Groups
    EXPIRED

Cheapest place for GU10 LED / SMD Bulbs?

Been looking at buying some GU10 LED / SMD Bulbs? But don't want to be paying through the nose as its defeating the object of saving money to replace the halogen ones i've currently got. Need to start cutting back due to EON putting my electric up by 9% and gas by 3%!!! Arrrgh makes me so mad they can get away with it! Anyway......

I need at least 12. (6 x Kitchen / 4 x Landing and 2 spot lights) So at least 10 need to give out decent light.

Any ideas where to find them at decent prices?

Contemplated buying them from Dealextreme or similar but then dubious about the safety aspects etc, don't want my house burning down for the sake of saving a few quid!

Any pointers / tips will be much appreciated :-)

11 Comments

home bargains has them for 49p each, i bought some to check them out as mine keep going after only a short period of time.... i was thinking i was buying inferior bulbs...

Original Poster

bikerjodie

home bargains has them for 49p each, i bought some to check them out as … home bargains has them for 49p each, i bought some to check them out as mine keep going after only a short period of time.... i was thinking i was buying inferior bulbs...

Are you sure they are GU10 LED type and not just the standard bayonnet/screw Energy saving ones, as that is very cheap and i go in Home Bargains quite often and have never seen them selling the LED type?
    Edited by: "steevieboy4u" 26th Jan 2011

I got mine from Costco - £5 for 10.

I used to use these bulbs bloody expensive but I got some from poundland once.

Mind you....I did turn the light on once and the bulb exploded, still got the scars and bits of glass still in me.

My advice, pay out and get the expensive ones.

hotukdeals.com/dea…404

Seem a bit dull though.
    Edited by: "greg_68" 26th Jan 2011

Original Poster

Think everyone apart from Greg has mis-read what i am looking for i am after the LED version of the GU10's not the standard Halogen ones or the Fluorescent Energy Saving type.

Like these that Greg mentioned. But don't want to be paying £6 a pop ideally half this price or less

http://www.lidl.co.uk/static_content/lidl_uk/images/UK/UK_56853_01_b.jpg

The one on the right hand side of the three above
    Edited by: "steevieboy4u" 26th Jan 2011

Are they ever bright as the none LED type though no matter how much you pay?

I looked into LEDs a while back, from research, it seems it's almost impossible to get decent value ones that last and produce a good quality of light. I'm staying clear until they come down in price.

I bought some, tenner each, they're good and save more money than they cost. But my dad got some from Ikea, not LED, but energy savers, and they actually save the same amount of energy and were much cheaper than mine!

Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments. I'm beginning to come to the same conclusion that they just aren't suitable as a useable means of lighting a room sufficiently. Can't believe the technology is taking so long to advance when everyone is screaming about saving energy due to the environment.

Or should i say due to RIP OFF BRITAIN???? oO

Original Poster

Couldn't resist and out of curiosity just bought 3 different types off Ebay to try:

Items numbers:

Probaby just wasted over £7 but i needed to know myself if they are any good or not
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Has anyone found any Baileys Pumpkin Spiced for sale in the UK ?12
      2. What's the name of that brand that looks like Playstation symbols?34
      3. Anyone got a spare Argos 10% code from the Xbox Minecraft mistake?22
      4. Decent Mp3 Player?88

See more discussions