Cheapest for car insurance?

Posted 27th Dec 2019
any recommendations for cheap car insurance?

being quotes 2200 from aplan for our 2 cars

I have 7yrs NCD and wife 3yrs
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
Too many variables. Throw your deets into the usual comparison sites, or try the curveball ByMiles bymiles.co.uk/
Hastings Premier are pretty good. Sub £300 fully comp inc RAC breakdown, protected no claims etc, group 24 car but with lots of safety kit (city braking, lane assist, radar etc) which insurers like.
Exactly what @AndyRoyd said above.

Each persons circumstances are so different different insurers will be much cheaper for one person than another.

Unfortunately you will have to put the work in on this occasion and run your detail through as many comparison sites as you can to see who come up cheapest
£2200? Do you drive a taxi?
What cars and how many claims in the Last 5 years? That's a ridiculous quote for 2 cards and years of ncb.
Moneysupermarket.com and confused.com to figure out who is offering best prices for your requirements and then quidco and topcashback to see who have the best cashback offers when combined.
AA. <- £300.00, comprehensive, 9 years NCD (protected) and breakdown included on a Golf 2.0 TDi.

Built up all NCD with Admiral but their prices increased every year. One good thing I found with Admiral - they will try their best to match competitor quotes. I always found a quick and polite call to CS after getting your quote and immediately (every year) they discount by £70.00 as a starting point.

Shop around, find a few quotes you like and start ringing customer service and play them off one another.
psychedelicrenegade27/12/2019 15:47

AA. <- £300.00, comprehensive, 9 years NCD (protected) and breakdown …AA. <- £300.00, comprehensive, 9 years NCD (protected) and breakdown included on a Golf 2.0 TDi.Built up all NCD with Admiral but their prices increased every year. One good thing I found with Admiral - they will try their best to match competitor quotes. I always found a quick and polite call to CS after getting your quote and immediately (every year) they discount by £70.00 as a starting point.Shop around, find a few quotes you like and start ringing customer service and play them off one another.

Thanks, that’s good to know about Admiral... my renewal with them is due next month and they’re coming in £75 over Churchill. Might get them to price match (if I’m lucky!).
Sc4mp027/12/2019 15:32

What cars and how many claims in the Last 5 years? That's a ridiculous …What cars and how many claims in the Last 5 years? That's a ridiculous quote for 2 cards and years of ncb.

Is it?

We don't know:
Age of both drivers
Length of time both full licences held
Accident or other claims history if any
Cars, makes models etc
Postcode of registered address
Postcode of where parked overnight if different to above
The list of variables goes on and on.

Could be two Ferraris, history of accidents and parked on the street in a high risk area. Only the OP knows which if any apply.
Comparethemarket has always found me the cheapest quotes out of all the Comparison sites when checking each year.
shelliebish27/12/2019 15:50

Thanks, that’s good to know about Admiral... my renewal with them is due n …Thanks, that’s good to know about Admiral... my renewal with them is due next month and they’re coming in £75 over Churchill. Might get them to price match (if I’m lucky!).

Always worth a try. Discounted my premium every year

AA. <- £300.00, comprehensive, 9 years NCD (protected) and breakdown …AA. <- £300.00, comprehensive, 9 years NCD (protected) and breakdown included on a Golf 2.0 TDi.Built up all NCD with Admiral but their prices increased every year. One good thing I found with Admiral - they will try their best to match competitor quotes. I always found a quick and polite call to CS after getting your quote and immediately (every year) they discount by £70.00 as a starting point.Shop around, find a few quotes you like and start ringing customer service and play them off one another.

We're with admiral and year on year they've been by far the cheapest. Always had to go through a comparison websites and change our name to get the cheapest price(incidentally always with them but doesn't come up with our names) but worth it for an extra 5 minutes work.
OBH6UK27/12/2019 15:51

Is it?We don't know:Age of both driversLength of time both full licences …Is it?We don't know:Age of both driversLength of time both full licences heldAccident or other claims history if anyCars, makes models etcPostcode of registered addressPostcode of where parked overnight if different to aboveThe list of variables goes on and on.Could be two Ferraris, history of accidents and parked on the street in a high risk area. Only the OP knows which if any apply.

We could guess a rough estimate of age and how many years they've had a licence by his initial post.

As for what cars and any accidents, nice of you to read both sentences of my response.
shelliebish27/12/2019 15:50

Thanks, that’s good to know about Admiral... my renewal with them is due n …Thanks, that’s good to know about Admiral... my renewal with them is due next month and they’re coming in £75 over Churchill. Might get them to price match (if I’m lucky!).

If you go on to comparison websites and fill out all the information correctly except for names (make up names, play around with a couple) Admiral should come up as the cheapest then,write down the reference call them up and after you've given them the reference and they've confirmed the price tell them who you really are, that's what we do each year and get the cheapest quote possible, we've been with Admiral for years doing this ad they always come up cheapest.

A new quote will most likely always be cheaper than a renewal quote.
Aviva multi car insurance. Don't forget top cashback.

My renewal with admiral was £300 more than last years for 2 cars....quick check on comparison sites and then one easy call later, got it £200 less than what I paid last year so a 'saving' of £500 off the renewal price
Edited by: "sm9690" 27th Dec 2019
Sc4mp027/12/2019 16:06

If you go on to comparison websites and fill out all the information …If you go on to comparison websites and fill out all the information correctly except for names (make up names, play around with a couple) Admiral should come up as the cheapest then,write down the reference call them up and after you've given them the reference and they've confirmed the price tell them who you really are, that's what we do each year and get the cheapest quote possible, we've been with Admiral for years doing this ad they always come up cheapest.A new quote will most likely always be cheaper than a renewal quote.

It’s so wrong that people have to go to that much effort to secure a price that should be available to them anyway! Thanks for the advice though, I haven’t tried playing with names etc before. I’m having a bit of a nightmare TBH, I changed my car in August and it only cost £50 at the time for the remainder of the policy.... but now it’s pretty much double the yearly premium of my old car! Combined with the fact that someone reversed into my old car and has to be declared as a claim (even though it wasn’t my fault), it’s now a painful process!
Sc4mp027/12/2019 16:03

We could guess a rough estimate of age and how many years they've had a …We could guess a rough estimate of age and how many years they've had a licence by his initial post.As for what cars and any accidents, nice of you to read both sentences of my response.

I did, maybe you should have reviewed it!

Sc4mp0"That's a ridiculous quote for 2 cards and years of ncb."

Though the OP was insuring cars!

And as one has 3 years only, either it is not yet been earned or maybe it has reduced due to accident(s), and most insures only allow up to 5 years discount, irrespective of how may you may actual have. And as the OP has not replied we still don't know what they are trying to insure, area etc.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 27th Dec 2019
Check to see if changing your job title (within reason, an outright lie will invalidate your insurance if they find out) reduces it:

moneysavingexpert.com/ins…er/
shelliebish27/12/2019 16:21

It’s so wrong that people have to go to that much effort to secure a price …It’s so wrong that people have to go to that much effort to secure a price that should be available to them anyway! Thanks for the advice though, I haven’t tried playing with names etc before. I’m having a bit of a nightmare TBH, I changed my car in August and it only cost £50 at the time for the remainder of the policy.... but now it’s pretty much double the yearly premium of my old car! Combined with the fact that someone reversed into my old car and has to be declared as a claim (even though it wasn’t my fault), it’s now a painful process!

It’s easier now than having to call every company in the yellow pages though
Direct line
eslick27/12/2019 17:08

It’s easier now than having to call every company in the yellow pages t …It’s easier now than having to call every company in the yellow pages though

Ah, that’s a bit before my time
There is no cheapest for everyone. Each insurer will have a different quote and some may not wish to insure you. I’d recommend a comparison website. Be careful not to keep going back and changing details as this could lead to not getting quotes. From what I’ve been told the algorithm detects this and “blacklists” you for some time.
Sc4mp027/12/2019 16:06

If you go on to comparison websites and fill out all the information …If you go on to comparison websites and fill out all the information correctly except for names (make up names, play around with a couple) Admiral should come up as the cheapest then,write down the reference call them up and after you've given them the reference and they've confirmed the price tell them who you really are, that's what we do each year and get the cheapest quote possible, we've been with Admiral for years doing this ad they always come up cheapest.A new quote will most likely always be cheaper than a renewal quote.

Yeouch!! Just did as you suggested and it’s given me a price of £677!! My expensive renewal was only £325. Think I might just accept the £250 from Churchill, seems like it’s the best I’m going to get
I’m a by mile convert.( under written by AxA )
A 66 plate Peugeot 5008 1.6 diesel auto. £171.00 fully comp & protected bonus parked. Then I pay 3.2 p a mile I drive.
With a referral you get £50.00 or free miles for me that’s 1500 free miles.
bigwheels28/12/2019 07:32

I’m a by mile convert.( under written by AxA )A 66 plate Peugeot 5008 1.6 d …I’m a by mile convert.( under written by AxA )A 66 plate Peugeot 5008 1.6 diesel auto. £171.00 fully comp & protected bonus parked. Then I pay 3.2 p a mile I drive.With a referral you get £50.00 or free miles for me that’s 1500 free miles.

Bymiles won't quote for me

I think it must be something to do with my postcode.

Both of us are 30, both professionals, I have 2 non faults in last 5yrs wife has none, both have one sp30 each, I do 30-35k a year of which 5k is personal, rest all business miles. Wife does less than 4k.

Have settled with aplan, 1300 for mine and 850 for wife. Cars are a 520d and golf diesel.

Thanks for all the above comments
footmanjames
Carolenash
I second confused.com

It's always worked for me, that and ringing my existing insurer and haggling on the phone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants