Expired

Cheapest delivery company (that ships to Jersey) ?

Found 24th Jul 2013
So I sold a book for £8 after fees, yet it weighs 1.2 kilograms. I thought it would be covered by the RM £2.60 small parcel, but they want £5.60 since it weighs 200 grams more.

Secondly, the buyer is from Jersey, which myHermes don't ship to but the looks of things.

Is there anywhere else people can recommend that could undercut royal mail in this instance?
Collect+ seems to be £4.85 although unfortunately there appears to be no promotional codes for them either (unlike Hermes) . Argh what a mess!

Thank you.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

RM is cheapest up to their small parcel limit, then next is myhermes then collect+. I've just googled a few couriers and tried parcelmonkey and they're horrendously expensive. Collect+ is looking like your best bet. Lesson learned - weigh before listing. If you don't want to complete the sale you could try explaining to the buyer and ask to cancel but you take the risk they refuse and you'll get a strike and -ve feedback.

Not going to happen sorry.

Royal Mail have really messed up this area, printed papers, Airmail and Surface mail now very expensive and I think that's why ebay's auctions are struggling. Only people who can get a decent price now is big business who send lots everyday.

Original Poster

Sorry guys - to clarify I sold via Amazon marketplace.

I said I would only ship domestically - and Jersey is not part of the United Kingdom. I wonder what Amazons policy is on this? My delivery costs were domestic, and Jersey is always going to be more expensive since it is a seperate island.

Amazon policy.

Domestic shipments include addresses in Mainland UK, PO Boxes, Channel … Domestic shipments include addresses in Mainland UK, PO Boxes, Channel Islands, Northern Ireland, Outer Hebrides and BFPO addresses.

Edited by: "ceres" 24th Jul 2013

Original Poster

ceres

Amazon policy.

Interesting Will have to increase prices across the board then to take this into account. I guess it means CI people are more likely to order from Amazon, but everybody else has to pay a higher average price (in particular for heavier goods)

It came into effect last year - just found the article:
http://tamebay.com/2012/02/amazon-re-classify-channel-islands-as-uk-street-address.html

Fortunately I only sell a few bits & bobs that we bought and longer need ... Would hate to try and make a living out of things like this
Edited by: "Firefly1" 24th Jul 2013

http://phatfriend.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/internet-memes-first-world-problems-and-ive-already-seen-this-one.jpg

Amazon allow you to charge more than £2.60 for books. If you'd weighed it first, you could have got much closer to what it will cost to send it.

Original Poster

ceres

Amazon allow you to charge more than £2.60 for books. If you'd weighed … Amazon allow you to charge more than £2.60 for books. If you'd weighed it first, you could have got much closer to what it will cost to send it.

But you can only charge one delivery price per item - where CI is more expensive to ship to. It really does show how tough it is to make a business out of selling on one of these websites and I feel for those people when obstacles such as these get in their way.

Yes, but you worked out the price on the wrong weight. You could never have sent it anywhere for £2.60. You could have set the postage for all domestic addresses at £4.02 (-ish, maximum postage for a book is around this I think from memory) then you would have been out of pocket pence instead of pounds on the shipping.

It's not obstacles, it's just business. You have to make a decision whether there's enough margin left to make selling worthwhile.

Original Poster

ceres

Yes, but you worked out the price on the wrong weight. You could never … Yes, but you worked out the price on the wrong weight. You could never have sent it anywhere for £2.60. You could have set the postage for all domestic addresses at £4.02 (-ish, maximum postage for a book is around this I think from memory) then you would have been out of pocket pence instead of pounds on the shipping.It's not obstacles, it's just business. You have to make a decision whether there's enough margin left to make selling worthwhile.

Whilst I was unsure of the RM pricing, I knew a courier would be sub-£5 so the weighting is not my main gripe. 'Domestic' infers the U.K, which Jersey is certainly not part of, although I did not appreciate Amazon include them as 'domestic'. However, even if I did know that, I can not stop Jersians from buying the product - hence back to my original point that - even as a buyer, it is disappointing to know that sellers have had to take this into account, resulting in the United Kingdom buyers paying more.

http://i.qkme.me/1vy5.jpg

Thanks for your feedback & help
Edited by: "Firefly1" 24th Jul 2013

I think I must be missing your point here. The RM deliver to mainland UK and the Channel Islands for the same price so your 1.2kg parcel would cost £5.60 whether you chose to send it to Orkney, Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff or St Helier. So there's no extra cost. No-one is paying extra because items are being sent to Jersey. Myhermes and Collect+ don't deliver to the Channel Islands so their charges aren't relevant. Your problem seems to be that you thought it would only cost you £2.60 to post because you under-estimated the weight, nothing to do with where it's going.

davelangston

Not going to happen sorry.Royal Mail have really messed up this area, … Not going to happen sorry.Royal Mail have really messed up this area, printed papers, Airmail and Surface mail now very expensive and I think that's why ebay's auctions are struggling. Only people who can get a decent price now is big business who send lots everyday.

Those services are for international destinations. As far as the Royal Mail is concerned, Jersey is a UK destination so they don't apply.
Edited by: "ceres" 25th Jul 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions