cheapest broadband only in England?

im looking for the cheapest broadband service in england. this doesn't have to be the highest speed, as long as it is around 10mbps. I'm happy with that.

My exchange is about 1.2miles away. I'm paying far too much with VM atm and getting their 70mbps.

22 Comments

Original Poster

anyone had any experience with mobile broadband?

Is Scottish/Welsh and NI broadband no good?

Original Poster

moob

Is Scottish/Welsh and NI broadband no good?

lol, i was being specific incase there were any broadbands deals specific to england mate thats all

Go for Talktalk or sky great deals at the moment however they include calls

Talktalk is a load of tosh, avoid at all costs. SSE throttle. Sky used to have a really good deal including cashback, have a look at that.

Original Poster

dealer221

Go for Talktalk or sky great deals at the moment however they include … Go for Talktalk or sky great deals at the moment however they include calls

no talktalk for me

Have you tried ringing Virgin to sort a discount? Or do the whole cancelling and waiting for the outbound team to ring you? I did it the other week and I pay £7.50 for 100mb broadband now. I also pay £32.50 for L TV and movies though so I don't know if you can get broadband just for £7.50 but they might do.

Just to throw something else into the mix. How is the 4G where you live? Considered going down that line instead presuming if you are not worried about speed that your don't download much possibly. Below will also give you an idea of what LLU options you have on your exchange to help narrow down searching.

samknows.com/bro…ker
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 18th Oct 2016

ADSL is a bit of a lottery and you may not get 10MBPS, we don't even though quite near to exchange (on EE although just starting to shop around at end of contract, maybe they throttle).

SSE is currently cheapest fibre I think at £21/mth for 18mth then goes up.

HondaLad

Have you tried ringing Virgin to sort a discount? Or do the whole … Have you tried ringing Virgin to sort a discount? Or do the whole cancelling and waiting for the outbound team to ring you? I did it the other week and I pay £7.50 for 100mb broadband now. I also pay £32.50 for L TV and movies though so I don't know if you can get broadband just for £7.50 but they might do.

I think, though I may be wrong, that the cheapest you can haggle just line and broadband to is c.£30/mth with VM.

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

Just to throw something else into the mix. How is the 4G where you live? … Just to throw something else into the mix. How is the 4G where you live? Considered going down that line instead presuming if you are not worried about speed that your don't download much possibly. Below will also give you an idea of what LLU options you have on your exchange to help narrow down searching. https://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

I live under a phone mast to be honest, 4g is PERFECT.

WestMidlands

I live under a phone mast to be honest, 4g is PERFECT.

If you don't use much data then 4G would be the way to go saving money on line rental (yes yes Vodafone do BB without line rental but really it is just absorbed into the price)
Very quick Google and you can get 20gb per month for £14 on 24 month contract or £15 on 12 month contract and £19 upfront (only on the 12 month deal) for the 4G router which lets you connect up to 20 devices I think it is, maybe more. Plus means you can take it with you anywhere outside of the house also.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 18th Oct 2016

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

If you don't use much data then 4G would be the way to go saving money on … If you don't use much data then 4G would be the way to go saving money on line rental (yes yes Vodafone do BB without line rental but really it is just absorbed into the price)Very quick Google and you can get 20gb per month for £14 on 24 month contract or £15 on 12 month contract and £19 upfront (only on the 12 month deal) for the 4G router which lets you connect up to 20 devices I think it is, maybe more. Plus means you can take it with you anywhere outside of the house also.

Thanks for that mate what did u type in?

Original Poster

In my opinion broadband prices are extortionate. We don't even use the landline it's just there it's a shame

Vodafone are offering Fibre broadband with no line rental.

WestMidlands

In my opinion broadband prices are extortionate. We don't even use the … In my opinion broadband prices are extortionate. We don't even use the landline it's just there it's a shame

Highly recommend sky. They will also cancel your current bb saving you any headache.

Don't forget if you/a relative is on low income/benefits, there's BT Basic phone with broadband
btplc.com/inc…htm
At a small fraction of the regular cost

WestMidlands

uswitch.com have a great site for checking SIM deals - can get great deals on SIM only contracts - do check the network allows tethering though if you go for a phone SIM with data.

WestMidlands

broadbandgenie.co.uk/mob…and

4g broadband plans is what I searched under.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 19th Oct 2016

I wrote out BTs deal without looking at other providers (i'm used to looking at fibre prices and not broadband) and noticed Sky is actually cheaper than BT - I haven't checked other providers so don't forget to look yourself.

Sky is currently:

£50 voucher and £55 cashback.

Free broadband for 12months and £17.40 line rental = £208.8, minus the £105 cashback/voucher = £108.8 = £9.06 per month!

BT have their reward cards back.

productsandservices.bt.com/pro…es/

Unlimited broadband gives you a £75 voucher, topcashback is £90 = £165 total

Broadband £6/month
Line rental £18.99/month

So over the 12 months taking into account the £165 you'll get it comes down to £11.24 per month once averaged out - not including £8 router delivery. Extortionate charging £8!

There has been better deals out there, at one point Sky was paying people to take their broadband out!

Original Poster

buglawton

Don't forget if you/a relative is on low income/benefits, there's BT … Don't forget if you/a relative is on low income/benefits, there's BT Basic phone with broadbandhttp://www.btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/index.htmAt a small fraction of the regular cost

That's actually very good but why only
10gb data limit?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions