Cheapest cuts of meat

Posted 22nd Apr 2022
Trying to cut cost of our weekly food shop in Lidl.
I tend to buy chicken breasts and beef mince as I assume it's the cheapest meats and easy to meal plan for the kiddies but what are other people's thoughts or advice on how I can vary my meals weekly or even monthly?
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Anonymous User
    Also if you want lean beef mince to go further just add cheap ingredients to it. For example a chilli con carne with jacket potatoes. Jacket potatoes are like 39p for 4, and red kidney beans are cheap as well.
    Anonymous User
    Whole large chicken for a fiver is what i find offers best value. We get 3 meals from it, although the 3rd one is a curry with whats left of it.
    a666andy
    Beef mince can indeed be very cheap and mixed into things like spag bol / chilli etc. Where you can bulk up with veg makes a very big bulk meal that you can fridge or freeze for another time.

Quite often, chicken thigh is cheaper than breast and normally carries more flavour.

Pork loin steaks can be quite cheap and good protein

Else whole chickens can be very cheap too (edited)
    Whitefiver
    deleted52441522/04/2022 16:35

Whole large chicken for a fiver is what i find offers best value. We get 3 …Whole large chicken for a fiver is what i find offers best value. We get 3 meals from it, although the 3rd one is a curry with whats left of it.

Not forgetting soup with the carcase.... Also, I prefer chicken thighs over the breast, far more flavour. Best value - whole chicken, without doubt.

You could always extend the mince with a handful of pulses, or even make a meat free bolognese sauce with lentils instead of mince. (Not the ordinary red lentils from preference though). Mrs Fiver makes a super meat free version! It is based on a Napolina recipe here which forms a great starting point for experimentaion.
    Ukguy101
    Liver & hearts worth a try.
    TristanDeCoonha
    Look into heart, liver (£4.99), skirt, ox cheek (£7.99), shin beef, and others. Either a proper butcher or the Waitrose counter (20% off for members). Very good, juicy stews etc.
    Find out your Waitrose reduction time. I have found £36 per kilo 30 day old beef down to £6.99 per kg
    eelvis
    Lots of veg and smaller portions.
    Magda2
    Turkey mince is cheaper,very lean and versitile
    TheCosmos
    Quorn mince might be worth trying if you haven't - when on offer especially, it's still high in protein. I'm not vegetarian but I like it.
    Cisco060606
    I tends to buy chicken thigh and de-bone it
    I think it is around £1.80 - £2 per kg
    Kieran_Wildsmith Author
    deleted52441522/04/2022 16:35

Whole large chicken for a fiver is what i find offers best value. We get 3 …Whole large chicken for a fiver is what i find offers best value. We get 3 meals from it, although the 3rd one is a curry with whats left of it.

Don't know if that's possible with a family of 5 lol. I used to separate the breasts, wings and thighs then use the scraps for soup but didn't really go that far. Bear in mind there's 2 of each.

TristanDeCoonha22/04/2022 17:25

Look into heart, liver (£4.99), skirt, ox cheek (£7.99), shin beef, and oth …Look into heart, liver (£4.99), skirt, ox cheek (£7.99), shin beef, and others. Either a proper butcher or the Waitrose counter (20% off for members). Very good, juicy stews etc.Find out your Waitrose reduction time. I have found £36 per kilo 30 day old beef down to £6.99 per kg

Don't think there's a waitrose near me. Would asda do it? I've got a local butchers which I'd like to use but supermarkets are cheaper (obviously) (edited)
    TristanDeCoonha
    Kieran_Wildsmith22/04/2022 18:13

Don't think there's a waitrose near me. Would asda do it? I've got a local …Don't think there's a waitrose near me. Would asda do it? I've got a local butchers which I'd like to use but supermarkets are cheaper (obviously)

Mt experience of Asda counters is that you are lucky to find them open, and the selection is not aa good. OK for pizza and antipasto, but crap for anything else.
    You are unlikely to find the meats in prepack, as most shoppers seem to like their meat devoid of reference to the animal slaughtered for their consumption.
    Perhaps a farm. Be prepared to pay the price for fresh meat. I know which day the pigs are slaughtered locally, so fresh pig head, liver, trotters etc soom make their way into my belly. Bet you won't find a pig head on the Asda counter.
    If you have a local Company Shop, that might he worth a visit. Don't get caught out on their beef joint prices. I have just bought packs of 2 30 day mature Angus steaks, 480g per pack, at £10 per kg. Very tender and quick to cook.
    It pays to have a good meat with cheaper veg, than cheap all around, if you can stretch to it
    Kieran_Wildsmith Author
    TristanDeCoonha22/04/2022 18:53

Mt experience of Asda counters is that you are lucky to find them open, …Mt experience of Asda counters is that you are lucky to find them open, and the selection is not aa good. OK for pizza and antipasto, but crap for anything else.You are unlikely to find the meats in prepack, as most shoppers seem to like their meat devoid of reference to the animal slaughtered for their consumption.Perhaps a farm. Be prepared to pay the price for fresh meat. I know which day the pigs are slaughtered locally, so fresh pig head, liver, trotters etc soom make their way into my belly. Bet you won't find a pig head on the Asda counter.If you have a local Company Shop, that might he worth a visit. Don't get caught out on their beef joint prices. I have just bought packs of 2 30 day mature Angus steaks, 480g per pack, at £10 per kg. Very tender and quick to cook.It pays to have a good meat with cheaper veg, than cheap all around, if you can stretch to it

I have a local company shop. You have to fall lucky with them though as I find prices similar to supermarkets
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants