Cheapest Flu Jab Vaccination 2019 (Winners: NHS Free**, Superdrug* and Asda)

Posted 12th Oct
Superdrug - Free* or £6.99** for Health and Beauty Card holders **until 5th November, then £9.99
(Get an instant Superdrug Health and Beauty Card instore & on their website)

Asda - Free* or £7
storelocator.asda.com

Tesco - Free* or £9
tesco.com/store-locator

Lloyds Pharmacy - Free* or £11.50
booking.lloydspharmacy.com

Boots - Free* or £12.99
booking.boots.com

* Many pharmacies may be able to provide a free NHS jab
if you are registered with a GP in England or Wales, are aged 18 or over. The pharmacist will check if you’re eligible following a short consultation and the completion of a questionnaire.

Flu Vaccinations are always free if you;
• Are aged 65 or over (or will turn 65 by 31 March 2020)
• Are pregnant
• Are a health or social care worker working in a residential or a nursing home, a hospice or with a home care provider
• Are a resident of a nursing or residential home
• Share a household with someone who has an impaired immune system
• Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more

Care for someone whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill. Carer status may include:
• People aged 18 or over who are in receipt of a carer's allowance
• Those aged 18 or over who are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person

Have a certain medical condition such as:
• Diabetes
• Lung disease, including asthma if you're on a preventer inhaler
• Heart, kidney or liver conditions
• Lowered immunity due to disease (such as HIV) or treatment (for example steroid medication or cancer treatment) or you have had your spleen removed
• Long-term neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis
• A learning disability

Course:
One dose (children under 9 years old, who have not previously been vaccinated against influenza, will require a second booster dose which can't be earlier than 4 weeks after the first dose).

Do you need to book an appointment?
It is not always necessary to book a flu jab you can often call into your local vaccinating pharmacy, but ring ahead to check availability.

When is the best time to get vaccinated?
The best time to get vaccinated is from the beginning of October to early November.

Why are there two different flu vaccinations for 2019?
This year the NHS has recommended the use of 2 different vaccinations; Fluad (adjuvanted trivalent influenza vaccine) for those aged 65 and over (free) and a Quadrivalent vaccine for those aged 18 to 65.

How quickly does the flu jab take effect?
It can take between 2 to 3 weeks to become fully effective.

Should you get vaccinated against winter flu every year?
Yes, the virus that causes flu changes every year. The flu vaccination this year also covers you against the H1N1 swine flu virus.

I had the flu vaccination last year but still caught flu. Why? The flu vaccination is the best protection against the most common strains of flu. However the vaccination is not protection against all the different viruses which can produce flu-like symptoms. Getting vaccinated significantly reduces your chances of getting flu.

Will the flu vaccination give you flu?
No, the flu vaccination only contains inactive particles of the flu viruses so it can't cause flu.

What are the side effects of the flu vaccination?
Most people don't experience any adverse effects; however, the most common side effects are general aches and pains, a rash at the injection site and feeling tired. These will usually go away within a day or two.

Can pregnant women receive the flu vaccine?
Yes, pregnant women are advised to obtain the flu vaccine irrespective of their stage of pregnancy.

What is my risk of a serious allergic reaction to the flu vaccination?
Serious side effects are extremely rare, but you will be asked to remain in the pharmacy for ten minutes to detect 'anaphylaxis'. Symptoms of 'anaphylaxis' can include fainting, shortness of breath, falling blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat and are very serious. Pharmacy staff providing this service should be fully trained in managing what is anaphylaxis.

Should you still get the flu jab if you’re feeling unwell? If you are very unwell (for example with a fever or temperature above 38.5 C), the Pharmacist may postpone your flu vaccination until you have fully recovered. If you have a minor illness without a fever, such as a cold, you should not need to postpone your flu vaccine. It is also fine to have your flu jab if you are on antibiotics.

Do you need to inform your GP? It's important that you inform your GP of your flu vaccination. Your pharmacist can tell you the name of the flu vaccination you receive.
Community Updates

Groups

8 Comments
Had mine on Friday at Boots £12.99, job done no flu for me for another year
Thanks for reminding me!

Added to calendar for next week.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 12th Oct
Free @ my work place....
Do the unemployed get a free jab?
airbus33012/10/2019 22:55

Do the unemployed get a free jab?

Not specifically, but yes if you fall into one of the categories listed on the description.
Bazzer5512/10/2019 21:18

Had mine on Friday at Boots £12.99, job done no flu for me for another …Had mine on Friday at Boots £12.99, job done no flu for me for another year

Not necessarily true; the jab guards against only a handful of flu varieties.
terriclarkfan13/10/2019 21:25

Not necessarily true; the jab guards against only a handful of flu …Not necessarily true; the jab guards against only a handful of flu varieties.

Well for 3 years I haven't had a "handful" of flu ...not even a sniffle
What's the difference?? Or is it all same and it's only price difference
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants