainsbury's with a bit of credit - job done. No frills dumbphone just for calling and texts. Something I know no 'peer-pressured' 13yr old is willing to live with of course...

So, how about something from the o2 refresh stable? Or maybe Music Magpie perhaps? They have plenty "very good" or "pristine" models available complete with warranty. You say "doesn't have to be flash or powerful" but is this YOUR view or your daughter/sons? I've never met a teen that doesn't want the most flash/power that a budget will allow! Hehe. So, what's yours?

You can get a usable phone for as little as a few pounds (my perfectly usable Pixi 4 cost £9.99) but without an idea of how much you are prepared to spend it's like the proverbial question of "how long is a piece of string." Does your 13yr old have a 'brand' preference? Is she leaning towards Android or Apple? What do their friends tend to use? This can all have a bearing on what you choose. Are you buying it or are they?

A quick 'idea' from Argos: argos.co.uk/pro…085 Sim-free, sub £40.

Drop a bit more info and perhaps people can give a more 'informed' response. Whatever you choose, be prepared for the 'shut away in the bedroom like a hermit' moments when they are "ON THE PHONE!!!!!!"

All the best, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 29th Sep
What counts as cheap for you?
Ringfinger29/09/2019 11:30

Depends on your budget, what's cheap for one person is extravagant for …Depends on your budget, what's cheap for one person is extravagant for someone else.Good phone at the moment is the Honor 8s, great reviews, good size screen and reasonable specs for £90-£100. You could go the secondhand route, though my take on it is 'someone is getting rid of it for a reason', and if it's someones 'end of contract phone' it will already used at least one year possibly two of it useful shelf life.

Yes I see your point. I suppose around the £40-50 mark.
Phsycronix29/09/2019 12:13

Not being funny but whatever phone you get will be addictive to them. It's …Not being funny but whatever phone you get will be addictive to them. It's not the phone that's addictive - it's what the phone does. If it's a smartphone then all the usual 'social' apps are what interests them. If they are not an issue, you could get a simple £5 phone from Sainsbury's with a bit of credit - job done. No frills dumbphone just for calling and texts. Something I know no 'peer-pressured' 13yr old is willing to live with of course...So, how about something from the o2 refresh stable? Or maybe Music Magpie perhaps? They have plenty "very good" or "pristine" models available complete with warranty. You say "doesn't have to be flash or powerful" but is this YOUR view or your daughter/sons? I've never met a teen that doesn't want the most flash/power that a budget will allow! Hehe. So, what's yours?You can get a usable phone for as little as a few pounds (my perfectly usable Pixi 4 cost £9.99) but without an idea of how much you are prepared to spend it's like the proverbial question of "how long is a piece of string." Does your 13yr old have a 'brand' preference? Is she leaning towards Android or Apple? What do their friends tend to use? This can all have a bearing on what you choose. Are you buying it or are they?A quick 'idea' from Argos: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1952085 Sim-free, sub £40.Drop a bit more info and perhaps people can give a more 'informed' response. Whatever you choose, be prepared for the 'shut away in the bedroom like a hermit' moments when they are "ON THE PHONE!!!!!!"All the best, Phsy.

Thank you for the informative response.
She's actually said she's not bothered about getting a phone and is not really bothered about other's views (including mine sometimes!).
My reasoning for something simple is that perhaps if it's not super powerful and fast but just enough to let me know she's finished from after school clubs and where (school has two sites), she hopefully won't become overly attached to it like her elder sister. We have a rule where they cant take the phones into their bedrooms from 5.30pm. Doesn't always work but at least I get to see them.
I actually like the Argis recommendation so might go with that.
Many thanks
t4r29/09/2019 22:36

Around theb£40-50 mark.

Personally I think smartphones under £150 are not great (still can be serviceable though) but phones under £80 are generally really bad.

For a brand new phone in your budget, perhaps a Nokia 1 Plus may be worth a look at. Could be worth waiting for the Huawei Y6 on O2 Like New to come back in stock, I think the refurbished phones will give you a far better choice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants