Cheaper Alternative for apple I Mac

Posted 24th Oct
I’m a graphic destudent and need a desktop at home for freelance work using adobe cc programs, I use iMacs at uni but I don’t really want to pay for a new one as it’s expensive for a student. if there is a cheaper but on par level computer that can run adobe programs such as photoshop, In design and illustrator quite sufficiently that anyone would recommend or suggest looking into I would appreciate it. if apple is the undisputed best I’ll just spend the extra, but rather see my options first. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
What's your budget first of all?

Most if not all computers will run those programs quite well, but you may prefer to stick to Mac OS for continuity. Is a second hand Mac or Mac Mini an option?
Adobe CC programs aren't particularly demanding.
Anything with say an Intel Core i/3/5/7 processor 4th Gen or later, with a SSD and 16GB RAM will run well.
My rule of thumb is always go for a processor that is of the most recent generation ie 2019, the newest i3 can beat an older i5. Once you’re familiar with the processor names, go hunt for a bargain on eBay. 8gb ram minimum is good. Can stick another ram card in if needs be later. SSD is a must these days.
PC screen, that’s preference, go to a shop and do some market research, then hunt around for a bargain.
Edited by: "Jelly.Bean" 24th Oct
Jelly.Bean24/10/2019 18:21

My rule of thumb is always go for a processor that is of the most recent …My rule of thumb is always go for a processor that is of the most recent generation ie 2019, the newest i3 can beat an older i5. Once you’re familiar with the processor names, go hunt for a bargain on eBay. 8gb ram minimum is good. Can stick another ram card in if needs be later. SSD is a must these days.PC screen, that’s preference, go to a shop and do some market research, then hunt around for a bargain.

Thanks for your advice!, I’ll look around. honestly don’t know enough about the ins and outs of computers so you really helped
Ambtom24/10/2019 18:29

Thanks for your advice!, I’ll look around. honestly don’t know enough abo …Thanks for your advice!, I’ll look around. honestly don’t know enough about the ins and outs of computers so you really helped

Welcome. On eBay you ideally want to look for something new or nearly new that’s still in warranty. People get into unfortunate situations that mean bargain prices.
Probably a surface pro 6.
look for good brands like Lenovo, dell and HP. Compare prices to websites like amazon, laptops direct, ebuyer, curries/pc world, ariapc
Edited by: "Jelly.Bean" 24th Oct
The big question is whether it has to be an all in one or whether you're open to having a seperate monitor and (small) PC?
Jelly.Bean24/10/2019 18:38

look for good brands like Lenovo, dell and HP. Compare prices to websites …look for good brands like Lenovo, dell and HP. Compare prices to websites like amazon, laptops direct, ebuyer, curries/pc world, ariapc

I Always compare prices and product performancewhen I buy pretty much anything lol, why settle when you can have the same product for less
EndlessWaves24/10/2019 18:46

The big question is whether it has to be an all in one or whether you're …The big question is whether it has to be an all in one or whether you're open to having a seperate monitor and (small) PC?

I would prefer all in one but am open to having a separate monitor
Edited by: "Ambtom" 24th Oct
I’d say having been asked to look for one in the past, all in ones are not value for money as they usually contain older tech at the affordable price range.
Personally I'd look to buy a used iMac seeing as you use them at Uni and are a graphic design student.
Haircut_10024/10/2019 18:49

Personally I'd look to buy a used iMac seeing as you use them at Uni and …Personally I'd look to buy a used iMac seeing as you use them at Uni and are a graphic design student.

Jelly.Bean24/10/2019 18:49

I’d say having been asked to look for one in the past, all in ones are not …I’d say having been asked to look for one in the past, all in ones are not value for money as they usually contain older tech at the affordable price range.

So would you say out of all in ones macs are the best way to go then?
If you’re going to spend £600+ then I’d say so, otherwise for £500-600 you’d get a 2019 i3/ 2018 i5 mini pc with a separate high res 27” screen.
i have an MacBook air, 2013 model. dual core i7 and 8gb ram with ssd.
its fast, even with the latest updates.
have a look at a used one with loads of ram
peabrain24/10/2019 19:00

i have an MacBook air, 2013 model. dual core i7 and 8gb ram with ssd.its …i have an MacBook air, 2013 model. dual core i7 and 8gb ram with ssd.its fast, even with the latest updates.have a look at a used one with loads of ram

Jelly.Bean24/10/2019 18:58

If you’re going to spend £600+ then I’d say so, otherwise for £500-600 you’ …If you’re going to spend £600+ then I’d say so, otherwise for £500-600 you’d get a 2019 i3/ 2018 i5 mini pc with a separate high res 27” screen.

seems more logical to get a Mac for what I need a computer for after looking though the options thanks for your help
I think as a student you can get 10% off a new Mac. You can also get Adobe suite discounted whilst you are a student. You will need your student card for both discounts. Photoshop will work fine on a PC as well as Mac, it’s personal preference and budget but most design agencies are predominately Mac.
jbecker24/10/2019 19:33

I think as a student you can get 10% off a new Mac. You can also get …I think as a student you can get 10% off a new Mac. You can also get Adobe suite discounted whilst you are a student. You will need your student card for both discounts. Photoshop will work fine on a PC as well as Mac, it’s personal preference and budget but most design agencies are predominately Mac.

Yeah this was why I was aiming to get a Mac because I’m used to working on them now and I looked up the adobe cc prices which are stupidly expensive and can get a student discount for a year then it will be full price at £50 a month
Ambtom24/10/2019 19:41

Yeah this was why I was aiming to get a Mac because I’m used to working on …Yeah this was why I was aiming to get a Mac because I’m used to working on them now and I looked up the adobe cc prices which are stupidly expensive and can get a student discount for a year then it will be full price at £50 a month

I think you’re entitled to the discount whilst you’re in education. Hopefully once you’ve finished you’ll either be earning enough to pay the painful £50 a month, or you’ll be working for someone who pays it for you.
I’m debating selling my late 2012, 27” iMac, 24GB RAM & 256GB SSD. If interested, let me know!
jbecker24/10/2019 19:45

I think you’re entitled to the discount whilst you’re in education. Hop …I think you’re entitled to the discount whilst you’re in education. Hopefully once you’ve finished you’ll either be earning enough to pay the painful £50 a month, or you’ll be working for someone who pays it for you.

I hope so lol, I’m in my second year and am gonna use the Mac for freelance while I’m studying to get experience so I should get enough to pay it each month after this year thanks for your input
I have the full Adobe suite and pay less than £20 a month for it. I'm not a student but I did use my sister's discount initially, that expired when she left uni 2 years ago but I still get a cheaper deal than they advertise online. Once you're no longer in education they seem fairly keen to keep you still.

Also, make sure to take into account where you'll be using the machine. Both myself and my husband did graphic design at uni, I had a MacBook and he had a desktop pc. Our uni was really funny about us not being allowed to leave the studio while classes were still technically on, meaning that unless he bought his pc Photoshop/InDesign etc files in every day my husband often sat there twiddling his thumbs because the work he needed to get on with was at home. A desktop machine would definitely be more powerful but you lose all portability.

If you do definitely want to go down the desktop route something like the iMac above will still work well for Adobe programs (I have the same model but with less RAM and it still runs Photoshop and InDesign with no issue at all).
Kurando24/10/2019 20:29

I have the full Adobe suite and pay less than £20 a month for it. I'm not …I have the full Adobe suite and pay less than £20 a month for it. I'm not a student but I did use my sister's discount initially, that expired when she left uni 2 years ago but I still get a cheaper deal than they advertise online. Once you're no longer in education they seem fairly keen to keep you still. Also, make sure to take into account where you'll be using the machine. Both myself and my husband did graphic design at uni, I had a MacBook and he had a desktop pc. Our uni was really funny about us not being allowed to leave the studio while classes were still technically on, meaning that unless he bought his pc Photoshop/InDesign etc files in every day my husband often sat there twiddling his thumbs because the work he needed to get on with was at home. A desktop machine would definitely be more powerful but you lose all portability. If you do definitely want to go down the desktop route something like the iMac above will still work well for Adobe programs (I have the same model but with less RAM and it still runs Photoshop and InDesign with no issue at all).

Thanks for your advice, my uni is much more flexible about leaving the studio so I just put all my work on my hard drive and bring that everyday so I was thinking that having a desktop at home would provide a bigger work area with the screen size and would be able to run programs better

I also go on the bus so I’d be quite paranoid if I brought a £1000 MacBook everyday lol how do you get the cheaper deal after education, just phone them up?
Just renew through the website.
Second hand mac.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants