Cheapest graphics card for 4K HDR video

Found 24th Jun
Have a laptop with a 1070 in, but going to add a graphics card to a pretty capable desktop and plug into my Panasonic ez952 tv. What graphics card would I need to be able to play any 4K video around. Is it AMD 460, 550 and Nvidia 1030 and up?
Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
4 Comments
Pretty much any newish GPU can do 4K but h2.65 and some of the newer codecs work best with a GPU Hardware that supports those standards rather than software. Saying that a lot of newer iGPUs will support h2.65.

Is this just for video playback and do you require anything like HDR etc ?
Presumably you're talking playback rather than recording/streaming? The 1030 has a decoder but no encoder.

For playback you're looking at current Intel and AMD integrated graphics (Kaby/Coffee Lake, Ryzen), AMD Polaris Cards (550, 460/560 and above) and nVidia Pascal cards (GT1030 and above).
kester761 h, 16 m ago

Pretty much any newish GPU can do 4K but h2.65 and some of the newer …Pretty much any newish GPU can do 4K but h2.65 and some of the newer codecs work best with a GPU Hardware that supports those standards rather than software. Saying that a lot of newer iGPUs will support h2.65.Is this just for video playback and do you require anything like HDR etc ?

yes, 4k playback and HDR, most video files will probably be h265
MIDURIX1 h, 16 m ago

yes, 4k playback and HDR, most video files will probably be h265

You'll be looking for a card with HDMI 2.0 VP9, HDCP2.2 and HDR support as well. I agree the gt1030 seems the best option with price to performance.
Edited by: "kester76" 24th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions