Cheaper alternative to GoPro?

Found 2nd Feb
Hiya fellow HUKDers. May I ask if any of you have any experience, knowledge or advice about cheaper alternatives of a GoPro please? My daughter is after one and she's asked me the technophobe dad to source her something. After similar functions etc but not costing so much. Many thanks in advance for any replies and have a good weekend.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments
We bought youngest daughters boyfriend one of these for Christmas amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1 .... Works just as you'd expect it to, quality is excellent when viewed on a 49" screen, I personally only used to use GoPro's but have a couple of the cheaper alternatives as well and they're just as good as my HD Hero & Hero3 ... See if you can tell the difference between the HD Hero & a £30 odd alternative, both vids are the same race (Remember these are reduced massively in quality for Youtube!)

Original Poster
virgil4750 m ago

We bought youngest daughters boyfriend one of these for Christmas …We bought youngest daughters boyfriend one of these for Christmas https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076DR3WLS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1 .... Works just as you'd expect it to, quality is excellent when viewed on a 49" screen, I personally only used to use GoPro's but have a couple of the cheaper alternatives as well and they're just as good as my HD Hero & Hero3 ... See if you can tell the difference between the HD Hero & a £30 odd alternative, both vids are the same race (Remember these are reduced massively in quality for Youtube!)[Video] [Video]

Thanks so much for taking your time and effort replying with such an informed and helpful response.
Don't get Generic junk, get the Xiaomi Yi camera from amazon, it's fantastic, I've had one for a few years and it's better than most, especially at the current prices. Normally £50 but often down to £30, can connect to your phone as well and tons of accessories. They do a newer 4k version for under £100 as well.

You only have to be on the site for seconds to see the positive feedback for xiaomi stuff.
I completely agree with the above.

I got my original yi for £54 when it first came out. It's a great camera and I then upgraded to a Gopro hero 4 black. Which of course is leaps and bounds above but at 5 times the cost, I would've stuck with the Yi and kept the difference or gone for a YI 4k at around £80-100.

Here is 3 clips of my Yi from the other year. The ones without sounds are recorded 720p 120 FPS (doesn't record sound at this setting).

Edited by: "kos1c" 2nd Feb
virgil475 h, 17 m ago

We bought youngest daughters boyfriend one of these for Christmas …We bought youngest daughters boyfriend one of these for Christmas https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076DR3WLS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1 .... Works just as you'd expect it to, quality is excellent when viewed on a 49" screen, I personally only used to use GoPro's but have a couple of the cheaper alternatives as well and they're just as good as my HD Hero & Hero3 ... See if you can tell the difference between the HD Hero & a £30 odd alternative, both vids are the same race (Remember these are reduced massively in quality for Youtube!)[Video] [Video]

Is the cheap camera the one on the back?
ScubaDudes5 h, 32 m ago

Is the cheap camera the one on the back?

I'd agree with your assumption (you can change the video playback resolutions etc by clicking the wrench)

That said we need more info - what will it be used for? where? and when?

And
The GoPro is £200+
The cheap generic GoPro equivalent is £30

Now if you are going to be using the camera to become a youtube blogger with millions of subscribers and weekly updates I'd probably go for the GoPro

But if it's the occasional weekend go-karting/quadding/cycling to upload for family to view then £30 cheapo would be the best option especially if you are buying for a kid. Who wants their kid running up to them having had their GoPro stolen?
Edited by: "philphil61" 3rd Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants