Expired

Cheaper fees for baggage/allocated seats via Ryanair app (only AFTER you have booked)

Found 26th Sep 2014
Just thought I'd share a tip: if you book with Ryanair and don't take their baggage or allocated seats when booking, and later you decide to add them at a later time, Ryanair charges you the maximum (ie premium fee) for the service.

However, if you do this via their app, they do not increase their fees, done at anytime.
itunes.apple.com/gb/…602?
Community Updates
34 Comments
Hi can you just explain this a bit further if i say book a flight thats about 2 hours long theres normally a £10 charge for a seat that i want normally with extra leg room etc at the front.How by booking the seat later on the app are you saying it is cheaper than £10
Original Poster
I tried the baggage; at the booking time it asked for £15 but after booking it asked for £20. But with the app it is asking the same £15 (Stansted to Malaga).
This has been also explained at *** at the bottom of the below page: '***Higher prices apply if purchased through Manage Booking'

ryanair.com/en/…es/
Titanium

I tried the baggage; at the booking time it asked for £15 but after … I tried the baggage; at the booking time it asked for £15 but after booking it asked for £20. But with the app it is asking the same £15 (Stansted to Malaga).This has been also explained at *** at the bottom of the below page: '***Higher prices apply if purchased through Manage Booking'http://www.ryanair.com/en/fees/

So what about seats are they cheaper on the app or dont you know
When we flew back from Portugal, priority boarding was £10 each through Ryanair - do it at the airport and it's €4 for adults and €2 for kids...
miikeyblue

When we flew back from Portugal, priority boarding was £10 each through … When we flew back from Portugal, priority boarding was £10 each through Ryanair - do it at the airport and it's €4 for adults and €2 for kids...

Yes but that doesnt include a seat of your choice thats why i always book my favourite seat
archer1204

Yes but that doesnt include a seat of your choice thats why i always book … Yes but that doesnt include a seat of your choice thats why i always book my favourite seat

never fails to make me laugh at the airport when you see the p i keys who won't pay for extra legroom or pre booked seating getting aggressive because they aren't sat together
trimm trab

never fails to make me laugh at the airport when you see the p i keys who … never fails to make me laugh at the airport when you see the p i keys who won't pay for extra legroom or pre booked seating getting aggressive because they aren't sat together

Who you calling a 3.14 key?!
I relish not sitting together with my boys, as they are selfish gets who expect me to pay for everything! If I'm up the other end of the plane, happy peaceful days and I've saved a couple of squid?
What's not to like!!!
a 3.14 key havn't heard that term in ages

Who you calling a 3.14 key?!
I relish not sitting together with my boys, as they are selfish gets who expect me to pay for everything! If I'm up the other end of the plane, happy peaceful days and I've saved a couple of squid?
What's not to like!!![/quote]
So you're the exact reason why airlines are now allowing mobile phones to be used inflight, so that loved ones that are not seated together can now call eachother and ask what you're doing?/can I buy a drink etc...
Is this not just the online prices -v- paying at the airport? I am not sure what I am missing, I just downloaded the app and selected the same flights as a booking i was also doing online. The fees were the same?
wait I think I understand what your saying now...

However, if you do this via their app, they do not increase their fees, done at anytime.

the fees rarely increase anyway so just wondering how you know this??
SunshineStacey

wait I think I understand what your saying now...However, if you do this … wait I think I understand what your saying now...However, if you do this via their app, they do not increase their fees, done at anytime.the fees rarely increase anyway so just wondering how you know this??

I am still awaiting the answer if you book a seat with extra legroom is it cheaper on the app than on the website
archer1204

I am still awaiting the answer if you book a seat with extra legroom is … I am still awaiting the answer if you book a seat with extra legroom is it cheaper on the app than on the website

no I just tested that the fees are exactly the same.

It took me a while to work out what this was about.

I have narrowed it down to being....

If you do not book extras at the time of the booking Ryanair state "there is a chance they may increase if added on via manage my booking".

this post says that the price will never increase if you do it via the app.

I think ryanair are only covering their back for fee increases with that statement and I cannot see anything that says...."We never increase our fees if using the app"
Edited by: "SunshineStacey" 27th Sep 2014
SunshineStacey

no I just tested that the fees are exactly the same.It took me a while to … no I just tested that the fees are exactly the same.It took me a while to work out what this was about.I have narrowed it down to being....If you do not book extras at the time of the booking Ryanair state "there is a chance they may increase if added on via manage my booking".this post says that the price will never increase if you do it via the app.I think ryanair are only covering their back for fee increases with that statement and I cannot see anything that says...."We never increase our fees if using the app"

Stacey the comment was aimed at the op i am still waiting for the answer
Original Poster
archer1204

So what about seats are they cheaper on the app or dont you know

Couldn't try it I'm afraid. as I've already checked in before I come to such realization! And after I checked in, even when I was randomly assigned with a seat, it doesn't let me pay and choose a seat of my choice afterwards.
Original Poster
SunshineStacey

no I just tested that the fees are exactly the same.It took me a while to … no I just tested that the fees are exactly the same.It took me a while to work out what this was about.I have narrowed it down to being....If you do not book extras at the time of the booking Ryanair state "there is a chance they may increase if added on via manage my booking".this post says that the price will never increase if you do it via the app.I think ryanair are only covering their back for fee increases with that statement and I cannot see anything that says...."We never increase our fees if using the app"

I could only test it for checked-in baggage, when I tried to add them AFTER I booked my flight. It could be just for checked-in baggage and not for others.

That said, while chatting with a Ryaiair the other day, I asked 'will I be given the option of choosing a particular seat AFTER I have been randomly assigned a seat', and the response was 'yes, but a premium fee would be applicable'. But when I tried that, it didn't let me, both with app and ryanair.com.
Titanium

I could only test it for checked-in baggage, when I tried to add them … I could only test it for checked-in baggage, when I tried to add them AFTER I booked my flight. It could be just for checked-in baggage and not for others.That said, while chatting with a Ryaiair the other day, I asked 'will I be given the option of choosing a particular seat AFTER I have been randomly assigned a seat', and the response was 'yes, but a premium fee would be applicable'. But when I tried that, it didn't let me, both with app and ryanair.com.

Cheers for clearing that up
Toptrumpet

Who you calling a 3.14 key?! I relish not sitting together with my boys, … Who you calling a 3.14 key?! I relish not sitting together with my boys, as they are selfish gets who expect me to pay for everything! If I'm up the other end of the plane, happy peaceful days and I've saved a couple of squid?What's not to like!!!

So you're the exact reason why airlines are now allowing mobile phones to be used inflight, so that loved ones that are not seated together can now call eachother and ask what you're doing?/can I buy a drink etc...[/quote]

Don't agree with using phones on a plane.
I like the fact that I am unreachable, the phone is there for my convenience, I don't see why a plane full of holiday makers need to be in their phones? You're on holiday, have a rest!

If you're in business, then I'm sorry, but no-one is that important that they have to be reached wherever they may be.
If you think you are, sorry to disappoint but the world will still be turning whether you are reachable or not.
To add my bag on the website was £50 return, on the app £40.00. Still excessive but thank you for the tip!
This worked for us. £40 for 15/Kg bag return instead of £50
doesn't work
Just tried this method to add 1x 20kg bag. $60 on the website, $44 on the app. Worth it in my opinion. Thanks for the tip!

Has this worked for anybody? ?

This worked, thank god I spotted it before paying £110!!!! Instead it was £80....thank you
IT DOES WORK! JUST SAVED £20
THANKS
Not sure how to do this ...help
Works, just saved £20
So glad I found this!! £85 online, £65 on the app!! Madness! Such a good tip to know!
Hi I looked at this on the app the other day and it did show a reduced price of £35 each way. But tried again today when checking in and it has gone up to £50 each way. Any idea why this is and how I can get it at £35 per journey please?
Is this still working for people? I'm trying the app just not and not seeing any difference 😑
** RYANAIR: Adding bag to flight later, AFTER buying the flight
is now the SAME PRICE through the website or the App. **

So,
**There is NO DISCOUNT using the Ryanair App anymore
for adding baggage later, after booking. **

---

What a bummer.
Three things had me think their attitude had changed in recent years.

1. Popularity - but people don't mind the service much if they get cheap excursions.
(Hotels have got so expensive.)

2. The 2nd piece of hand luggage to go under the seat. Great for budget airlines.
But now limited to people paying for priority boarding - or maybe also buying a reserved seat (not sure about the second one).

3. ** It was the SAME PRICE to add a bag at any time before you fly if you use the app. **

That meant, if you had doubts about making dates or times, and the flight price is low, it wasn't much sweat - you just lose the basic flight price alone if you missed the flight.
Because of Ryanair's no cancellation policy, it was always a risk to pay for everything upfront and then not be able to fly.

But with the App bag add discount, you didn't have to add bags until you were sure you were going - up to a few hours before the flight left.

Last time I flew with Ryanair, I did this both ways. It was perfect - I did go and I had peace of mind of not losing much money if I couldn't go.
(It's always edge of seat for me...
I have neurological illnesses including chronic migraine - very frequent, disabling migraine. Also fatigue.)

So, neither Ryanair nor the press have mentioned removing the later bag add discount through the App.
Very, very sly indeed.
Why not?
I think we can guess.

I just booked return flights from Belfast to Bergamo. They were cheap, and because I thought there was still the App bag add discount, I paid extra for seat booking and priority boarding.
The flights were £23 each way, plus the extras, making £56 return,

I thought adding my 20kg bags later would cost £50 rtn.
Ryanair App isn't even supported on my new tablet!!!I
I found my old phone which has the App installed.

It's £40 each way to add bags now (in the App), a few days after I bought my flight.
£80 for bags on a return flight?

It did seem budget - £46 return without extras, or £96 with a bag.

But £30 extra because of Ryanair's stealth charge - removing the bag add discount...

... £126 return with just one bag.
(Actually £136 for me, as I added the booked seat and priority boarding, not thinking I would have to pay £30 extra for my bags.
I definitely would have left out the extra tenner or so if I'd known bags were £30 more.)

£136 with a single check-in bag (for quite low base flight prices) - it's hardly budget anymore, is it?

This loss of this bag add discount makes a huge difference.
Because of my conditions, I am going to have always to add bags after the booking.
I may lose £30 this way, guaranteed.
But I think it is better than losing everything if I can't go - what would be £136 in total for this, base low price, budget flight I booked.

Ok, £136 is probably still better than British Airways, but not much.

I wonder why Ryanair have to keep doing things like this. They're doing so well among customers.
Just over a billion profits last year - better than nearly any budget to lower middle market airline.

With the current scandal over just cancelling nearly half a million seats suddenly, Ryanair had better make themselves seem both sorry and caring and reasonable again.
Otherwise people will start switching to other European budget airlines, and going further afield than Europe with long haul budget carriers such as Norwegian.

Norwegian recent sales had UK to USA for around £80 each way recently, UK to Singapore for £150 return. Yes, you have to add bags there too, but they're around the same price as Ryanair short haul.
Wow Air (Iceland) in a sale were doing return from UK to California (Oakland) for £100!
Return - West coast!!!!
Yes, you have to add bags, and they're not cheap on Wow's UK to West Coast USA routes - you pay for a cabin bag as well - £30 cabin, £45 check-in bag, so add around £150 return for cabin plus main bag.
Still it was an amazing price for UK to West Coast USA with bags.

Though in Europe, with the rise of budget flight Apps (such as Yonder), people will be more choosy over where to buy their budget flights.
With an App doing the searching for you by cheapest price, it's no longer the easiest thing just to check Ryanair's site and then just go ahead and buy. (When the price seems to beat the prospect of an hour or two checking price comparisons manually.)

That is how Ryanair succeeds.
If budget flight search Apps get popular, they could change all that.
The trouble is airlines have to pay a large amount to the airport owners (or whoever) to put baggage in the hold and that's why you either pay for it or just take a cabin size bag and hope to take it on board with you or give it to a handler on the tarmac as you board.
When you check in a large suitcase you use the service of a check in agent (although you have to check in and scan the item yourself) then use the internal conveyor belt system to transport it through, then 2/3 handlers load it onto the wheeled suitcase cages and then 2 more handlers throw them onto the belt up to the plane hold where another handler neatly stacks them inside (hopefully). So that's roughly 7 people that touch each suitcase not forgetting the additional fuel that is then needed.
I agree that the prices of add ons are not displayed in large lettering when booking but these so called budget airlines were invented to cater for the frequent travellers that only had carry on luggage and just wanted to get from A-B without the need for luxury extras.
Only Ryanair fly my frequent route so I'm beholden to them, I never pay for extras and just ensure that my and the kids cases are full to exploding and within the weight limit by one ounce. I gladly hand my case in to go in the hold in on the tarmac rather than lugging it up the stairs and then frantically search for a space to put it.
Ryanair really do need a customer relations overhaul and pricing restructure, but until O'Leary is ousted we'll just have to accept to be shafted one way or another.
"The trouble is airlines have to pay a large amount to the airport owners (or whoever) to put baggage in the hold and that's why you either pay for it..."
--

Yes, Toptrumpet.
But this is no reason for why a checked bag for a ticket is £50 return at the time when you first book the flights (£25 each way);
but if you are not sure about bringing a bag at first, and add a checked bag to the booking the next day, the price has suddenly shot up to £80 (£40 each way).

I know Ryanair's flight prices can barely cover the basic government air taxes often, if they even do (they pay for some seats to extents themselves).
Ryanair's prices can be really amazing, and that is great.

It is the STEALTH charging tactics which I was complaining about.
One week you could use the Ryanair app, and adding a bag after booking was the same price as buying the checked bag when buying the ticket.

The next week, no clear mention of a change anywhere from Ryanair.
But this has been changed to an extra £30 charge return for the same checked bag, £80, if you add it the day after.

At the very least they could have told people. Stealth. And no reason.
It's the same bag. Both optoons booked online with no-one on a telephone to pay for.
Why £50 one day, but £80 the next - if you weren't sure about what you needed to bring originally?

I have booked flights since the one in my message above.
Edinburgh to Copenhagen - Ryanair.
Copenhagen to Edinburgh - Norwegian.
(Different operators just because of my dates.)

Ryanair - amazing one way price, actually reduced from when I first checked at £14.99 to £12.99. (Thank you Ryanair).
Very early booking, no other seats on the flight booked when I booked.

Norwegian - still a really pretty amazing one way price, at around £26.
(Thank you Norwegian.)
I'm prepared to sit in a middle seat because Norwegian's seat bookings are around £10 and more.

As I have to add bags after booking (because I can't rely on making the flight), a lot changes.
Ryanair - £40 one checked bag.
Norwegian - only £9 for the same checked bag.
And I can add the bag anytime with Norwegian, the price doesn't change.

The flight prices become £53, Ryanair, but only £35 Norwegian.
(These are good prices overall, and I am grateful to the budget airlines for allowing such affordable travel.)

I don't have a problem with Ryanair's £25 bag fee each way.
Actually, I have to wonder how Norwegian make money at all, at just £9 a bag - a big difference in price on a return flight between the two airlines - £50 Ryanair or £18 Norwegian - same bag, same point to point route.

But the stealthy way with Ryanair the same bag, booked online in advance a day after the original booking, climbs to £80 return, is annoying.

---

" that's why you either pay for it or just take a cabin size bag"

I absolutely agree, Toptrumpet, with the policy of charging extra for checked bags.
It isn't fair on the many people flying without a checked bag that they should pay the
same as those who fly with checked bags.

The people with checked bags make up a lot of the weight of the plane, so that's who the payments should come from - as well as payments for the extra airport loading fees, as you say.

I understand and agree with the system - just not the stealth charging and perhaps £80 each way is a bit much too.
Here, at those prices just for one bag, it's seems pretty clear to me the scenario has swung around the other way: - the people who DO bring a checked bag are paying for a lot of the cheapest seats of those who are flying hand luggage only.

Better to increase basic seat prices a little for all cheapest / cheaper seats than shove the cost of these onto people booking a bag (especially after the original ticket booking).

Do people flying (especially given how expensive budget hotels can be) really see much or any difference between a £22.99 basic ticket and a £12.99 basic ticket?
Are they really going to turn away from a booking for that slightly higher price?
I want to suggest a model of excluding families from basic flight price increases - there could be a discount basic seat price if you are booking 4 or more seats.

Worry free budget travel for solos or pairs can quickly turn into something other than budget for families, who anyway rely on the lower priced companies to be able to go anywhere.
Higher seat prices for solos and pairs, discounts for families is a great idea.
The trouble is Ryanair have changed their business model and expanded their list of destinations substantially from when they first entered the market. Originally they were flying to city destinations early mornings and departing early evenings aimed at the business traveller, however now they fly to 'exotic' holiday destinations such as Alicante they are marketing themselves at the holiday maker and subsequent family.
Personally I only travel with a small suitcase as I am lucky enough to have use of a place in Spain that I leave clothes in and therefore only need a small case for my larges, ketchup, pg tips and any other essentials.
To be fair to Ryanair, their website does flash up
  • As part of Always Getting Better, we’ve reduced our check-in bag fees and have increased the check-in bag allowance from 15kg to 20kg.
  • Bags are cheaper at the time of booking so remember to add a bag when booking your next flight.
But, I do agree that if you decide to add a case at a later date you shouldn't have to pay extra as it is a fixed cost.
Unless they've updated their website (I suspect not) you also cannot only pay for luggage one way only (you have to ring their premium rate line to do that)
Sometimes I also travel without my family and any family discounts I feel would be unfair on other customers, it's better just to keep all the prices the same. In fact I would be willing to pay more for adult only flights.
It just depends which type of passenger you are, being solo, doubles or families regarding seat prices, thinking about it, solo's should get the biggest discount because they are usually allocated the middle seats.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants