cheapest electric heater to run

Found 15th Oct 2015
can somebody advise best type of heater, have old storage heating in house which is expensive to run
Community Updates
8 Comments
I'll try- though it totally depends on size of room /s to heat -length of time to heat rooms etc .

At the end of the day a kwh ,say , of electricity will produce probably 990 watts of heat . Fan heaters less though they provide quick heat they also have the fan to run .

As I'm sure you know storage heaters heat up overnight ( on cheap electricity - about a quarter of the peak time rate - if I remember rightly . Problem - lovely and warm while you are in bed and don't need it , maybe ok for the morning ,but cold by the time you get home in the evening . There used to be an "auto " on them which would run a fan to keep the room temperature to the setting -but also switch on the feed (peak rate prices ) if the storage heater itself cooled down - Don't ever use that! pricey !

Depends on what sort of heat you want ,background, to heat the whole room or radiant -doesn't raise the temp of the room that much but makes you feel warm sat in front of it .

Check first that you are on an Economy 7 tariff -storage heaters are a total waste if you are not - is the house occupied during the day ? if not switch the storage radiators off ,say , during the week when you are at work (bet they are cold by 6pm ) . On a pure "feel factor " a radiant electric fire will make you feel warm for a couple of hours if sat in front of it (but will be pretty inefficient at actually heating the room ) . An oil filled electric radiator is the best for background heating of the room ,but doesn't warm a room quickly .

Depends on your hours of occupation . Provided you are on Economy 7 tariff (or whatever they call it these days ) Storage heaters are the best bet for background heat up until 4 or 5 pm . In an old house (with thick walls etc) the house itself (bricks etc ) acts as extra storage for the cheap rate heat you have overnight . Newer houses don't tend to have the same mass off brickwork .

Storage heaters can be good for certain lifestyles and properties but at the end of the day it depends when you want your house/flat to be warm and for how long .
My storage heaters heat up only on E7 (cheap 7 hours overnight tariff - 0.0551p per kWh where as day rate is 0.1365p per kWh) and if left on for the full 7 hrs will hold the heat and keep the home warm until maybe 9 or 10pm then it starts to get cold again.

There is another tariff, I think it's called E10, where you get a hour or so less at night but a 1 hour booster (cheap rate) during the early evening.

Of course it will depend on how many rooms "are lived in" and what hours you work or don't to find the best source for heating your home.

Someone with babies or at home most of the day might benefit from E7 storage heaters whilst those working 9 - 5 will benefit for heating turned on just before they arrive home.
Edited by: "philphil61" 15th Oct 2015
Oil filled radiators cheap to buy and one of the cheaper to run.
Ceramic heaters hold their heat longer though but a cracking one will set you back a little bit.
Steer clear of anything with a fan. They just burn electric for little gain.

But like previous reply all depends what size room. How many rooms. How long you will want it on for.

For example if you wanted it in all your rooms and use on a permanent basis id recommend having new combi boiler heating system installed as would be the cheapest in the very long term. But if its one room over winter then an oil filled rad will help.
Heat is heat, and while a fan won't reduce that, the moving air won't feel as warm.

Halogen radiants look warm and make you feel warm when pointing at you - there are some which turn - typically with 3x 400W bars. Out of the beam, not so warm though.

Not sure if oil filed perform better than convectors, though one advantage of oil filled is you don't get the stink of burning dust that can occur with any of the "hot element" types - a convector that hasn't been used for a while stinks like hell when first turned on.
IR heaters uses Infra-Red light and thin as a wall hung picture, just sit in front and cost very little to run... do a google search can't remember much as I looked into this subject last year, we eventually moved properties so didn't buy one.
example:- found via google
thegreenage.co.uk/tec…ls/
Heaters are the only electrical appliance that are 99.9% efficient.
Basically, whatever electricity you put in will be given out as heat. there is nothing else to it. A heater that claims to cost less to run will give out less heat - guaranteed. You cannot get heat out of nothing.
So its down to you, if you want a "cheap to run" heater (1.5KW), be advised that you will have to leave it on twice as long as an "expensive to run" heater (3KW) to warm the room to the same temperature.

Storage heaters are no different, all they do is give off lower amounts of heat over a period of time. It still uses the same energy to heat them up in the first place.
The best possible advice i can give you is to insulate your house as best you can, then the heat you have will stay in your home for longer. It really does make a huge difference.
Simple things like draught proofing your doors and windows, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation help tremendously. Close the doors in the rooms as well can make rooms feel much warmer.
A friend of mine has an old council house, and his energy bills are double what mine are, because my house is 1 year old and fully insulated.
Edited by: "118luke" 16th Oct 2015
118luke

The best possible advice i can give you is to insulate your house as best … The best possible advice i can give you is to insulate your house as best you can, then the heat you have will stay in your home for longer. It really does make a huge difference.Simple things like draught proofing your doors and windows, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation help tremendously. Close the doors in the rooms as well can make rooms feel much warmer.A friend of mine has an old council house, and his energy bills are double what mine are, because my house is 1 year old and fully insulated.

Unless the friend is on an identical tariff to yours then you can't compare them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants