Cheap way of dual display without a new gpu?

Posted 29th May
Hey guys so bit of a muddle.

I have a PC but only with one on board hdmi. I understand hdmi can't split unlike display port.

For the moment until I can get a gpu, are there any short term USB adapters that would work?

Specifically, ones that work with macos.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
"PC ... ones that work with macos."

Is it a Windows PC or a Mac (or do you have both)?

What type of USB ports do you have?
Edited by: "IamMT" 29th May
IamMT29/05/2020 10:53

"PC ... ones that work with macos."Is it a Windows PC or a Mac (or do you …"PC ... ones that work with macos."Is it a Windows PC or a Mac (or do you have both)?What type of USB ports do you have?

Mac has been a brand of PCs since the mid-2000s, Apple stopped using PPC a long time ago.

You can get USB graphics devices, they cost about £30. Although bandwidth restrictions on the USB port mean the quality and latency isn't quite perfect. They are a lot better on USB 3.0 than USB 2.0. They are sometimes advertised as adaptors or converters.

You can also get devices that present two monitors are one large one which work with an HDMI port. Matrox's DualHead2Go ME would be an example. They tend to be expensive though.

EDIT: If it's a new PC with Type C connectors for USB or Thunderbolt 3 then many support outputting DisplayPort over them.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 29th May
Bottom end graphics cards (under £30) are specifically made for this. Not sure how that would work on MacOS though. Have you set up a hackintosh?
IamMT29/05/2020 10:53

"PC ... ones that work with macos."Is it a Windows PC or a Mac (or do you …"PC ... ones that work with macos."Is it a Windows PC or a Mac (or do you have both)?What type of USB ports do you have?

I didn't want to mention it for potential legal reasons but its a Hackintosh.

I've got USB 3 - 3.1 and a Type-C connector but it seems the port can't be used for display due to how Gigabyte implemented the connector.
EndlessWaves29/05/2020 11:11

Mac has been a brand of PCs since the mid-2000s, Apple stopped using PPC a …Mac has been a brand of PCs since the mid-2000s, Apple stopped using PPC a long time ago. You can get USB graphics devices, they cost about £30. Although bandwidth restrictions on the USB port mean the quality and latency isn't quite perfect. They are a lot better on USB 3.0 than USB 2.0. They are sometimes advertised as adaptors or converters.You can also get devices that present two monitors are one large one which work with an HDMI port. Matrox's DualHead2Go ME would be an example. They tend to be expensive though.EDIT: If it's a new PC with Type C connectors for USB or Thunderbolt 3 then many support outputting DisplayPort over them.

It's got a C connector but I don't believe I can use it as a DP - maybe it's my adapter but when I plugged it in it didn't work and when searching for my mobo, apparently gigabyte didn't implement that functionality.
kristmace29/05/2020 11:21

Bottom end graphics cards (under £30) are specifically made for this. Not …Bottom end graphics cards (under £30) are specifically made for this. Not sure how that would work on MacOS though. Have you set up a hackintosh?

Exactly that - a Hackintosh.

I've seen a GT710 which has native MacOS drivers but it was whether I could get away buying a new card just for that.
M0nk3h29/05/2020 11:29

Exactly that - a Hackintosh.I've seen a GT710 which has native MacOS …Exactly that - a Hackintosh.I've seen a GT710 which has native MacOS drivers but it was whether I could get away buying a new card just for that.

GT710 is worth a punt for ~£20.

Hope the Hackintosh works out for you. I tried it years ago and it was such a ballache to keep running with I gave up.
kristmace29/05/2020 11:31

GT710 is worth a punt for ~£20. Hope the Hackintosh works out for you. I …GT710 is worth a punt for ~£20. Hope the Hackintosh works out for you. I tried it years ago and it was such a ballache to keep running with I gave up.

I've got the majority running, bar my RTX2080 which doesn't have drivers - hence my reliance on my iGPU.

I'd give it another shot as its changed massively since I last took a punt. There's OpenCore now and following the guide, I had a fully working machine.

If you're interested in trying it again, give us a shout and I can try and help you out

On another note, I think you're right. It's annoying it doesn't have two HDMI outs but it's an old card.
It's pretty bizzare for a modern system to have only one video output, which motherboard is it?
EndlessWaves29/05/2020 12:28

It's pretty bizzare for a modern system to have only one video output, …It's pretty bizzare for a modern system to have only one video output, which motherboard is it?

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO. I'm as confused as you are.
I would suggest if you're looking at staying with MacOS you use Radeon graphics cards rather than nvidia. Much better support for drivers.
alg29/05/2020 12:59

I would suggest if you're looking at staying with MacOS you use Radeon …I would suggest if you're looking at staying with MacOS you use Radeon graphics cards rather than nvidia. Much better support for drivers.

Indeed, I would do that but I'd fear I'd get little back from the amount I paid for my RTX2080.

The machine was originally built to just futureproof it to a point and AMD didn't really have anything substantial at the time.

My 650w PSU wouldn't have the strength to power two, high end cards so I was just looking at a GT710 (A native supported card with Apple drivers) just to power my second display.

At max, the 710 will only draw 19w.
M0nk3h29/05/2020 13:28

Indeed, I would do that but I'd fear I'd get little back from the amount I …Indeed, I would do that but I'd fear I'd get little back from the amount I paid for my RTX2080.The machine was originally built to just futureproof it to a point and AMD didn't really have anything substantial at the time.My 650w PSU wouldn't have the strength to power two, high end cards so I was just looking at a GT710 (A native supported card with Apple drivers) just to power my second display.At max, the 710 will only draw 19w.

I get that - I've got an old 710 or 720 upstairs. But my main machine is a linux box, and AMD cards are now supported from the kernel and MESA packages, so the move away from the 1050 I had made sense.
Can you use chromecast and chrome web browser to cast a web browser (which can open many file types) whilst using the hdmi to another display
Post a comment
@
    Text