Groups

Cheapest carpet underlay?

Does anyone know where I can find the cheapest carpet underlay? Getting a new carpet soon and was going to use the old underlay but if I can find some underlay cheap I might as well do it all now
    thanks

26 Comments

FRANK's is cheapest but is poor underlay. = false economy

one thing that really makes a carpet is the underlay..
    if you cant afford nice underlay then save up.
    cheap = bad..

Banned

and a decent double hessian backed carpet on top

Original Poster

thats what I'm telling my husband! we need a new carpet cause we've got rid of the 60s stone fireplace and theres a huge bit now has no carpet The new one is felt backed is that good?

an old rubber u/lay is worth more than a new foam one, if you have to buy new and cheap then go for a felt u/lay, lasts longer than the cheap foam stuff and gives your carpet more support, especially on stairs

lostscot;5803933

thats what I'm telling my husband! we need a new carpet cause we've got … thats what I'm telling my husband! we need a new carpet cause we've got rid of the 60s stone fireplace and theres a huge bit now has no carpet The new one is felt backed is that good?

ok for bedrooms but I wouldn't have it anywhere else.

ya felt backed is pants...

Banned

if you're in the house for a long time its worth spending a bit extra in decent carpets especially in rooms you frequent.....nothing better than a nice soft thick carpet

hessian backed is what u want really

Original Poster

roadrunner1;5803951

ok for bedrooms but I wouldn't have it anywhere else.

Why?

whats wrong with woven carpets? lol

underlay, underlay.
    isn't that what speedy gonzales used to say?:?

Banned

half the price of carpet stores and same stuff tradepriced.co.uk/

lostscot;5804005

Why?

its generally man made, thin, has limited pile density and length!

Banned

Jed Maxwell;5804012

whats wrong with woven carpets? lol

thats not what we talking about.....nowt wrong with a nice wool axminster mate

Original Poster

Thanks, maybe we'll go for the other one then

Original Poster

casparwhite;5804062

basics guide … basics guide herehttp://www.interior-design-it-yourself.com/carpet-ratings.html

Very handy, Thanks

Banned

mate is a carpet fitter .. best to go for is Cloud 9 .. the dogs conkers

Original Poster

that trade underlay website looks great prices, funnily enough was looking at the cloud nine one. think I'll just buy the underlay and not tell hubby till we come to having it laid

cloud 9 is the best foam underlay....

Banned

people seem pretty happy with the foam here

avforums.com/for…tml

Banned

lostscot;5804005

Why?

felt backed wears out very quickly so no good in high traffic areas.

Original Poster

csiman;5806047

felt backed wears out very quickly so no good in high traffic areas.

Wonder why our local independant shop sells this as suitable for lounges, halls etc ?

Banned

lostscot;5807122

Wonder why our local independant shop sells this as suitable for lounges, … Wonder why our local independant shop sells this as suitable for lounges, halls etc ?

cos its cheap and they get a sale. and you'll be back in a year or two for a replacement :thumbsup:

lostscot;5807122

Wonder why our local independant shop sells this as suitable for lounges, … Wonder why our local independant shop sells this as suitable for lounges, halls etc ?

Nearly every carpet you see in a carpet shop will say on the back of the sample suitable for h/s/l bedroom/living room.. and alomost no matter what the quality it will say for heavy domestic wear on it. Even though it might be a pile of crap

I remember pulling up some old foam backed carpet that had been laid on paper.

The back of the carpet fell to bits as we tried to pull it up. I must admit it hadn't been that comfortable to walk on.

I must admit that now I buy better quality, but back in the days when I was first setting up home, quality wasn't my main concern.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1832
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767463
      3. One thing you've forgotten56
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424814504

See more discussions