Cheapest place to buy protein & protein foods

Found 16th Apr
Hi, after dieting for a few months now Ive very nearly reach my target weight, however, I need to start incorporating more protein my diet. I was wondering where you all buy your protein powders and foods with added protein etc for a reasonable price as I'm not sure if the ones online like myprotein are rip offs or that's just the going rate?

thanks a bunch
Community Updates
AskProtein
17 Comments
deleted396333
This is gonna be fun
I eat nearly 200g protein a day. Trying to maintain muscle mass while cutting now, I have a protein shake in the morning from Myprotein 1.5 scoops is about 45g protein. 2 tins of tuna for lunch, 50g protein, a large tuna steak or salmon for dinner then another shake. Protein powders are not good but are convenient IMO, plant based protein is the best but it’s hard to consume enough of it to get lots of protein. I’ve also stopped eating meat everyday to look more after my health rather than my appearance.

First off what do you want protein for? What are your goals can I ask?
Holland and Barretts may have some offers on with the 1p deals back again
jayonline8556 m ago

I eat nearly 200g protein a day. Trying to maintain muscle mass while …I eat nearly 200g protein a day. Trying to maintain muscle mass while cutting now, I have a protein shake in the morning from Myprotein 1.5 scoops is about 45g protein. 2 tins of tuna for lunch, 50g protein, a large tuna steak or salmon for dinner then another shake. Protein powders are not good but are convenient IMO, plant based protein is the best but it’s hard to consume enough of it to get lots of protein. I’ve also stopped eating meat everyday to look more after my health rather than my appearance. First off what do you want protein for? What are your goals can I ask?

Well just in general Ive nearly lost the weight I wanted to be classed as NHS 'healthy' BMI however I've still got plenty of body fat, so my aim is to there or thereabouts stay the same weight but burn the fat and not lose too much more muscle, and then eventually get round to gaining muscle. I hardly ever reach my RDA of protein so I'd like to start doing so is all atm I just would like recommendations to protein products to supplement a healthy diet that won't break the bank in truth, as you can't eat lean chicken every day
Keep up the good work. In the meantime try Myprotein for 5kg bag of impact whey protein. It comes in sizes of 1kg, 2.5kg and 5kg. The 5kg bag is about £60 but theirs always a promo code somewhere for about 30% off. Good luck
jayonline8513 h, 54 m ago

I eat nearly 200g protein a day. Trying to maintain muscle mass while …I eat nearly 200g protein a day. Trying to maintain muscle mass while cutting now, I have a protein shake in the morning from Myprotein 1.5 scoops is about 45g protein. 2 tins of tuna for lunch, 50g protein, a large tuna steak or salmon for dinner then another shake. Protein powders are not good but are convenient IMO, plant based protein is the best but it’s hard to consume enough of it to get lots of protein. I’ve also stopped eating meat everyday to look more after my health rather than my appearance. First off what do you want protein for? What are your goals can I ask?

Plant based protein is the worst as it's incomplete
stephenp9313 h, 0 m ago

Well just in general Ive nearly lost the weight I wanted to be classed as …Well just in general Ive nearly lost the weight I wanted to be classed as NHS 'healthy' BMI however I've still got plenty of body fat, so my aim is to there or thereabouts stay the same weight but burn the fat and not lose too much more muscle, and then eventually get round to gaining muscle. I hardly ever reach my RDA of protein so I'd like to start doing so is all atm I just would like recommendations to protein products to supplement a healthy diet that won't break the bank in truth, as you can't eat lean chicken every day

You hardly reach daily RDA for protein? You understand that it's 0.8g per kg , on average that's max 80g if you weight 100kg .... Chicken dinner has 50g protein itself .... Some people smh
mattsk39 m ago

This doesn’t make it the worst protein, you can easily have amino acid supplements to replace what you aren’t gaining as a complete protein. Eating meat every day for protein has many long term effects on health and consuming whey everyday isn’t a good option for good nutrition. So it depends on the individual whether plant protein is the the worst, everyone has different circumstances and eating habits. What may be the worse for you may be the best for someone else.
mattsk1 h, 26 m ago

You hardly reach daily RDA for protein? You understand that it's 0.8g per …You hardly reach daily RDA for protein? You understand that it's 0.8g per kg , on average that's max 80g if you weight 100kg .... Chicken dinner has 50g protein itself .... Some people smh

I eat a lot of carbs what can I say bruh
stephenp9315 h, 40 m ago

Well just in general Ive nearly lost the weight I wanted to be classed as …Well just in general Ive nearly lost the weight I wanted to be classed as NHS 'healthy' BMI however I've still got plenty of body fat, so my aim is to there or thereabouts stay the same weight but burn the fat and not lose too much more muscle, and then eventually get round to gaining muscle. I hardly ever reach my RDA of protein so I'd like to start doing so is all atm I just would like recommendations to protein products to supplement a healthy diet that won't break the bank in truth, as you can't eat lean chicken every day

33652092-d2kuO.jpg
Currently an offer on Myprotein, 25% off and a free 1kg bag of protein if you spend £50 plus free delivery.
deleted1416210
mattsk3 h, 13 m ago

You know your profile pic should be enough of a clue, but I've seen you moving from thread to thread for weeks now typing what can only be described as complete falsehoods.
I'm not sure if it's intensional, or your just ignorant, but spreading such falsehoods is extremely dangerous especially when it comes to peoples health.
Yesterday it was plastics, today it's protein. Do you make it up as you go along?
Incomplete proteins? Do you have any idea how the human body actually works?
Every day proteins are dumped from our bodies back into our digestive tracts. These proteins are then available to be broken down/recycled creating a resource pool of amino acids which can then be reassembled as required.
PrincessJellybean15 h, 36 m ago

You know your profile pic should be enough of a clue, but I've seen you …You know your profile pic should be enough of a clue, but I've seen you moving from thread to thread for weeks now typing what can only be described as complete falsehoods.I'm not sure if it's intensional, or your just ignorant, but spreading such falsehoods is extremely dangerous especially when it comes to peoples health.Yesterday it was plastics, today it's protein. Do you make it up as you go along?Incomplete proteins? Do you have any idea how the human body actually works? Every day proteins are dumped from our bodies back into our digestive tracts. These proteins are then available to be broken down/recycled creating a resource pool of amino acids which can then be reassembled as required.

so where is the science supporting your nonsense claims princess?
deleted1416210
mattsk12 m ago

so where is the science supporting your nonsense claims princess?

Science for what? That you can build muscle with plant protein? Or basic human biology?
PrincessJellybean1 h, 39 m ago

Science for what? That you can build muscle with plant protein? Or basic …Science for what? That you can build muscle with plant protein? Or basic human biology?

Your claim that protein are dumped into a digestive tract....
Perhaps you need to look up what limiting amino acids are and how does that compromise vegetable sources of protein ....
deleted1416210
mattsk49 m ago

Your claim that protein are dumped into a digestive tract....Perhaps you …Your claim that protein are dumped into a digestive tract....Perhaps you need to look up what limiting amino acids are and how does that compromise vegetable sources of protein ....

I don't need to look anything up, your making assumptions and hoping they will bolster your argument.
The reason I haven't advised the OP in relation to their original question is because I know nothing about their diet and lifestyle and it would be simply irresponsible for me to assume the facts of the situation.
In relation to your argument, you are assuming that a person; whoever that may be is not eating a balanced diet in the first place and thereby will become deficient in a particular amino acid because they decide to put down the chicken and eat lentils, chickpeas, nuts or whatever. Anyone who cares about their health and physique should be taking the effort to ensure that their nutritional needs are covered, and this is true whether their protein comes from plants or animals. You can build perfectly good muscle ( indeed many would say better muscle) from plant based sources.
Our bodies are continuously 'self cannibalising', recycling molecules to be used again, this isn't some wild assumption it's simply basic biology, indeed the majority of the amino acids we get each day will come from this recycling.
It matters not what evidence I present to you, as you have an agenda, and I have no desire to waste my time arguing with you, my intension was to simply correct the falsehood you were alluding to regarding protein from plant sources.
To put the biology simply, you don't need to eat a bone to make a bone, an eyeball to make an eyeball, or complete proteins to make new proteins.....the individual 'ingredients' of the structure can come from a variety of sources, including from within the body itself, or other food items you choose to eat.
There is a film due to come out called the Game Changers which is set to bust the myth which says meat is necessary for protein. I urge you to open your mind and watch it, and you will find all the 'citation' you need.
Edited by: "deleted1416210" 18th Apr
PrincessJellybean1 h, 4 m ago

I don't need to look anything up, your making assumptions and hoping they …I don't need to look anything up, your making assumptions and hoping they will bolster your argument. The reason I haven't advised the OP in relation to their original question is because I know nothing about their diet and lifestyle and it would be simply irresponsible for me to assume the facts of the situation.In relation to your argument, you are assuming that a person; whoever that may be is not eating a balanced diet in the first place and thereby will become deficient in a particular amino acid because they decide to put down the chicken and eat lentils, chickpeas, nuts or whatever. Anyone who cares about their health and physique should be taking the effort to ensure that their nutritional needs are covered, and this is true whether their protein comes from plants or animals. You can build perfectly good muscle ( indeed many would say better muscle) from plant based sources.Our bodies are continuously 'self cannibalising', recycling molecules to be used again, this isn't some wild assumption it's simply basic biology, indeed the majority of the amino acids we get each day will come from this recycling.It matters not what evidence I present to you, as you have an agenda, and I have no desire to waste my time arguing with you, my intension was to simply correct the falsehood you were alluding to regarding protein from plant sources.To put the biology simply, you don't need to eat a bone to make a bone, an eyeball to make an eyeball, or complete proteins to make new proteins.....the individual 'ingredients' of the structure can come from a variety of sources, including from within the body itself, or other food items you choose to eat.There is a film due to come out called the Game Changers which is set to bust the myth which says meat is necessary for protein. I urge you to open your mind and watch it, and you will find all the 'citation' you need.

the fact you refuse to look up a simple information proves your ignorance.
I make my claims based on evidence and statistics. Me claiming that a person is or is not eating a balanced diet is based on evidence (suggest you check NDNS survey - guessing you will refuse to look at that as well)

everything you claim is unverified and unsupported nonsense with no merit or single piece of evidence
Claiming that a documentary (directed by vegans) is a proof is just laughable.... on top of that you state I have an agenda (ohh the irony). Your documentary is on the same level as What the health, vaxxed, fed up and many more biased non scientific scaremongering nonsense
but looking at what you wrote and your refusal to learn something new indicates you are one of those vegans that try to impose their lifestyle on others....
so next time you intend to reply to anything I write you better have quality citations (not documentaries)

PS> Mods next time you delete a my comment please highlight which part of is offensive or disrespectful
deleted1416210
mattsk1 h, 32 m ago

the fact you refuse to look up a simple information proves your …the fact you refuse to look up a simple information proves your ignorance.I make my claims based on evidence and statistics. Me claiming that a person is or is not eating a balanced diet is based on evidence (suggest you check NDNS survey - guessing you will refuse to look at that as well)everything you claim is unverified and unsupported nonsense with no merit or single piece of evidenceClaiming that a documentary (directed by vegans) is a proof is just laughable.... on top of that you state I have an agenda (ohh the irony). Your documentary is on the same level as What the health, vaxxed, fed up and many more biased non scientific scaremongering nonsensebut looking at what you wrote and your refusal to learn something new indicates you are one of those vegans that try to impose their lifestyle on others....so next time you intend to reply to anything I write you better have quality citations (not documentaries)PS> Mods next time you delete a my comment please highlight which part of is offensive or disrespectful

Refusal to learn something new? What you said isn't new information to me or the scientific community. I know exactly what you are talking about which is why I felt qualified to address it.
You suggest I'm one of "those vegans who tries to impose their lifestyle on others"is this because I corrected your misleading comments about consuming plant protein, or because of the documentary I asked you to watch?
To suggest that a documentary is scaremongering nonsense because you don't agree with the lifestyle choices of the director is a laughable. The evidence is presented, how you interpret it is down to you entirely.
I have no vegan agenda, I didn't come in here telling people to only eat plant proteins did I, I came in here to address your ignorant comments regarding nutrition and protein synthesis.
I haven't told the OP where to get their protein from because I don't know anything about their diet, it's the OP's decision whether he chooses plant or animal protein, or a mixture of both.
You seem to be under the illusion I'm some deranged vegan, this image perhaps helps sort things in your mind, but without wishing to completely shatter your image of me I studied at medical school before I was a vegan, I'm a highly qualified biologist and have studied in the field of biological sciences for nearly 30 years.
You seem obsessed with citation, yet you always fail to support your own claims. Hhmmmm
I've spent years trawling medical and other scientific libraries around the world, this combined with studying statistics to degree level means I could present evidence here to support any argument, whether it be true or not. Unless you can interpret the evidence, anything I could present is worthless. The fact that you cant even grasp the basics indicates me that i would be simply wasting my time this afternoon gathering information from said libraries to present here, and surprisingly enough I don't have citation for everything I say immediately to hand and it would take time.
You disagree with what I say, thats fine. I disagree with what you say and that's the point. An internet forum is entirely the wrong place to be seeking impartial health advice.
I would thus advise anyone to thoroughly research anything they read on a forum themselves, when it comes to such matters.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants