Cheapest 10bit HDR 4K TV?

Found 4th Nov 2017
What is the best model available for the cheapest price?

My Xbox One X is due to arrive in the next week or so and I finally need to upgrade my 2010 LG 42' to takle advantage of the new hardware.

HDR seems to be the feature people are creaming themselves over these days, its so bloody hard understanding the specification, especially when some say 8bit + FRC to make 10bit and I haven't the faintest idea what it means.

Does HDR even make that much of a difference?

Any advice would be grately welcomed

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

You'll need to tell is what price range your looking at...

Also hdr 10 is what you want ideally but hdr 8 is okay too.

Original Poster

Snakeyes6462 m ago

Also hdr 10 is what you want ideally but hdr 8 is okay too.

Sorry under £1k ideally below £800 though.

You need more than a 10 bit screen for HDR to work at a level were it makes a difference there is colour gamut,brightness and dimming all need to be at a certain level before HDR will be at a level where it works in the way it was intended,at your price point the only option would be to look for something from the 2016 Samsung KS range the cheapest option from this years TV's that ticks all the boxes is the Sony KD49XE90 but the price point for that set at the moment is around £1200 but i have an inkling that it may go lower in the next 6 weeks.

Original Poster

gazman09097019 m ago

You need more than a 10 bit screen for HDR to work at a level were it …You need more than a 10 bit screen for HDR to work at a level were it makes a difference there is colour gamut,brightness and dimming all need to be at a certain level before HDR will be at a level where it works in the way it was intended,at your price point the only option would be to look for something from the 2016 Samsung KS range the cheapest option from this years TV's that ticks all the boxes is the Sony KD49XE90 but the price point for that set at the moment is around £1200 but i have an inkling that it may go lower in the next 6 weeks.

UE49KS7000 going for £699 @ reliant direct......that model any good?

reliantdirect.co.uk/Tel…wcB

A good idea is to pop the model number in youtube search and watch video reviews, they normally go into good depth and will help you understand each TV more.

"especially when some say 8bit + FRC to make 10bit and I haven't the faintest idea what it means."

With regards to HDR, very little. I suspect people are equating HDR's 10-bit depth with a 10-bit LCD panel. That's a reasonable assumption for SDR, although you need to take colour gamut into account too.

HDR has a completely different definition of how bit depth maps to output, so the assumption is no longer valid. That's the PQ gamma curve for HDR10/Dolby Vision or HLG's equivalent.

The important hardware for HDR is the backlight rather than the LCD panel. You want a wide colour gamut, a good brightness range and a great local dimming system to apply that brightness.

Unless you want to try your luck with the remaining stock last year's KS series then you're looking at the Sony XE90 or Samsung Q7 as a reasonable starting point. They're not as spectacular as something more expensive with a higher brightness range and better control, but you will see some of the benefits.

ayeup11 h, 37 m ago

UE49KS7000 going for £699 @ reliant direct......that model any …UE49KS7000 going for £699 @ reliant direct......that model any good?http://www.reliantdirect.co.uk/Televisions/LED-Backlight-LCD/Samsung-UE49KS7000-Flat-SUHD-TV-With-Quantum-Dot-Display_UE49KS7000.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyvXPBRD-ARIsAIeQeoHRm8HsFSX49Rs6RPG7S-SG2Uh_LE0V1X-oQTWMWUqWosfu5oHVR-waAuekEALw_wcB

Yes it's an entry level UHD Premium Certified set so makes a minimum set requirement for HDR to work at a level that can be seen.

OP check out this link cnet.com/new…ed/

You need to weigh up if you want to be an early adopter on this tech or wait until it's more affordable and improved. I'll be waiting as I'd need to upgrade my AVR+BD player and the price is just nuts for a decent sized QLED and OLED set.

You can quick check to see if your TV is on there but sometimes sets from different regions vary in specs.

Not very well updated list
uhdalliance.org/tv/
Edited by: "kester76" 4th Nov 2017

whathifi.com/adv…-it

I don't think Sony use the certification on their sets even though they're a member
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions