Cheapest one-day car insurance deals?

Found 29th Nov 2012
Hi guys,

My car has been off the road for over half a year as I've been away from home, and now has no MOT, no tax and I have no insurance.

So, I have booked the car in for an MOT today, I understand I don't need tax if I'm just taking it for MOT, although once I get it to pass the MOT, then I'll tax it.

And of course, being in the UK, legally I can't drive it anywhere without insurance. So before I go ahead and rush into an insurance plan (need to do some research), I need to check I can get the car working in the next few weeks (and can afford it too), so I thought one-day insurance might be the best option. It's a shame to have to spend it just to head about a mile down the road and back, but I guess best to be safe than sorry.

Has anyone got any experience with one-day insurance and/or is anyone aware of any cheap offers? Any other advice is appreciated, thanks!

Community Updates
29 Comments
You'll be looking in the region of £35-50 a day, the more days you purchase the cheaper it will be.

There are some insurance companies that will provide you with a short term policy of 30 days.
You could get the car transported to the MOT station, as long as it remains off road.
I have a policy on my other car with directline and got a days insurance for £12 on my new one. No idea if already having a policy with them makes a big difference or not though. a friend did the same through Admiral, but again, he already had a policy with them
Or get somebody to give you a tow, my insurance allows this, (I even phoned up to double check), not sure if all do.
melipona

Or get somebody to give you a tow, my insurance allows this, (I even … Or get somebody to give you a tow, my insurance allows this, (I even phoned up to double check), not sure if all do.

Not legal, the car would be " on road ".
melipona

Or get somebody to give you a tow, my insurance allows this, (I even … Or get somebody to give you a tow, my insurance allows this, (I even phoned up to double check), not sure if all do.

You need insurance for a car to sit on the road so why would you not if its being towed?? I would doubt this can be right...who are you insured with?
Cant you ask the garage to collect it?

They may have some kind of special trade insurance.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=cheap+on+day+car+insurance&src=IE-SearchBox&Form=IE8SRC&adlt=strict

quick google serach
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the help Appreciated.

Towing/getting the car transported isn't an option for me today unfortunately, and that seems to be a sensitive subject anyway!

The garage is Halfords Autocentre as they were cheapest by far with their half price MOT offer. They don't offer any special insurance or pick up

Hmmm still a bit undecided. My insurance quotes are coming up at £80 a month roughly cheapest, so trying to weigh things up.
Original Poster
welshgirl1978

http://www.bing.com/search?q=cheap+on+day+car+insurance&src=IE-SearchBox&Form=IE8SRC&adlt=strictquick google serach

Thanks I already did some googling and comparing though, just wondering if anyone had any experience, advice or deals.
I know about transporting non road legal cars. It's a grey area regarding the law but after alot of research later & got an answer.

You can tow a can aslong as it is not moving under it's own power & the drive wheels are not on the road.
Banned
might be cheaper to take out a years insurance and cancel in the 14 day cooling off period in which case most will only charge a £25 admin fee
You have a 14-day cooling off period with any insurance policy. The unscrupulous could use this to their advantage and just pay for the days they have used the vehicle. Not suggesting for a second that this would be something you'd be interested in...
Edited by: "momartin" 29th Nov 2012
surely if you have an appointment, you can drive it there?
Original Poster
doritos

surely if you have an appointment, you can drive it there?

I looked up online and I can only legally drive it to an MOT, even with an appointment, if i have insurance. It's only a mile down the road but I just don't particularly want to risk it...
Original Poster
momartin

You have a 14-day cooling off period with any insurance policy. The … You have a 14-day cooling off period with any insurance policy. The unscrupulous could use this to their advantage and just pay for the days they have used the vehicle. Not suggesting for a second that this would be something you'd be interested in...

I was unaware of this... Hmmm. Thing is, if the car is ready to go and I can afford to fix anything, or if it doesnt need any work at all, I'll end up going ahead with the cheapest insurance anyway as I have no other choice....
Original Poster
WaxMechaniK

I was unaware of this... Hmmm. Thing is, if the car is ready to go and I … I was unaware of this... Hmmm. Thing is, if the car is ready to go and I can afford to fix anything, or if it doesnt need any work at all, I'll end up going ahead with the cheapest insurance anyway as I have no other choice....

Hmm just read this on Confused.com though:

Cancelling at the start of the policy
UK insurance rules state that consumers have a 14-day “cooling off” period when they purchase most kinds of cover. This means that, if you want to end a policy within two weeks of receiving your documentation, you should receive a more or less full refund of your premiums. But if you cancel within the cooling-off period, you may have to pay an administration fee (typically less than a full cancellation charge) as well as the cost of however many days you were covered for.
Yes but, if you can get insured for £80 a month, then that is £2.60~ a day.

A lot better than £30 temp cover a day X)
Banned
Why dont you get someone who has a fully comp policy, that allows them to drive any other car third party, to ring their insurance company and register that they are going to drive your car and get them to drive the car for the MOT. I did this about 2 years ago, for a mate and it cost me £12.
AndyC1971

Why dont you get someone who has a fully comp policy, that allows them to … Why dont you get someone who has a fully comp policy, that allows them to drive any other car third party, to ring their insurance company and register that they are going to drive your car and get them to drive the car for the MOT. I did this about 2 years ago, for a mate and it cost me £12.

The car still needs to be insured to allow them to drive it third party.
I think the cheapest overall bet is to arrange the car to be MOT'ed at a main dealer who offers a free collection and delivery service. Explain that the driver will need to use trade plates for the collection and return. This should only cost you the MOT test fee.
Original Poster
Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it!

After reading your comments I made up my mind and just went ahead with sorting out an annual policy instead of a one-day as its much more cost effective, despite my expensive insurance rates, if im expecting to drive the car properly this month.

I managed to get back and forth the MOT centre. Damn thing failed £520 quote from Halfords for brake pads, brake discs, suspension arm and wheel alignment (roughly). Not going to pay that much so going to gather some quotes together I think from other local centres.

Thanks again!
WaxMechaniK

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it!After reading your … Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it!After reading your comments I made up my mind and just went ahead with sorting out an annual policy instead of a one-day as its much more cost effective, despite my expensive insurance rates, if im expecting to drive the car properly this month.I managed to get back and forth the MOT centre. Damn thing failed £520 quote from Halfords for brake pads, brake discs, suspension arm and wheel alignment (roughly). Not going to pay that much so going to gather some quotes together I think from other local centres.Thanks again!

I would get it tested at another garage first, these chain garages are awful for ripping you of on mot's
Saw your thread a bit late. Was going to recommend doing a hpi check on it as I'm sure they offer 7 days free insurance
£520, holy carp what are you driving a BMW?
They don't call them " Halfrauds " for nothing...(_;)
Banned
greenmachine12

I would get it tested at another garage first, these chain garages are … I would get it tested at another garage first, these chain garages are awful for ripping you of on mot's

+1

Halfrauds wanted £600 of work for my MOT failures. Went to another garage for the MOT and they said it only needed brake pads and then passed the MOT (total cost £150)
WaxMechaniK

The garage is Halfords Autocentre as they were cheapest by far with their … The garage is Halfords Autocentre as they were cheapest by far with their half price MOT offer. They don't offer any special insurance or pick up

Who didn't know this was going to end in tears except the OP? Halfords does not get any subsidy from the govt. to fund its MOT services so how did you think it was going to make its half-price offer pay for itself? To be honest, I run a mile from any garage offering cut price or free MOT testing.
Does cancelling within 14days cooling-off period incurs any charges? How to find how much theses charges(admin/others) can be?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants