cheap smartphone with good battery

Found 19th Jan
I need a cheap phone as a gift for a friend in Asia (I will bring it to him). Main thing I guess is just to work reliably and have long battery life (because he might be at work from 8am to 6pm) and he needs to be contactable. He uses FB, would use Whatsapp, etc., and they all like selfies, but bad cameras are normal so it doesn't neeed to be anything fancy.

Er, around £50?
Community Updates
20 Comments
Banned
I guess your friend need Nokia 3310, cheap and can stand for long time
M-net power 1,
Just use mine for calls, charge it once a week, ok for selfies as same camera front and back (I think) 5mp
33096995-01Xkz.jpgPhoto of battery use on it.
Original Poster
5 A battery, wowzer, and £45? Does it work properly?
Seems like a good choice, I don't want to give him a better phone than his wife has as she will just end up taking his and giving him hers.
DOOGEE X5 MAX for £44 or X5 Max Pro for £60, drop shipped directly to his home address from the seller in China.

I have now setup 2 of the X5 Max Pro ones (double the RAM and storage) for friends and they have proven themselves as very good for the money. May be a bit on the chubby side, because of the easy to swap 4,000mAh battery.

The only negatives comments I have, when comparing it to my current £150 Moto X Pay, is that there will be no Android software updates for it, the in-built storage is noticeably slower when opening apps and the brick like design doesn't look or feel cool. There is also a fair chance that it, just like most cheap/generic phones, will come pre-loaded with some adware.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 19th Jan
dudedude1 h, 37 m ago

5 A battery, wowzer, and £45? Does it work properly? Seems like a good …5 A battery, wowzer, and £45? Does it work properly? Seems like a good choice, I don't want to give him a better phone than his wife has as she will just end up taking his and giving him hers.

Works fine, sat nav ok, I just use it on calls and sat nav and occasional browsing.
Just leave it in my pocket and forget about it.

Just noticed someone posted it as a deal (after my comment on this thread)
I bet it goes cold on the spec alone without anyone owning it.
Original Poster
SUMMONER4 h, 45 m ago

DOOGEE X5 MAX for £44 or X5 Max Pro for £60, drop shipped directly to his h …DOOGEE X5 MAX for £44 or X5 Max Pro for £60, drop shipped directly to his home address from the seller in China.I have now setup 2 of the X5 Max Pro ones (double the RAM and storage) for friends and they have proven themselves as very good for the money. May be a bit on the chubby side, because of the easy to swap 4,000mAh battery.The only negatives comments I have, when comparing it to my current £150 Moto X Pay, is that there will be no Android software updates for it, the in-built storage is noticeably slower when opening apps and the brick like design doesn't look or feel cool. There is also a fair chance that it, just like most cheap/generic phones, will come pre-loaded with some adware.

I'm going there on Tuesday, so I don't really want something from China, I need to give it to him in person.
dudedude8 m ago

I'm going there on Tuesday, so I don't really want something from China, I …I'm going there on Tuesday, so I don't really want something from China, I need to give it to him in person.

In that case it is £48 for the Doogee X5 Max or £70 for the Pro version with the extra RAM and storage.

Both ship to you directly from Amazon's own warehouse.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 20th Jan
Original Poster
SUMMONER2 m ago

In that case it is £48 for the Doogee X5 Max or £70 for the Pro version w …In that case it is £48 for the Doogee X5 Max or £70 for the Pro version with the extra RAM and storage.Both ship to you directly from Amazon's own warehouse.

is the x5 max better than the m-net power? the reviews on amazon are scary bad. tho the mnet power tbf doesn't really have any reviews. idk
Watch a review for the M-net Power 1 vs review of the Doogee X5 Max.

Both phones are UMTS/3G only, have the same processor, amount of RAM, storage and screen size.

The main differences are that the M-net Power 1 boasts a 5,000mAh battery, while X5 Max 'only' has a 4,000mAh battery. The M-net power 1 ships with Android 7 (Nougat), while the X5 Max will be forever stuck on Android 6 (Marshmallow).
The X5 Max has a fingerprint reader and a higher resolution rear camera, also that doesn't actually mean that it takes better pictures.

X5 Max Pro adds LTE/4G support, double the RAM and double the storage space.

I only used the X5 Max Pro myself, so can't speak for the others.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 20th Jan
Original Poster
yeah I saw the review thread I'm really just wanting whichever phone will be more durable/reliable, no point having a big battery if it crashes all the time.
I'd just get one of the cheap xiaomi's for around £60. Will be better supported and run better than anything else for the price. Probably a better battery than some junk running a mediatek chipset like the above as well.
dcx_badass12 m ago

I'd just get one of the cheap xiaomi's for around £60. Will be better …I'd just get one of the cheap xiaomi's for around £60. Will be better supported and run better than anything else for the price. Probably a better battery than some junk running a mediatek chipset like the above as well.

I know exactly nothing about Xiaomi phones, can you link to one that would fit the bill?
Original Poster
dcx_badass3 h, 44 m ago

I'd just get one of the cheap xiaomi's for around £60. Will be better …I'd just get one of the cheap xiaomi's for around £60. Will be better supported and run better than anything else for the price. Probably a better battery than some junk running a mediatek chipset like the above as well.

which one for that price? I have a xiaomi redmi note 4, which I bought over there, but it was more like £120.
shadey1216 h, 48 m ago

Just leave it in my pocket and forget about it.

Washing machine proof too then, fantastic.
dudedude17 h, 11 m ago

which one for that price? I have a xiaomi redmi note 4, which I bought …which one for that price? I have a xiaomi redmi note 4, which I bought over there, but it was more like £120.

SUMMONER20 h, 43 m ago

I know exactly nothing about Xiaomi phones, can you link to one that would …I know exactly nothing about Xiaomi phones, can you link to one that would fit the bill?

Redmi 4A/ Redmi 5A etc. can get them for £65 delivered to the UK, will be cheaper in Asia.
You can get a used OnePlus One, X or GS4 at £60-100 on eBay. By far better than the others listed above.
sAmeri1 h, 41 m ago

You can get a used OnePlus One, X or GS4 at £60-100 on eBay. By far better …You can get a used OnePlus One, X or GS4 at £60-100 on eBay. By far better than the others listed above.

Not for battery life even new, none of them will come close, nevermind with a few years old battery. Maybe better for speed although for general use you'll notice little difference anyway.
Original Poster
dcx_badass20th Jan

Redmi 4A/ Redmi 5A etc. can get them for £65 delivered to the UK, will be …Redmi 4A/ Redmi 5A etc. can get them for £65 delivered to the UK, will be cheaper in Asia.

redmi 4a is ~£70 there.
Edited by: "dudedude" 22nd Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants