Cheapest build for vr.

Posted 3rd Nov
Can anyone suggest a build for vr that isn't going to break the bank, £250 or under if that's possible it's for my sons Xmas who's 9 so doesn't have to be high end just enough for vr and gaming on a level with consoles. TIA.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Unless you have a PC already that you want to upgrade, not possible sorry. I assume the £250 doesnt include a PC compatible vr headset?
jaydeeuk103/11/2019 16:21

Unless you have a PC already that you want to upgrade, not possible sorry. …Unless you have a PC already that you want to upgrade, not possible sorry. I assume the £250 doesnt include a PC compatible vr headset?

No would buy that separate
Best would be to buy a gpu and CPU from sites like gumtree/ebay then buy ram, motherboard etc from CCL etc.
Gtx 970 is a good gpu to aim for around 60-80£

Would mean building it yourself tho.
R_S03/11/2019 16:29

No would buy that separate

I'd get a playststion tbh.

With VR you can just about get away with a 1060/580 card which are around £150. But some games like project cars 2, no man's sky will be verging on unplayable on anything but minimum settings ( I have them both with a 1060).
Husla03/11/2019 16:38

Best would be to buy a gpu and CPU from sites like gumtree/ebay then buy …Best would be to buy a gpu and CPU from sites like gumtree/ebay then buy ram, motherboard etc from CCL etc. Gtx 970 is a good gpu to aim for around 60-80£Would mean building it yourself tho.

Dont mind building it myself with my son, built one before. Only problem is I have no idea what parts is needed or compatible
jaydeeuk103/11/2019 16:38

I'd get a playststion tbh.With VR you can just about get away with a …I'd get a playststion tbh.With VR you can just about get away with a 1060/580 card which are around £150. But some games like project cars 2, no man's sky will be verging on unplayable on anything but minimum settings ( I have them both with a 1060).

Told them to get a ps but they wanted an xbox as their friends have them, wouldn't mind my son to learn how to build a PC plus lot more uses with a PC imo
R_S03/11/2019 16:42

Dont mind building it myself with my son, built one before. Only problem …Dont mind building it myself with my son, built one before. Only problem is I have no idea what parts is needed or compatible

Pcpartpicker does compatibility check, as for what parts you need if you built before it’s the same. Just work down the list..

look at what vr set you are buying and games you want and get spec of those... the vr set will set you back £300 at least. I doubt you will do it at £250 but good luck, you might get lucky with a bargain or two.
Bargainhead03/11/2019 17:48

Pcpartpicker does compatibility check, as for what parts you need if you …Pcpartpicker does compatibility check, as for what parts you need if you built before it’s the same. Just work down the list..look at what vr set you are buying and games you want and get spec of those... the vr set will set you back £300 at least. I doubt you will do it at £250 but good luck, you might get lucky with a bargain or two.

The game he wants on vr is only available with oculus rift and HTC vive plus ps 4. How would I find out what spec is needed for those.
Found this on Google.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz.
RAM: 4 GB System Memory.
GPU RAM: 4GB Video Memory or greater.
GPU: GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 290.
Display: VR Headset - Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.

So I assume that's the minimum, any of those be swapped about for cheaper alternatives. Then of course will need case and mobo
Another question. AMD or Intel, will be mostly for gaming but would like it perform well for all his needs
Ain't a chance you're building something that's gonna work with a budget of £250, you need to double it at least.
R_S03/11/2019 18:01

Found this on Google.OS: Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 Or Newer.CPU: …Found this on Google.OS: Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 Or Newer.CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz.RAM: 4 GB System Memory.GPU RAM: 4GB Video Memory or greater.GPU: GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 290.Display: VR Headset - Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.So I assume that's the minimum, any of those be swapped about for cheaper alternatives. Then of course will need case and mobo

You need at very very minimum 8gb system ram 16gb is standard now, the vr sets you want are £400 alone..

you can get win 10 key on eBay for a few pound...

amd cheaper and Ryzen are perfectly fine for gaming...

maybe look for 2nd hand system in the buy and sell and just replace gpu...
uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…QZf Might need a bigger case...

thats is new and will get you online and play modern games easily, not on highest settings but. You can add more ram later.

personally I would by better brand products and a ssd as well for os even 120gb for £15...

but it I did cheap and will last a while. If you could find 2nd hand parts it will save money..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 3rd Nov
Bargainhead03/11/2019 20:00

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCFQZf Might need a bigger case...thats …https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCFQZf Might need a bigger case...thats is new and will get you online and play modern games easily, not on highest settings but. You can add more ram later.personally I would by better brand products and a ssd as well for os even 120gb for £15...but it I did cheap and will last a while. If you could find 2nd hand parts it will save money..

Thanks. So that there would be powerful enough for vr?
R_S03/11/2019 20:23

Thanks. So that there would be powerful enough for vr?

It should, the 8gb card would be better but about £50 more.. on a budget it should be fine just not at highest settings... you can always sell the card later and upgrade...
Bargainhead03/11/2019 20:42

It should, the 8gb card would be better but about £50 more.. on a budget …It should, the 8gb card would be better but about £50 more.. on a budget it should be fine just not at highest settings... you can always sell the card later and upgrade...

Thank you will start looking for parts now.
Regards to used gpu any reason to stay away from ones used for crypto mining
Yeah, they’ve been pushed to 100% for most of it’s life, might work for years, might work for half an hour.
I assume there is no way to tell when buying used? So just need to hope to find an honest seller
Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

✅Cards were Slight Used for testing Purposes ONLY.

£125 or best offer this a good dea0?
Here's where I'm at so far

AMD ryzen 5 2600 £110 BNB
Special Edition Sapphire Radeon RX 580 NITRO+ 8 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card. used £120-130

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H Micro ATX Motherboard £40 new
M-atx case £19 new
evga, 500w psu £35 used.
HyperX HX421C14FBK2/16 FURY 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 UDIMM £25 used.
About £360 still to add os and hard drive these prices aren't final, so hoping can get them a bit cheaper.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants