Cheapest mobile data for US holiday?

Found 1st May
I will be going to the US soon and I need mobile data. In the past for Europe I used three data sims in a huawei mifi but at the moment 12GB three data sim costs £32 and 24GB £44.

Ive read that the three “all-in-one” £20 top-up will work in a mifi (after sim is activated in a hand set) and that the whole 12GB data can be used abroad. Can anybody confirm this?

there is also an “all-in-one” £25 top-up that comes with 30GB data but only 12GB can be used abroad so is pointless paying the extra, is this correct?

So if I’m right, the only disadvantage of using the “all-in-one” £20 top-up in a mifi over the 12GB data sim is that the “all-in-one” £20 top-up expires after 30 days?

The mifi is only 3g and the phone is 4g but I understand that in feel-at-home destinations speeds are capped at 3g anyway.

Thanks..
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
United States is a Feel At Home Around the World destination, so you won't be charged for using up to 9GB of data – it'll simply come out of your credit or Add-on allowance. After that a small surcharge applies (see below).

If you've gone over your allowance in a Feel At Home Around the World destination, you'll pay special lower roaming rates of 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1p per MB, letting you use your phone abroad at no extra cost, or you can buy an Add-on in My3.
murtgurge28 m ago

United States is a Feel At Home Around the World destination, so you won't …United States is a Feel At Home Around the World destination, so you won't be charged for using up to 9GB of data – it'll simply come out of your credit or Add-on allowance. After that a small surcharge applies (see below).If you've gone over your allowance in a Feel At Home Around the World destination, you'll pay special lower roaming rates of 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1p per MB, letting you use your phone abroad at no extra cost, or you can buy an Add-on in My3.

All £20 is used for the bundle though isn’t it? So there will be no more data available after 9GB?
Multiple positive yes, some negative yes, although some 12GB yes may be 9GB yes.
Yes all the 9GB/12GB data via Three AIO20 can be used in the FAH countries inc USA. Yes the SIM must be activated in UK before travel. Yes the AIO20 expires after 30days, or before if the allowances are exhausted (but the SIM remains active waiting for optional topup). Yes there is no benefit of AIO25 over AIO20 for data roaming applications cos of the 9GB/12GB data roaming limit.
The data roaming allowance of 9GB or 12GB appears contradictory as
max 9GB PAYG data roaming stated here three.co.uk/Sup…oad
max 12GB PAYG data roaming stated here three.co.uk/fee…me/
although if purchasing the AIO20 via combination of i) £20 topup voucher ii) + applying topup by call in UK + iii) on same call converting the £20 to AIO20, the voice prompts state 12GB data roaming limit. Go figure.
Other considerations: Three doesn't seem to like more than one AIOxx add-on being applied to a SIM in less than 30days, although they can be stacked (but not much use if you exhaust all roaming data on say day 13 and the stacked AIOxx doesn't become active for another 17days+). So if you think you may need more than one block of 9GB/12GB, it may be best to have separate SIMS for each required block of 9GB/12GB, all activated, toppedup and with AIO20 applied in UK prior to travel, but obvsly that means max 30days travel before all AIO allowances will expire on all SIMs.
Have I missed a permutation?
AndyRoyd17 h, 17 m ago

Multiple positive yes, some negative yes, although some 12GB yes may be …Multiple positive yes, some negative yes, although some 12GB yes may be 9GB yes. Yes all the 9GB/12GB data via Three AIO20 can be used in the FAH countries inc USA. Yes the SIM must be activated in UK before travel. Yes the AIO20 expires after 30days, or before if the allowances are exhausted (but the SIM remains active waiting for optional topup). Yes there is no benefit of AIO25 over AIO20 for data roaming applications cos of the 9GB/12GB data roaming limit.The data roaming allowance of 9GB or 12GB appears contradictory asmax 9GB PAYG data roaming stated here http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Pay_As_You_Go/Topping_up_abroadmax 12GB PAYG data roaming stated here http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/although if purchasing the AIO20 via combination of i) £20 topup voucher ii) + applying topup by call in UK + iii) on same call converting the £20 to AIO20, the voice prompts state 12GB data roaming limit. Go figure.Other considerations: Three doesn't seem to like more than one AIOxx add-on being applied to a SIM in less than 30days, although they can be stacked (but not much use if you exhaust all roaming data on say day 13 and the stacked AIOxx doesn't become active for another 17days+). So if you think you may need more than one block of 9GB/12GB, it may be best to have separate SIMS for each required block of 9GB/12GB, all activated, toppedup and with AIO20 applied in UK prior to travel, but obvsly that means max 30days travel before all AIO allowances will expire on all SIMs.Have I missed a permutation?

Tethering not allowed on this AIO20 sim? I think I even used foxtel(?) app once to hide tethering but it didn’t work and it was blocked but I’ve read these AIO sims they work fine in mifi devices, yes?
Madchester6 h, 32 m ago

Tethering not allowed on this AIO20 sim? I think I even used foxtel(?) …Tethering not allowed on this AIO20 sim? I think I even used foxtel(?) app once to hide tethering but it didn’t work and it was blocked but I’ve read these AIO sims they work fine in mifi devices, yes?

The written T&C for 3 handset PAYG excludes use for data tethering in UK and also use in non-handset devices, however both sceanrios are not functionally restricted in UK assuming the device is (generally) not Three-branded, and obviously unlocked and minimum 3G-capable! Tethering 3 PAYG or handset contract data in UK is near-100% guaranteed without issue in a non-3 mifi or via Foxfi app with Foxfi key when used in an Android handset using A5 Lollipop or earlier; similar scenario when roaming using same kit may be less successful (not enough examples to provide definitive opinion). I have no specific knowledge of 3 PAYG mifi data roaming.
AndyRoyd9 h, 46 m ago

The written T&C for 3 handset PAYG excludes use for data tethering in UK …The written T&C for 3 handset PAYG excludes use for data tethering in UK and also use in non-handset devices, however both sceanrios are not functionally restricted in UK assuming the device is (generally) not Three-branded, and obviously unlocked and minimum 3G-capable! Tethering 3 PAYG or handset contract data in UK is near-100% guaranteed without issue in a non-3 mifi or via Foxfi app with Foxfi key when used in an Android handset using A5 Lollipop or earlier; similar scenario when roaming using same kit may be less successful (not enough examples to provide definitive opinion). I have no specific knowledge of 3 PAYG mifi data roaming.

I read a quote from a seller on Amazon that these PAYG trio AIO work in mifi on data roaming so my family and I can use 9GB data on 4 devices simultaneously for £20 which is better than paying £32 for 12GB. Our hotel(s) have WiFi so 9GB should be ok if we switch off auto updates and avoid streaming video.
Madchester13 m ago

I read a quote from a seller on Amazon that these PAYG trio AIO work in …I read a quote from a seller on Amazon that these PAYG trio AIO work in mifi on data roaming so my family and I can use 9GB data on 4 devices simultaneously for £20 which is better than paying £32 for 12GB. Our hotel(s) have WiFi so 9GB should be ok if we switch off auto updates and avoid streaming video.

Good to know. May be wise to cover all bases and request the seller confirm the statement is (still) current, and assuming the same seller offers standard or discounted pricing, buy from that seller because 3 will dismiss any "it didn't work when roaming" claims as being outside the t&c.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants