Cheap way of getting Facetime

Posted 20th Mar
Hi all,

Now that schools have finished, my girls (@ primary and 1 moving to secondary in sept) will struggle to see their mates. Apparently other kids use facetime quite a bit out of school but we have no Apple products in the house. Do you have any ideas of a cheap suitable way of getting them on Facetime so they don't miss out? There is no need for anything snazzy, they are too young for phones and i am in no place to get them expensive new models. Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers,
Simon
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
As far as I’m aware FaceTime is only on Apple. What about WhatsApp ? They have similar live video features. It’s hard to suggest as you don’t state what products you have
Edited by: "discozohan" 20th Mar
FaceTime is Apple devices only, could use WhatsApp as mentioned above or try and get a cheap iPod touch
discozohan20/03/2020 21:36

As far as I’m aware FaceTime is only on Apple. What about WhatsApp ? They h …As far as I’m aware FaceTime is only on Apple. What about WhatsApp ? They have similar live video features

That would be ideal but the chance of convincing a bunch of primary kids / parents to go to something different is slim. Hopefully someone might be able to point me to a cheap apple product that would do the job.
get their friends to communicate with them on whatsapp.
otherwise look for a cheap ipad.
Agree Whatsapp is a better Idea and you don't need to pay for an over priced Apple offering. Whatsapp is free to use if you have wifi.
You could try a old iPod with FaceTime they have them on music magpie for around £29.99 delivered or search on eBay which would probably be even cheaper.

40150383.jpg
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 20th Mar
The Itouch seems a great idea which i didn't know. Thank you! Plus thanks for the other ideas on Whatsapp. I would certainly go for this if the others would download it but i get the impression they are all set in their ways with Facetime.

Thanks all!
iamdes20/03/2020 21:47

The Itouch seems a great idea which i didn't know. Thank you! Plus thanks …The Itouch seems a great idea which i didn't know. Thank you! Plus thanks for the other ideas on Whatsapp. I would certainly go for this if the others would download it but i get the impression they are all set in their ways with Facetime.Thanks all!

i am sure if you sent a message to their friends and say that they really want to stay in touch but they don't have apple products and you can't afford to buy them, everyone will soon download WhatsApp.

The Itouch seems a great idea which i didn't know. Thank you! Plus thanks …The Itouch seems a great idea which i didn't know. Thank you! Plus thanks for the other ideas on Whatsapp. I would certainly go for this if the others would download it but i get the impression they are all set in their ways with Facetime.Thanks all!

If they’ve got phones it almost certain they got WhatsApp
iamdes20/03/2020 21:39

That would be ideal but the chance of convincing a bunch of primary kids / …That would be ideal but the chance of convincing a bunch of primary kids / parents to go to something different is slim. Hopefully someone might be able to point me to a cheap apple product that would do the job.

It’s highly likely if they’re using iPhones they will have WhatsApp installed.
Might be a no go, but....

Google Duo is another good alternative (if they can be considered). It can be used in app form on iOS or Android and also through the browser on a PC/laptop/Chromebook etc. I find the quality a lot better than WhatsApp for video calls. You can group call with up to 8 people rather than 4 people on WhatsApp (but I think FaceTime is 32!).

* iOS App - apps.apple.com/us/…571

* Android App - play.google.com/sto…_GB

* Web - duo.google.com/

Good luck.
Edited by: "morgie" 21st Mar
Just done a 4 way video call via WhatsApp
(max users is 4), works great were thinking of family activities like film reviews etc
WhatsApp is a lot more popular than Facetime, save your money, don't buy an additional devices and use Whatsapp.

If you buy an old Apple device you run the risk of it not getting updates due to its age.
What about skype?
Candystore21/03/2020 10:30

WhatsApp is a lot more popular than Facetime, save your money, don't buy …WhatsApp is a lot more popular than Facetime, save your money, don't buy an additional devices and use Whatsapp.If you buy an old Apple device you run the risk of it not getting updates due to its age.

Sub-£30 for an iplop seems a reasonable price to experience and promote the inconvenience of a closed ecosystem.

As morgie said above Google Duo is the way to go - the best and most common cross-platform video messaging app/program - totally free - no need to buy any extra hardware over and above what you have.
Alternatively, learn semaphore and set up a local network - much more fun.
Arto21/03/2020 14:48

Comment deleted

Google Duo is cross-platform. Android,iOS or via Chrome Browser on PC/Laptop/Tablet.

duo.google.com/about/
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 21st Mar
Arto21/03/2020 14:48

Comment deleted

Sorry but you are wrong. As I said it is cross-platform - works on Android, Apple. and all browsers in Windows or Linux.
duo.google.com/about/
But I do agree everyone chatting (yes it is not only for 2 people) must be using Duo.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants